U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 11:18 PM

450 posts, read 4,212,336 times

Advertisements

I think I have symptoms of neck arthritis. Popping/grinding sensation in neck, neck pain, symptoms are better in the morning and worse at night, muscle tenderness, and a locking up sensation in the neck from time to time. I find that my symptoms are worse when I'm under stress or doing a lot of computer work.

Besides seeing my Dr., which I have an appointment to do, what has worked for people? I assume I'll be prescribed physical therapy. What has helped the most?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 06:03 AM

1,005 posts, read 4,945,603 times
Stretching works best for me. Really seems to help. Take your arms, hang on to a something like a bar, pull away from bar (leaving hands in place) , put your chin to your chest and stretch. I do this often - several times of day. Helps relieve tension and tightness. I also do this for my back. Since I've been doing this, I don't have near as much pain. Hope it work for you.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:26 AM

8,668 posts, read 19,914,691 times
Chiropractic has been the only thing that has helped me with my neck problems..

Old 06-23-2010, 01:53 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,968,048 times
Traction has made the pain almost bearable for my hubby- but then he actually broke his neck at C4/C5/C6 so he has not been pain free since 1994.

Your Doc will send you to PT and they will decide what will be best for you. I will say that moist heat really makes him feel better, so I really recommend that.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:19 PM

263 posts, read 648,615 times
a good chiropractor keeps my neck, and the rest of me moving.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:15 PM

1,238 posts, read 3,965,735 times
I believe arthritis is usually worse in the morning, and better at night after the stiffness has a chance to loosen up. I had similar symptoms to yours and it was due to uneven muscle use-I pull and lift more with my left hand. The vertebra were being pulled by tight, stiff muscles. I had PT during which they used an electric stimulator (actually felt good) heat, massage, manipulation, stretching techniques and elastic band exercise to get the vertebra re-aligned and the muscles strengthened. As long as I continue my stretching and strengthening exercises I have no pain and good flexibility.
I was hesitant to go to a chiropractor-don't like the idea of sudden, violent cracking on my neck. Not sure if they would have addressed the underlying muscular problems. If you tighten up your muscles while doing computer work or under stress, it may be a similar situation.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:38 PM

450 posts, read 4,212,336 times
I find my neck issues are great in the morning, and worse as the day goes on.

But I also find that if I nap on the floor, with no pillow (on carpet), my neck feels great. It's like doing that for an hour in the evening completely gets rid of the neck pain--it's as if it stretches out the neck muscles or something. I figured this out the other day, and have been doing it, and my neck pain has decreased dramatically. Has anyone ever tried this or know why it might help?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 33,502 times
Default Free Neck Pillow

Hi Bass,

As a licensed physical therapist for over 10 years, it is not so uncommon to see symptoms like the ones you have described...it may be due to osteoarthritis or even poor work conditions. It seems your work environment definitely has an impact on the way you feel.

Stress levels can have a tremendous impact on the way you feel...even create pain in some instances.

Sleeping on the floor gives you greater support and less pain. But not an ideal solution long term.

Try using a neck pillow and consider a home traction device. Go to [url=http://www.BulgingDiscFixed.com]BULGING DISC | BULGING DISK[/url] and locate the links provided to make your own neck pillow for free and design your own home traction device.

Also consider using a cold pack or ice pack when you have pain/discomfort.

Good Luck,

Tommy Hoffman, PT
[url=http://www.Bulgingdiscfixed.com]BULGING DISC | BULGING DISK[/url]

Old 03-13-2017, 04:33 AM

27 posts, read 13,425 times
Neck pain has become a very common problem. Many of us rely on painkillers and pain relief sprays which give only a temporary relief. A friend of mine visited a physiotherapy clinic in Mississauga to get rid of the pain Recently, I came across a blog which says about some relaxation methods for stiff necks.
Relaxation Methods For Stiff Necks | Dynamic Physiotherapy
Try this. It is very effective. Hope this would be helpful to many.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:38 AM

1 posts, read 523 times
Default Neck Arthritis Explain

Neck Arthritis or cervical arthritis, also known as cervical osteoarthritis, is a common age-related condition that affects spinal and joints cushions in the neck. The disease caused by the tear and wear of bone and cartilage found in the cervical spine. It can be caused by other factors, mostly because of the age factors. The Symptoms may include shoulder pain, neck stiffness, extreme numb hands, and feet.

The treatment can be done by physical therapy (physiotherapy) and also take drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness