Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 03:12 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times

Advertisements

Does it never end??? Just when I'm finally no longer drinking soda or 100% fruit juices (bottled), I hear something that totally throws me off.

Okay, so I'm at work the other day on my break. I have a small fruit salad that I made myself (strawberries, grapes, blueberries, cantaloup). Someone says "you gotta be careful with that fruit". I said "well, I made this at home and made sure everything was washed". The person said "no, you have to watch all that sugar' I said "I'm pretty sure fruit is good for you and the sugar is natural sugar, not processed or refined'. They said "the fruit sugar is still not good for you". Okay.

Next, I hear that soy is no good for you. If you drink or eat soy, you can get cancer. Okay.

My diet lately consists of: hot cereal for breakfast (oatmeal or grits), Fruit salad for snack, green salad for lunch, and a vegetarian dinner. I've been drinking water or soy milk.

I have a lot of weight to lose. My weight has been causing me a lot of health problems and I'm doing what I can diet-wise to start losing. I've cut out junk food, soda, meat (except the occasional grilled chix breast). I've been walking (and am saving up for a treadmill since I don't have a lot of time to do a lot of walking)

Hearing this "fruit is not good" or "soy will give you cancer" is so discouraging.

Does anyone have an idea if any of this is true??? I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 04:33 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times
I am only going to listen and take advice from a nutritionist.

If one pays attention to everything one hears diet and healthwise, one won't be able to eat anything... if you want good advice, ask people who really know what they are saying.

Not to mention every person is different; obviously there is "general health and diet advice" (e.g. don't eat more than x or y something a day) but as every person is different this is by no means a one-size-fits-all thing.

If it is about health/diet, I will only take advice from a nutritionist. But that is just my opinion.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:35 PM

37,104 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Default Healthy diet

You are on the right track. To lose weight, you need to decrease calories and increase activity.

The fruit is fine, and the soy is fine. The fruit does contain sugar, but it also contains fiber, which will help keep you from feeling hungry. If the peeling is edible, don't remove it --- makes eating fruit just that much easier; just wash and go to it.

There is no evidence that soy causes cancer, either.

Vegetables also help fill you up, especially uncooked.

You may want to read up on a few diets. Weight Watchers is good and the American Heart Association has a good cookbook. The problem with the baked chicken breast is that it gets boring after a while. You need recipes that will control calories yet provide flavor and variety. If you have other family members to feed, you want everybody to eat the same thing, or you begin to feel deprived. Those losing weight just need to eat smaller portions.

I would suggest

* Plan meals at least a week ahead; you don't want to eat unwisely because there is nothing handy.

* Plan snacks; once a week eat something that is a real treat. If you find it hard to keep sweets on hand and not overindulge, do not keep them in the house. Have the treat away from home, and keep it simple, say ice cream or frozen yogurt.

* Consider breaking your daily calories into three meals and three snacks; that gives you less time to get hungry.

* There are tasty frozen meals available; keep some on hand when you are too busy or too tired to cook. Most are 250 to 350 calories, but not very filling. Add a salad, and you will feel like you had a real meal.

* Do not wait for the treadmill; start walking now. Ten or fifteen minutes two or three times a day is a good way to start. When you shop, park as far from the store as you can. Inside the store, walk a lap or two around the perimeter. Go to the mall and walk laps --- many malls open early for walkers. Climb stairs rather than using an elevator.

* When you eat out, look for low fat options. Restaurants serve too much food! Ask for a to-go container, divide everything into reasonable portions, and take the rest home. Do this before you start eating. Avoid appetizers. Have a few bites of bread with the meal, but stay out of the bread before the entree is served. If you think you will be really hungry before the meal is served, eat something before you leave home, clear soup for example. Ask for salad dressing on the side, and choose a low fat version.

* Plan ahead. If you are going to a party and want to have wine, for example, cut a few calories earlier in the day.

* If you have a bad day and eat more than you should, climb back on the wagon; don't give up!

* Portion control is the thing. Use a smaller plate (restaurants now serve us on platters --- this is one big reason we eat too much as a country!)

* Do not let family and friends sabotage your plans. They are jealous!

* Aim for a steady loss of about four to five pounds a month. Be prepared for times when you do not seem to be losing weight. Just stay the course!

* It is not necessary to rigorously count calories, but you do need to be aware of approximately how much you are taking in. Get a calorie counter and a measuring cup. Later, it will come naturally.

* A consultation with a nutritionist can be very valuable. If you need to lose a lot of weight and have any medical conditions that might improve if you do so, your insurance may even cover it. Ask your family physician for a referral; a large medical group may even have someone on its staff.

I am sure others will have more helpful hints for you. You've done the hard part --- making the decision to start!

Old 06-27-2010, 06:10 PM

427 posts, read 550,047 times
It depends on the fruit.

The sugar in fruit is fructose, and while a much less harmful form of sugar, it still is, after all, sugar.

Still, if you're trying to loose weight, I think many nutritionists would suggest you limit your fruit intake.

And also it would depend on your current state of health and again, the type of fruit.

Grapefruit is good(helps encourage weight loss), but it's too acidic for some. The worst may be oranges-too much sugar.

Try getting fruit that is high in fiber(they require more energy to digest so you'll burn more calories) like apples, blueberries, pears, raspberries, kiwi. Berries are pretty low in sugar.

I'm hearing and reading too many negative things about soy these days. Personally, I'm staying clear of it.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:33 PM

293 posts, read 1,035,759 times
I LOVE edamame! Soy beans. SO YUMMY.

I eat all kinds of things. Fruit, veggies, meat. Variety. If you have no sugar problems I see no problem. You don't want to overdo any foods. Fruit salad is full of great vitamins and antioxidents!

Old 06-27-2010, 06:55 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
As long as it's just fruit in a bowl, and you're not adding syrups, or mayo, or other dressings, I don't see why you should be too concerned. You might want to switch up the types of fruit every few days. Not just for variety, but to change up the types of nutrition you're getting. Citrus is loaded with vitamin C. Bananas have incredible amounts of potassium. Grapefruit has some kind of insane weight-loss enzyme. Berries are big-time antioxidants. Melons are chock full of yummy lovely body-nurturing water. I'd go easy on the grapes if they're the seedless green ones. Even though they taste incredible. They're nutritionally inferior to more robust purple grapes. Plus they're stupidly gassy <g>

Old 06-27-2010, 07:12 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times
Berries are thumbs up all the way around! I have been trying to limite the sweeter fruits like bananas, peaches, oranges, rapes, etc. but berries, canteloupe, apples - all good stuff. Grapefruit. Sigh. Hope I can get my reflux back under control because that is good stuff. Now you must double check any medicines you are taking as many interact with grapefruts.

I consume SOY and I am not scared of it. Google the Okinowa and Soy in the same search and make your own conclusions. It may be that highly processed soys should be avoided due to processing techniques but the processing for many soy foods like tofu and tempeh and soy milk are minimal..

Old 06-28-2010, 05:19 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times
Default my eating style ~~

I've never been overweight so I can't imagine the many challenges it causes but my eating lifestyle can be used to lose weight and maintain optimal health.

It is simply to eat anything that nature has created and avoid those so-called food products made by man. Actually it is very easy, effective, healthy.

Of course, if one overeats even natural healthy food, one will gain weight. I have eliminated all dairy and soy products, as well as red meat, processed food, junk food.

So what's left ? Fresh veggies, fresh fruit, fish, small amounts of chicken, whole grain cereal, nuts, beans

Old 06-28-2010, 08:33 PM

345 posts, read 1,641,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I've never been overweight so I can't imagine the many challenges it causes but my eating lifestyle can be used to lose weight and maintain optimal health.

It is simply to eat anything that nature has created and avoid those so-called food products made by man. Actually it is very easy, effective, healthy.

Of course, if one overeats even natural healthy food, one will gain weight. I have eliminated all dairy and soy products, as well as red meat, processed food, junk food.

So what's left ? Fresh veggies, fresh fruit, fish, small amounts of chicken, whole grain cereal, nuts, beans
I think you are on the right track.

The reason it's bad to eat too much fruit is that, much like alcohol, the liver processes fructose and the by product of this is a chemical called aldehyde. Aldehydes are toxins and can build up in the bloodstream and organs and cause many problems. It is believed that Type two diabetes and multiple chemical sensitivities (among many other diseases) are caused by aldehydes that are trapped in fat cells and organs.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:18 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,160 times
I have heard that soy causes cancer too. Whos to say whether that is true or not. It seems like one day something is good for you and the next day its bad for you. I think meat is okay I eat turkey or chicken. Red meat is okay occasionally. I hear almond milk is really good for you and is better than soy. I have taken a nutrition class and fruit is good for you, but some are higher than others in sugar. Here is a glycemic index The Glycemic Index.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness