U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 04:01 PM

660 posts, read 1,320,822 times

Advertisements

I need to deal with. As some of you here know I have been under a tremendous amount of stress in the last year, changing jobs, moving to be closer to my son, and fighting a custody battle that appears -- for better or worse -- will be over this upcoming Monday.

Throughout the many months I have gone through stretches where I was not getting enough nourishment (homeless shelters, at least the ones I was in for awhile, are run poorly). Then there have been times where I was so stressed out, with divorce and all, that I wasn't even hungry. I would chew candy or drink soda. Lately I have a sort of different problem, one that has me worried.

This is the part I do not like talking about. About three weeks ago or so I started getting a burning sensation in my belly area. It was (and it's there now) the kind of sensation you get when you are very hungry and have not eaten for some time. So, I would just eat or drink something to make the burning sensation go away. In the past week or so...this is the really uncomfortable part for me to talk about.......food seems to be just going right through me. In these three weeks my stools have usually been green in color, and a lookup on the web says that it means that food is moving too quickly through the digestive tract to be absorbed, thus the lack of change in color. I have been having a lot of diarrhea. I look in the mirror and can tell that I am losing weight. I am starting to see my rib cage. Right now i do not have health insurance but am working on getting it. So, I do not have the money to go to the doctor.

Have any of you all experienced this? What can I take "over the counter" to try and get things straightened out? I've not ever gotten sick throughout this whole ordeal. There have been times that I was nauseated, but I figure that the kind of stress I am under will do that to a person. I don't think it's cancer, I'm not really tired or anything. (but you never know about that sort of thing unless it is checked out).

Any ideas? Any questions that you can ask me to help me to get to the 'bottom' (no pun intended, LOL!!!) of this?

I dread going to the doctor and them asking for a stool sample. I already have it planned out. If it happens I will wrap the container and tell them they are not to look at it in my presence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 04:53 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
They don't look at it while you are there. What normally happens is they give you a container, you go home and "deposit" the next time you neded to, and take it back - wrapped in a bag or whatever. They send it to the lab and call you later.

As for what's wrong, I would guess you have wrecked your digestion and need something to straighten it out. Can't help with that one, sorry.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:00 PM

31,572 posts, read 12,705,655 times
Sounds familiar to me and sounds like IBS of which I have suffered and was triggered by stress! I can relate to the burning sensation.
I started with bland diet, drank fennel or peppermint tea. All I ate for a long time was potatoes, rice, bananas, white (sourdough) bread. Unfortunately for me it did not subside until i quit my job and went on a Rx called Librax.
Remember, this is just a guess, based on your stress level and symptoms.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:25 PM

889 posts, read 2,307,427 times
I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this. I will be praying for you!!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:35 PM

65 posts, read 189,912 times
i had that happen many years ago and was diagnosed with a peptic ulcer.had the same burning in stomach feeling.i was told stress would make it worse.and i was living place to place and not eating well at the time.i ate a medium fry and a sandwich a day.as far as drinking all i drank were dr. peppers and nothing else.i weighed 100 pounds and was six foot tall.
i'm gonna add something because i'm concerned for you.a few months after this i was still barely eating and crashing where i could when i came down with some really bad seizures.somehow i contracted meningitis.that was my wake up call.spent two hard weeks in hospital.

something has to give.your gonna have to make some decisions.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:16 PM

3,182 posts, read 9,221,015 times
I'm not a doctor, but I'd recommend trying to slowly reintroduce yourself to a balanced diet. Some probiotics (probiotic yogurt is cheap) might also help. You could have really whacked-out your normal digestive flora.

For your nerves and stress, I swear by Valerian Root. Valium was developed using the same basic brain interactions. A quick search about Valerian root will show that there are little to no side effects, it eases anxiety and helps you sleep- but without acting like a sleeping pill and impairing judgement or motor skills, you can't overdose, and it's not addictive.

I swear, when I am stressed out, this stuff really helps me get calm!

$5 or so at Wal-mart, Target, CVS, ect.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:08 AM

523 posts, read 3,278,920 times
i would strongly suggest not trying to manage this without consulting a physician. i understand your lack of insurance, and your reluctance to go, however, unintentional weight loss combined with recent change in bowel habit are never symptoms which should be ignored.

of course, it doesnt mean its something serious, but it could be. IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning one arrives at that conclusion once reasonable investigation has excluded a more serious underlying cause. it is never a first diagnosis.

please get yourself properly checked out. if embarassment and financial status are the main reasons keeping you away, then im afraid the tactic of burying your head in the sand could ultimately result in a heap more embarassment and cost later down the line.

good luck.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:12 AM

660 posts, read 1,320,822 times
As soon as I can get to a doctor, I'm going to. Thanks all for the advice and kind words, and not making this more of an embarassing topic for me than I am (having no trouble) making it out to be.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:19 AM

889 posts, read 2,307,427 times
Even in our small town, we have a free clinic. You could research to see if there is such a place near you. They are local doctors volunteering, and people that are there working because they really care. Take care!

Old 06-18-2010, 07:26 AM

3,261 posts, read 4,523,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I'm not a doctor, but I'd recommend trying to slowly reintroduce yourself to a balanced diet. Some probiotics (probiotic yogurt is cheap) might also help. You could have really whacked-out your normal digestive flora.

For your nerves and stress, I swear by Valerian Root. Valium was developed using the same basic brain interactions. A quick search about Valerian root will show that there are little to no side effects, it eases anxiety and helps you sleep- but without acting like a sleeping pill and impairing judgement or motor skills, you can't overdose, and it's not addictive.

I swear, when I am stressed out, this stuff really helps me get calm!

$5 or so at Wal-mart, Target, CVS, ect.
Valerian is a very helpful OTC or you could go the route of Chamomile Tea.

It sounds like it could be related to GERD - which is aggravated by stress and anxiety, and which usually goes hand in hand with poor sleep and nutrition.

Cut out the caffeine, sugar, spicy & fried foods for now, drink lots of water, try walking and/or breathing/yoga exercises and most importantly, see your doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness