Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 05:01 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,429 times

Advertisements

Hey Folks - I debated whether to post this in Health & Wellness or here in Unemployment. I figured I would start here since more of us might have experienced this. I am unemployed and my Cobra benefits have run out. Currently, I am uninsured. I am still trying to find an affordable healthcare program in my state. In the meantime, however, I do have 3 prescriptions which are pretty much required for me to have any sort of a normal life.

I was wondering if any of you have been in the same position as me and have tried out the on-line drugstores - particularly Canadian ones. Is it safe to do so, are there any you would recommend? I was looking at one where I was getting GREAT prices (Northdrugstore), but when I went to see if there were any reviews on them, they were being slammed by former customers.

I really don't want to get caught up in any kind of scam. I just want to get my medication at a decent price - which is kind of hard to do so these days. Sigh!

So if anyone on this board has had any experience in this, I would truly appreciate it very much.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 05:11 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
In NJ, all colleges have to offer a student health insurance program. You can sign up for a course at a local community college, then pay into the student insurance (which is only like $200 for the year). My local college offers an insurance which provides full coverage for prescription drugs. The rest of the insurance sucks. Best if you need actual very little medical coverage.

You can sign up for a class that might help you get a job.. who knows. You can even try to go through tuition waiver program if your state offers it.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:49 PM

112 posts, read 330,381 times
Well what kind of medication? I think it will be legit as long as they're non narcotics. Don't you all have plans like MASS-HEALTH like we do here in Massachusetts. If you fall within the income guidelines, you get free care. Or is that because we have had our own reform?

Old 06-27-2010, 05:50 PM

304 posts, read 745,023 times
I used to buy my Rx's online but havent done so in a while, so I am not sure, however a good website that can get you more info (legal and legitimate) is drugbuyers.com. You can find out on there which, if any, legit. pharmacies are accepting prescriptions and have low prices. However are you aware that if you call the individual pharmaceutical companies that make your meds, they all have low cost or free fills or can point you to programs that get you the meds for free if you cannot afford them?? It's true! Give that a try!

Old 06-27-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNicerThanYou View Post
Well what kind of medication? I think it will be legit as long as they're non narcotics. Don't you all have plans like MASS-HEALTH like we do here in Massachusetts. If you fall within the income guidelines, you get free care. Or is that because we have had our own reform?
No, nothing like that here. You guys got that put in by Romney, right? Yes, you were WAY ahead of the rest of the country.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeyourthoughts View Post
I used to buy my Rx's online but havent done so in a while, so I am not sure, however a good website that can get you more info (legal and legitimate) is drugbuyers.com. You can find out on there which, if any, legit. pharmacies are accepting prescriptions and have low prices. However are you aware that if you call the individual pharmaceutical companies that make your meds, they all have low cost or free fills or can point you to programs that get you the meds for free if you cannot afford them?? It's true! Give that a try!
I did look at one of the pharmaceutical companies to see if they would provide the medication - and you are right - they will - but only if you agree to release your medical records to them. I think that is a bit scary. You have no idea what sort of database your records are going into. I am going to look at drugbuyers. Thanks for that tip!

Old 06-27-2010, 06:03 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Check with your dept of health and social services (or whatever they call it in your state) and ask to speak with a case worker. If you have medications which are essential to your health, and you can't afford your medication, there are programs that may be able to help. Most are sponsored by drug companies.

They may not be able to supply your medication, but if you don't ask you won't know.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:04 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNicerThanYou View Post
You're lucky - MA is one of the FEW states that offers anything like that.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:27 PM

87 posts, read 651,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
In NJ, all colleges have to offer a student health insurance program. You can sign up for a course at a local community college, then pay into the student insurance (which is only like $200 for the year). My local college offers an insurance which provides full coverage for prescription drugs. The rest of the insurance sucks. Best if you need actual very little medical coverage.

You can sign up for a class that might help you get a job.. who knows. You can even try to go through tuition waiver program if your state offers it.
I believe the same is true for colleges in CA. Being a student, even at a Community/Junior college will help you get medical and dental insurance, not to mention a host of other "student discounts" when you show your student id card--no matter what or how many classes you're taking, or how old you are.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr View Post
I believe the same is true for colleges in CA. Being a student, even at a Community/Junior college will help you get medical and dental insurance, not to mention a host of other "student discounts" when you show your student id card--no matter what or how many classes you're taking, or how old you are.
The college route was so interesting to me that I actually just did some research on it - and then I was hit in the face with reality: Between job hunting/interviews and the far more serious case of taking my Dad to Chemo treatments each week, I can't commit to a set schedule of showing up for classes on a given day or schedule of M/T/W from 8:30 to 2:00 p.m. Or are you saying just to sign up, get the student card and receive the discounts WITHOUT showing up to class? Just as an FYI, it would appear that my area's CC starts on July 6th (SUMMER II). As a late register, I would not be able to qualify for Financial Aid - but the class I was looking at was totalling about $250 since I am a resident.

No one has used on-line pharmacies, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness