U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-07-2010, 10:40 PM
LML LML started this thread

7,089 posts, read 5,254,689 times
Default Cataract Surgery

I have recently learned that I have cataracts and will be needing surgery to remove the cataracts. I would be interested in hearing the experiences of those who have had this surgery. I also would like to hear about what type of corrective lenses you had inserted and how they are working out. Please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 08:36 AM

38,744 posts, read 37,239,681 times
It's a very simple procedure and not at all uncomfortable. Most doctors implant distance lenses, so glasses should be required only for reading. However, if you have astigmatism, you will still need corrective lenses for all distances. You might also need a second pair of glasses for TV or computer distance, since your new lens will not be able to make any adjustment at all for distance, like your old one did.

As for what to expect on the surgery day. All the patients will be assembled in a waiting room and given a series of eye-drops at intervals. Then the actual procedure takes place while you are awake, maybe about 10-15 minutes on the operating table, listening to the surgeon's favorite music. You will feel nothing in your eye, so don't worry about an urge to blink or anything. There is no pain when it wears off. You will be given two kinds of drops to self administer over the next few days. You'll wear an eyepatch for a day or two. They usually do only one eye at a time, so you will continue to have useful vision, immediately after the surgery. You won't really see the beneficial effect of the surgery for a couple of days, though, because it will take that long for your dilation to go down to where you'll have normal vision. They suggest that you wait about 6 weeks before getting your new eyeglasses.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:55 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,346,396 times
I had both of mine removed last year in April and it was really no big deal. The day after my first surgery I had to go for the day after eye check and I was AMAZED at how well I could see out of that eye. The patches are now only worn at night. I have the AcrySof implants made by Alcon laboratories. Day 1 after surgery in my right eye I had 20/20 far away vision, day 1 after the left one that eye was a lot better than before but not as good as my right one. (I think they just got a pair of the same numbered lenses because my left eye always needed more correction than my right.)

The biggest selling point they kept using was I would never have to wear glasses again and wouldn't that be a exciting change.. WRONG! I had to go get reading glasses (OTC) for reading and a different strength for the computer and sunglasses for outside (things are SO much brighter with those things removed that you will need sunglasses) so I felt like I traded 1 pair of glasses for 3 and I got so tired of having to carry all those around and constantly change glasses.. Now, the eye doctor that removed them would immediately give me a new eye exam and new glasses but my regular doctor made me wait 3 months.. I was so outdone that she made me wait but I am glad now she did because I could see they were changing.

Driving was so much better without glasses but night time driving was horrible, the glare was almost blinding with these implants so see if you can get some implants that will take care of that, even if you have to pay out of pocket for it, I think it would be worth it. I now have anti glare stuff on my glasses and it makes life so much easier driving at night.

As far as having it done... you will not regret doing it..The procedure is nothing, NO pain during or after wards. The drops are a pain but you have to do that so stick with it. Most all the restrictions they use to have are not there anymore after wards. The patch only at night, you can bend over, pick up stuff and even return to work the next day they told me.

I am still upset that they made me wait as long as they did. I do a lot of driving for my job and I could not see to drive hardly. I had kept telling my doctor I couldn't see to drive and she kept ignoring that.. Finally I made an appointment and when I went in, and they asked why I was there so soon after my last visit, I told them "something is terribly wrong, this is going to cost me my job or my LIFE and I am not leaving here until we figure out what it is and how to FIX IT!".. That is what it took and I question WHY it has to get that bad before they will do that surgery..

Old 07-08-2010, 07:19 PM
LML LML started this thread

7,089 posts, read 5,254,689 times
Thank you so much for sharing. You have given me information that I didn't have before and it is much appreciated. It will be so good to see clearly again. I am kind of bummed though to learn that I will not only still need glasses but need 2 or 3 different pairs. Ahh well. I thought it was too good to be true. Thanks again.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:28 PM

6,960 posts, read 16,152,459 times
Nope, you may not need more than one pair of glasses. I have a focus problem. I still need glasses for reading, etc. I use trifocals.

I think the most wonderful result of my cataract surgery was the clarity of colors. It happened so slowly that I did not notice how muddy everything had become. My husband just recently had both his eyes done. He is dumbfounded over the difference. And I say, "Didn't I tell you that you would see much better!!!"

Old 09-26-2012, 04:51 PM

5,255 posts, read 3,638,794 times
Been 5 weeks since mine, one eye and it is indeed amazing.
It was 20/20 the next day, has regressed a tad, so I do have a new prescription, have not got it yet as I have been seeing better without the glasses than I have in years. /My other eye will always have issues it has since I was a kid, but now my good eye is back to being my good eye again.

I have a long list of surgeries in my life and *finally one that was what all had said, quick simple and worth it. Wish I had not waited so long...well had to have a different surgery last Summer sigh... so really did not want jump back in line for another lol.
Anyways so glad it is done...except for all the dirt I can see now lol.....I** thought I was doing a good job and boy am I fussy

Old 09-28-2012, 04:45 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,018,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Nope, you may not need more than one pair of glasses. I have a focus problem. I still need glasses for reading, etc. I use trifocals.

I think the most wonderful result of my cataract surgery was the clarity of colors. It happened so slowly that I did not notice how muddy everything had become. My husband just recently had both his eyes done. He is dumbfounded over the difference. And I say, "Didn't I tell you that you would see much better!!!"
This is exactly how I felt after having both of my cataracts removed in May of this year! I remember driving/riding back into the big city and commenting on the towers on top of the mountains (that I have never seen before) and then commenting on how I could see individual trees on the top of the surrounding mountains.
What a thrill it is to be seeing the world in brilliant colors again. (I have to agree with the poster who said that some things are now too bright. However, I can look at bright lights without pains shooting through my eyes anymore, and that is a major plus!)

Old 09-28-2012, 04:48 PM

20,293 posts, read 15,482,258 times
My dad got his surgery last year. He does not need glasses. However, he cannot go to the beach without wearing sunglasses. Even bright sun the day after it snowed is a bit much. The sun reflecting off the white surfaces is bright.

I remember when my grandmother had gotten it, she needed to wear reading glasses after. But nowadays they have lenses that your eyes can focus for near and far. Really amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness