U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 07:57 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,265,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
Things are usually different at "urgent care" centers. Shorter wait, and smaller bill, for the most part. These clinics can typically handle some rather serious injuries, such as broken bones and other minor trauma. I would strongly recommend you use of of these clinics for something that is not potentially life-threatening. Granted, all the urgent care centers may be closed if you have an accident at 3am, though some are always open, especially in larger cities.
Several years ago, I cut my finger with a knife...I couldn't get it to stop bleeding. Called my family doctor and no one was available to see me in a timely fashion. They advised me to go a local Urgent Care Center, as it would be less expensive than going to the ER.

I followed their advice and had a very good experience. The Urgent Care Center was affiliated with a nearby hospital (our county's trauma center), and I received excellent care. They stitched me up, then saw me a week or so later to remove the stitches. The only difference from other medical facilities was that they didn't deal with insurance companies...I paid the bill, then submitted it to my insurance company for reimbursement. As this occurred years ago, their policies may have changed.

If a situation like this occurred again, I would not hesitate to use their services. However, I'm not sure I would have known to use this facility had it not been for the recommendation of my family doctor.

ETA: Just checked their website...they started accepting insurance in 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 09:09 AM

7,119 posts, read 13,647,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex75 View Post
Emergency room visit / Cost of medical care / New Jersey

Hello everyone.

A few weeks ago I was washing dishes, one of the tall glasses broke and cut little finger on my right hand.
It was bleeding plus the cut didn't look good, so I decided to go to a local hospital instead of taking care of it on my own.
It took about 10 minutes to get dressed and drive to Morristown Memorial Hospital in Morristown, NJ.
Explained in ER that I got cut and need a few stitches.
Wait about 15 min.
Some people took my blood pressure and temperature and directed me to another department.
Wait about 40 min.
Someone admitted me, pointed to an exam (or whatever) room.
Wait about 30 min.
Doctor came, examined my finger and promised to fix it.
Wait about 5 min.
A girl stopped by and gave me a Tenanus (?) shot.
Doctor came back and stitched up my finger.
Wait about 20 min for someone to stop by and say “you can go now”.

Than I've got a bill from hospital
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/2...taledited1.jpg
Total $970 minus self pay discount = $582.00

Not cheap, have no insurance, but it's not like I can do something about it.
Came to hospital and paid the bill.

Next day (yesterday) received ANOTHER bill from Emergency Medical Associates for $494.00 for Emergency Physician's services...
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9...emaedited1.jpg

Isn't it wrong?
If doctor charges me for his work $494 than what for hospital charged me $582?

Just doesn't add up in my head.
Total I have to pay is about 11 hundred bucks = about two weeks of my work to bring home this kind of money after taxes.

I understand that medical care is not cheap, but if 20 minutes of stitching up my finger = to about 2 weeks of my work, than there something has to be wrong.
No x-rays or other sophisticated machines were used. In fact, most sophisticated device was a surgical needle...

Is it NORMAL?
Is it because it's New Jersey?
Don't be surprised if you get another bill or 2.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:16 AM

8 posts, read 25,445 times
Thanks everyone for your opinions.

NOW I know better not to go to ER, but before that visit I had no clue.
I'm 35 years old and about 10 years in USA, zero (fortunately) experience with hospitals and only one visit to dermatologist when I got some redness on my hand plus few visits to a dentist.
It would never cross my mind to start checking prices in case of emergency – just didn't know about difference between hospitals, ERs and clinics... Really.
If I would have idea about prices for ER visit, I would try to check other options.

Why I don't have insurance?
I'm self employed, so there is no employer to cover big part of bill and I can't afford it of my own – I would have to stop paying rent or child support. ((

Why I actually went to the ER instead of taking care of wound on my own?
Well, that's what I had to do (and knew it, probably, since I was 7 years old): if there is en emergency – people go to a hospital...

Why I took it as an emergency?
It was a “V” cut, piece of skin with flash was hanging on the side and awful amount of blood. I couldn't stop bleeding and hand (right) was shaking. When I examined wound, I decided to get professional help. Main concern was about nerve and blood vessel.
After about 40 minutes of waiting in ER and bunch of paper towels, bleeding stopped and I had second thought about coming to hospital – it didn't look as bad as I thought, but, since I was there, I just waited.

Why I was so surprised about the bills?
1. It would never cross my mind, medical care can cost THAT much (expected about $300-$400).
2. It would never cross my mind to expect bill other, than from hospital (that's why I was stupid enough to go ahead and pay the hospital bill when I received it)

I will definitely come back to hospital and double check the bills.

Another question.
On the doctors bill, there are two names, one with MD and one with PA.
Person, who stitched my up was the PA, I remember his name. I wonder who is that MD and why he is on my bill?..
Is THAT normal?

Old 07-12-2010, 12:58 AM

3,082 posts, read 6,580,083 times
Wow, topics like this make me scared to come back to the USA. Right now, if I get a cut, fever, or anything that is even questionable my friends/family/strangers will dial 119 or bundle me into a cab (if I'm still standing) and shout "hospital" no questions asked.

Assuming it's something simple (like a deep cut, bad virus/bacteria, food poisoning, broken bone) If I'm there in recovery for 8+ days, my bill--as an uninsured foreigner--might top 1000 USD.

It's scary to realize that when I come back, I'll need to stop and think "hm, emergency room, or should I just try to staple it back into place myself?" When I've got a finger hanging by a thread or a bone poking out of my arm.

Well, that or face insta-bankruptcy. Yikes!

Old 07-13-2010, 11:11 AM

8 posts, read 25,445 times
If someone needs to check medical code, go to American Medical Association website: https://catalog.ama-assn.org/Catalog...checkXwho=done

In my case it was:
----------------------------------
The figures presented below are based on 2010 CPT codes and Medicare payment information.

Medicare Payment

Code: 12002
Description: Simple repair of superficial wounds of scalp, neck, axillae, external genitalia, trunk and/or extremities (including hands and feet); 2.6 cm to 7.5 cm
Non Facility: $172.20
Facility: $125.56

Facility: Includes hospitals (inpatient, outpatient, and emergency department), ambulatory surgical centers (ASCs), and skilled nursing facilities (SNFs).
Non Facility: Includes all other settings.

Kind of funny. My price should be the Facility price: $125.56.
Well, Medicare must have big discount.
OK, double this price and charge me $250

But how come my total from doctor is $494?
Any Ideas?

Old 07-13-2010, 12:04 PM

10,312 posts, read 9,838,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex75 View Post
If someone needs to check medical code, go to American Medical Association website: https://catalog.ama-assn.org/Catalog...checkXwho=done

In my case it was:
The figures presented below are based on 2010 CPT codes and Medicare payment information.

Medicare Payment

Code: 12002
Description: Simple repair of superficial wounds of scalp, neck, axillae, external genitalia, trunk and/or extremities (including hands and feet); 2.6 cm to 7.5 cm
Non Facility: $172.20
Facility: $125.56

Facility: Includes hospitals (inpatient, outpatient, and emergency department), ambulatory surgical centers (ASCs), and skilled nursing facilities (SNFs).
Non Facility: Includes all other settings.

Kind of funny. My price should be the Facility price: $125.56.
Well, Medicare must have big discount.
OK, double this price and charge me $250

But how come my total from doctor is $494?
Any Ideas?
Medicare gets a whopping discount, and patients who pay the full charge subsidize Medicare and Medicaid and those with insurance and those who do not pay.

The doctor is not a hospital employee, so you get a separate bill from the physician..

Old 07-16-2010, 07:55 PM

860 posts, read 846,564 times
Next time buy dermabond at your local pharmacy or something similiar to it. It's the same stuff surgeons use to seal up cuts and surgical incisions. Just squeeze the cut together and apply the glue over it. It'll stay closed after that.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:44 PM

509 posts, read 589,455 times
I worked in a rural hospital for 25 years. First of all, nurses can not expect people to give a level of severity to their own injury. What is not emergency to you just might be an emergency to them.

Many doctors are employees of management companies and not affiliated with the hospital except in the ER. A PA has to be under the authorship of a medical doctor or doctor of osteopathy (which is usually just by a signature)and bills are sent by the doctor, but I have never heard of them billing for supplies, they didn't buy them.

Rural ER's are used for everything after hours that is just a rural plight.
However, you must get a copy of the ER record and make sure everything that that was done is documented and nothing extra because many times the one who bills for the hospital does not know and makes guesses. Sometimes sloppy ER staff do not document treatments, if they don't document treatment on the record - do not pay for it. If it is not documented, it is not done. Check your record against the bill.

One reason rural ER's are so expensive is because the hospital must pay the management company a humongous amount so they will provide the ER physicians.

I have witnessed nurses walk right out the back door with a code going on and never look twice. They are off the clock. If you have quality staff, they won't do that. But it goes both ways-good or bad patients and good or bad staff. Don't be intimated by the staff, they are not paying your bill.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:55 PM

38,753 posts, read 38,334,632 times
You're lucky you didn't call 911. They would have sent EMTs, who would have charged you another $1,000 to drive you to the hospital.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:12 AM

7,119 posts, read 13,647,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You're lucky you didn't call 911. They would have sent EMTs, who would have charged you another $1,000 to drive you to the hospital.
In my town it is $600. I used the ambulance once.
Never again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness