U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:07 AM

9,414 posts, read 14,839,525 times

Advertisements

Exactly one week ago, I started feeling weak in my legs. Its hard to explain, except that I feel my legs won't carry me.

It started last Wednesday, I stumbled 4x while running errands, so Thurs I saw a podiatrist because I thought some shoe inserts might help stabilize my gait. I almost couldn't make it into the office, I froze when I saw the large, highly polished marble floor (why do they do that in a doctor's office), and couldn't walk across the floor. An office gal helped me, then I was ok. the doc said it was my shoes, and prescribed some orthotics.

Upon leaving the office, I lost my balance, almost fell except for the quick action of two other people in the waiting room who grabbed me. I was terrified. They took me back, checked my BP, sugar, I appeared ok, then, two of the nurses drove me home. One drove me in my car, the other followed. How nice---also, how rare, in this day and age of lawsuits, they took such a potential risk.

I had a hard time walking around the house Friday and could hardly make it through the store. Sat I was stumbling so bad my dh took me to the ER, we feared a stroke. Well, they ruled out a stroke, but did nothing (except, of course, run up a hugh bill, I should send it to Obama!) I've been off and on with episodes of weakness, and slight dizziness.

I saw my internal medicine doc yesterday, although I told them I had been seen in the ER, and had a cat scan and blood work, they didn't get the results. He took more blood work (which he probably won't look at) then ordered an MRI, which will take a week to schedule. Meanwhile I can barely get around.

I can't get from the house to the car. I feel my legs won't carry me. I'm terridied of a fall. I tried to go to the grocery store tonight, freaked and couldn't go inside.

I can't figure out what it is. It just started all of a sudden, last Wed. I have two possible theories:

!. Last Monday we had new carpet installed. Possibly a reaction to the fumes?

2. Last Sat the cat bit me, they gave me a tetanus shot. I've read tetanus shots are related to guillame Barre, which starts with weakness in the legs, sometimes is self-limiting, sometimes progresses.

All I know is I'm practically an invalid, can't get around the house for fear of falling. All I can do is wait to get the MRI and hope someone with half a brain reads it. I'm almost afraid to mention my theories, for fear the docs will not want to get involved in a potential lawsuit, especially against the powerful drug companies.

What on earth could cause such sudden onset of muscle weakness? Could it be MS? I'm terrified, especially that I'm alone, dh lives in another city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 04:47 AM

3,432 posts, read 3,224,204 times
I don`t want to guess what you may have because I don`t want to cause you anymore worry. I highly doubt its the carpet. There is a very very slight possibility it is a reaction to the tetanus shot. The first thing I thought was what you thought, that it could be MS. Has your Dr. sent you to a neurologist

Old 07-07-2010, 04:51 AM

31,483 posts, read 12,622,289 times
I would have thought they would check for MS immediately. Good luck Marylee!!

Old 07-07-2010, 06:31 AM

6,152 posts, read 10,329,235 times
Have you had any back trouble in the past? Sometimes a pinched nerve can cause weakness without pain.

Also, symptoms such as these can trigger anxiety which magnifies them a great deal.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:21 PM

955 posts, read 3,243,359 times
Potasium levels may be off or maybe MS as well but who knows... I hope it is just something simple that goes away... Good luck! Keep us posted

Old 07-07-2010, 01:33 PM

450 posts, read 4,175,145 times
My first thought would be the tetanus shot. Did you get the tetanus shot before the onset of the muscle weakness? Did you tell your Dr. about the tetanus shot? When was your last tetanus shot prior to this one? Vaccines do have side effects, unfortunately--do a google search of these. If you got the tetanus shot before the onset of the muscle weakness, don't you think it's a tad coincidental that you'd get this severe, sudden onset muscle weakness right afterwards, not having any symptoms prior? I thought with MS the symptoms are gradual, and also affect the eyes.

My bet would be the tetanus shot. I hope you get answers soon.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:50 PM

1,034 posts, read 3,702,774 times
I'd be very interested to see the results of an MRI of your brain. I've read that brain tumors in certain locations can cause leg weakness (among other symptoms). I have also heard MS can produce similar symptoms. MS can also be diagnosed through an MRI (many MS sufferers actually have brain lesions).

I'm not trying to scare you. I've actually had a small brain tumor and it was removed surgically and all was well. They even have options today for doing non-invasive brain surgery that is not only fascinating, but also has a very high success rate.

I have a friend with MS who lives a very normal life and works as an RN. She is on a cocktail of medications that keep her going, but she loves life and lives it to the fullest.

Your physicians should also be checking you for vitamin/mineral deficiencies.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:47 PM

The ER referred me to a neurologist, the earliest he can see me is Sept 16!

Meanwhile, my primary care physician ordered an MRI, but we now must wait insurance verification, possibly can get in Friday. WTF am I supposed to do in the meantime? I can't walk around the house, can't grocery shop, everyone's acting like this is some routine exam instead of an emergency.

If symptoms continue, I will do the only thing I know works---call 911, get taken to the hospital, then insist they do something besides make useless referrals.

BTW, I have RA (rheumatoid arthritis) which is an autoimmune diesease, MS is also an autoimmune disease, there is cause for concern.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Have you had any back trouble in the past? Sometimes a pinched nerve can cause weakness without pain.

Also, symptoms such as these can trigger anxiety which magnifies them a great deal.

Yes, I've had back surgery and a fusion 2 years ago, then fell and injured my lower tailbone last March, had a sacroplasty, which worked out fine. I have rheumatoid arthritis, which has affected my spine a great deal, but I don't understand the sudden onset of symptoms, I was fine until about a week ago, now I can't even get from my driveway to my car. I'm ok for about 5-6 steps, then I experience a feeling of weakness, anxiety, vertigo, I actually fell at the doctor's office last Thursday, if it weren't for the quick actions of two people in the waiting room I would have hit the floor.

I'm terrified to walk if not near something I can grab onto, I tried to grocery shop last night and couldn't make it, even holding onto the basket I felt I was going to fall, I gave up and came home.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:05 PM

19,564 posts, read 52,972,911 times
Use one of the electric handicap carts at the stores, they all have them. I drive right out next to my car and leave it there, the lot boys drive them back just as they bring back the shopping baskets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness