U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-17-2010, 10:39 PM

182 posts, read 263,489 times
Default Visitor medical insurance in us

Hi everyone,

My family and I are coming to the US in August and I was going to arrange travel insurance from Australia for 12 months. However I found some sites that talk about 'visitor medical insurance' in the US for people from other countries - stating that our travel insurance wont necessarily cover medical costs.

Does anyone know anything about this cover, is it necessary with travel insurance purchased in Australia, if I do need it what insurers do I go with and which do I avoid like the plague.....sorry I saw the movie Sicko and was horrified - want to make sure I don't make a silly mistake.

Thanks so much for your help
Really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 10:42 PM

oops had to do this message so i can subscribe to thread.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:30 AM

5,388 posts, read 9,476,235 times
Insurance is issued depending on where you live. Search blue cross blue shield and your state for a website.

This is going to be interesting with so many American's without insurance; I'm one of them. Good luck!

Old 05-18-2010, 06:33 AM

Hmm that wouldn't be the same for visitor insurance surely...cause there wouldnt be one state necessarily. I might find a few companies then you can all let me knkow what you think of them?

Old 05-18-2010, 06:55 AM

5,388 posts, read 9,476,235 times
Although we understand the concept I am not sure that visitor insurance is readily available. You can check an insurance company's rating at A.M. Best; another google search should find the site.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:39 AM

1,736 posts, read 744,960 times
I think your best option is to talk to your local travel insurance company. Be warned, though, travel insurance to the USA is massivly more expensive than to all other countries. It can more than triple the cost of your policy.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:54 AM

7,590 posts, read 1,351,352 times
As far as I'm aware you'll need to buy travel insurance in Australia before you go... and yes, as Grim Reader says, coverage for the US is much more expensive than coverage for other countries. The insurance will also cover you for baggage loss and all manner of other things, and in my view is absolutely necessary especially for a long trip such as yours.

Luckily in maybe a dozen trips to the US I have only needed to make one claim, many years ago. I needed to visit the ER and had 4 stitches in my hand. I had to pay the bill then and there, and claim it from the insurance company when I got home. I imagine, if you have a more serious medical situation (ie one costing a lot of money), there are alternatives to having to pay up front before claiming.

As far as which company to use is concerned, the best idea would be to get a few quotes. I can't remember who I used last time, and have now thrown away the documentation... but I think they're all much of a muchness cost-wise. It will be expensive for 12 months that's for sure!

I'm presuming you're visiting the US for holiday/visiting friends or family purposes... if the trip has anything to do with your work, your employer may offer some arrangement.

If you have Australian private health insurance, it would be worth checking to see if you can suspend monthly payments while you're out of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance