Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 03:45 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,205,685 times

Advertisements

I've been looking for information periodically for the past few months, but pictures don't really help because I have dark skin and the patches that show up on my skin look different. If anyone could help me, I would be very grateful.

It first started a few years ago when itchy, flaky spots appeared on the inside of my elbows. At first, I was sure that it was eczema, but I became unsure after it spread to different areas. The next area was my chest. Much of that area now has a cracked appearance, and, just like the elbows, it gets extremely itchy after I take a shower or when I'm hot. Eventually it showed up on my abdominal sides, my lower back, and the sides of my buttocks. In these areas, the patches are flaky and are easily picked off. These areas get itchy after showers and during hot weather as well.

The only thing I've been able to do about it is apply fragrant-free lotion for dry skin after I take a shower or before I leave out during the hot months. I think that it's a type of eczema, but seeing that different types of skin diseases tend to have the same symptoms, I can't be sure about this. If these symptoms seem familiar to you, feel free to express your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 04:01 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Could be a heat rash. I had it a lot last summer. I used some witch hazel lotion on the affected areas and it hasn't come back. It unclogged the pores.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:06 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
It's a skin condition that can only be managed not healed completely.

Eczema - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eczema - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatments of Eczema

Old 07-05-2010, 04:14 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
I've heard that Preparation-H can effectively reduce the size of these eczema patches and reduce the itching. Funny, I know, but the person I know swears it works better than hydrocortizon creams.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:18 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Made for the South View Post
I've been looking for information periodically for the past few months, but pictures don't really help because I have dark skin and the patches that show up on my skin look different. If anyone could help me, I would be very grateful.

It first started a few years ago when itchy, flaky spots appeared on the inside of my elbows. At first, I was sure that it was eczema, but I became unsure after it spread to different areas. The next area was my chest. Much of that area now has a cracked appearance, and, just like the elbows, it gets extremely itchy after I take a shower or when I'm hot. Eventually it showed up on my abdominal sides, my lower back, and the sides of my buttocks. In these areas, the patches are flaky and are easily picked off. These areas get itchy after showers and during hot weather as well.

The only thing I've been able to do about it is apply fragrant-free lotion for dry skin after I take a shower or before I leave out during the hot months. I think that it's a type of eczema, but seeing that different types of skin diseases tend to have the same symptoms, I can't be sure about this. If these symptoms seem familiar to you, feel free to express your thoughts.

It sounds like what I have on my hands and knees/feet. It sounds like it could be psoriasis. Go to a dermatologist. You will need a prescription.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:30 PM

345 posts, read 1,641,372 times
It's definitely eczema. It is an allergic reaction. If you take Vit E, Vit A and Zinc every day it will go away. In the meantime try to figure out what you are exposing yourself to since it started. It could be a new pet, a new place or most likely a food allergy. Contrary to popular belief it is rarely caused by a topical allergen exposure.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:48 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,798,510 times
Having had eczema myself, with a husband and two kids who suffered with it also, I can tell you what the dermatologist said. Apply over the counter cortisone cream to afflicted areas, once or twice daily after washing.
if it's eczema, the cortisone ointment will start to clear it up in a few days.
if it doesn't work, see a doctor to find out what it is.
Many things can cause these outbreaks. Heat can be one, usually though, it's an allergic reaction. It can be a food, or your soap, laundry detergent, etc. My daughter would break out horribly on her face when she played in autumn leaves or ate a certain brand of peanut butter. Lately, for me, it's been shampoo with sulfates in it. I hate the non sulfate shampoos, so I wash my face with regular soap and rinse well before I get out of the shower. Body washes also have sulfates, but the skin on my face is more sensitive, so that's the only place I get any reaction.
Eczemas can be tricky. My youngest and I both suffered from atopic dermatitis for a while. It's triggered by an allergic reaction, in my case poison ivy. The dermatologist wound up giving me cortisone shots and prescription cortisone pills till it cleared up.
As I said, try something like Cortaid for a week or so, and if it doesn't seem to be getting any better, check with a doctor.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:00 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
I have no idea if what you have is eczema, but I have had it more than once and mine just gets better with prescription ointments.

Regardless, go to a doctor and make sure a professional can tell you what it is.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:05 PM

345 posts, read 1,641,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
It's a skin condition that can only be managed not healed completely.
Incorrect !

Old 07-05-2010, 07:19 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino127 View Post
Incorrect !
Don't just slide in here to holler "incorrect". Pony up some data to support you claim!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness