U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 08:03 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,019,090 times

Advertisements

I'm going to need hearing aids finally so someone who has them talk to me please about what to look for etc. and what brands work well that don't cost an arm and a leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 09:12 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,906,180 times
The first thing you need to do is see a doctor about your hearing loss. Some types of loss simply aren't helped by an aid. You can waste a great deal of money getting one that doesn't work for YOU. It might be a great aid for someone else, but not for you.

Our city has a non-profit organization that sells aids. It is much less costly than the for profit businesses. Your city may have one too. At any rate, get the type of aid that your doctor reccommends.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:27 PM

83 posts, read 47,922 times
I have had hearing loss for four years and Medicare will not pay for it, Medicaid will, the question is why? A hearing aid cost about four thousand dollars and hearing devices are a piece of junk. I live in North Carolina. Thoughts please? Paul

Old 09-02-2015, 04:50 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,662,112 times
Some hearing devices are junk, some are not. Medicare covers medical treatments. Hearing aids are devices, not treatments, and therefore would be covered under whatever covers prescription devices (which, I'm assuming, is what Medicaid covers). I don't know where you're getting your prices from, but over here in Connecticut a high-end PAIR of hearing aids costs around $3500. That's for two, not one, and they're custom fitted for you, and custom calibrated for your specific hearing needs, come with a full 1-year warrantee, and include on, off, omnidirectional, unidirectional, and a noise-reduction button for when you need to use the telephone.

The pair I have are from Seimen's but I dropped one and it broke, and have to have it replaced. The other one is still working fine. When I get the broken one replaced, I've decided to opt -out- of the noise reduction option that I had originally, because I really don't use the phone enough to need it, and it's an extra $800 for the option.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:06 PM

3,515 posts, read 4,363,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Some hearing devices are junk, some are not. Medicare covers medical treatments. Hearing aids are devices, not treatments, and therefore would be covered under whatever covers prescription devices (which, I'm assuming, is what Medicaid covers). I don't know where you're getting your prices from, but over here in Connecticut a high-end PAIR of hearing aids costs around $3500. That's for two, not one, and they're custom fitted for you, and custom calibrated for your specific hearing needs, come with a full 1-year warrantee, and include on, off, omnidirectional, unidirectional, and a noise-reduction button for when you need to use the telephone.

The pair I have are from Seimen's but I dropped one and it broke, and have to have it replaced. The other one is still working fine. When I get the broken one replaced, I've decided to opt -out- of the noise reduction option that I had originally, because I really don't use the phone enough to need it, and it's an extra $800 for the option.
I have significant hearing loss in one ear. The top of the line hearing aid was $3200 and that was three years ago. Just for one.

I wonder why the price difference?

Old 09-02-2015, 07:30 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,662,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I have significant hearing loss in one ear. The top of the line hearing aid was $3200 and that was three years ago. Just for one.

I wonder why the price difference?
Could be a difference in brands, or distributors, your particular needs might require more expensive components than mine do, your location might be a contributing factor. Mine were high-end for my needs, but I don't have "significant" loss. I have moderate loss (it's degenerative nerve damage) in both ears and significant problems with word differentiation.

Could be a combination of any/all of those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness