Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:03 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,648 times

Advertisements

I have had 3 c-sections and my stomach is in bad shape. I would really love to get a tummy tuck when I can afford one. I'm terrified of going under general anesthesia. I have never been put under. I am afraid that I won't wake up. I'm also scared of that tube they put down your throat. If I could have one done while awake with local anethesia I would. Are my fears justified?

Last edited by KylieEve; 07-11-2010 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 10:43 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
No. You will be out before you get intubated. I've had more than 10 general anesthesias in my life and I'm still here.

That said, I would investigate your surgeon very carefully. Many are getting into plastic surgery b/c it is so lucrative. Make sure they are board-certified in plastics, check out the rep of the place it will be done, etc.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:51 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,013,387 times
depending on what type of tummy tuck you need and how bad your stomach is, they can do an epidural. but thats only if you dont need much done

Old 07-11-2010, 12:06 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,369 times
I don't know if I have any solutions, but I feel the same way!

I had 7 babies in 11 years and I could definitely use some tummy tuck magic. But I am terrified of going under as well. I would also feel much more comfortable with the epidural instead, but not being able to move would probably freak me out too.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:23 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I have had 3 c-sections and my stomach is in bad shape. I would really love to get a tummy tuck when I can afford one. I'm terrified of going under general anesthesia. I have never been put under. I am afraid that I won't wake up. I'm also scared of that tube they put down your throat. If I could have one done while awake with local anethesia I would. Are my fears justified?
Don't worry about it. I've had eight eye surgeries, all but two under general anesthesia, over the last 40 or so years. And one tonsillectomy and a carpal tunnel repair, both under general anesthesia. I'm perfectly fine. You're intubated after you are asleep, and that is a safety measure for you. If you should need assistance breathing for any reason, the tube is already there; they can give you more oxygen if necessary, or whatever. It can leave your throat a little sore/scratchy after, but that only lasts for about a day, and will be easily managed with the pain meds for the incision(s).

I consider surgery while awake to be much worse, honestly, even though I felt no pain.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:50 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
I would love a breast reduction but have similar fears. There are so many weird things that can happen like the fire thing
Surgery Fire Malpractice Lawyers - Operating Room Fire Lawsuits | Legal News & Updates Blog - Saiontz & Kirk
small chance I know but that doesnt make you feel better if your one of the few!
Then the real worrier is the increase in problems with post surgical infection, MRSA
Then of course there's the specific procedure itself, are you happy with the results?

all sort of scary

Old 07-11-2010, 04:37 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,013,387 times
exactly, the real worry is post surgery. many people don't think about that.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:01 AM

450 posts, read 5,022,039 times
I too share your fears. I am also terrified of general anesthesia. I have had two surgeries in the past year, but both were IV sedation. I was terrified for the first surgery, since it was my very first surgery. Between the time I learned I had to have the surgery to the date of the surgery I was just terrified all the time, couldn't eat or sleep for those two weeks. Even though it wasn't general anesthesia I was very scared about it. Turns out the IV sedation experience I had was okay, but I did not like the amnesia aspect between the time they injected the versed into my IV and the time I woke up in recovery, and felt very emotional about that for many months afterwards.

You will get versed before they give you the general anesthesia so you won't remember the feeling of "going under" or remember the placement of the breathing tube. I worried a lot about whether I would "feel" the experience of "going under," the sedation, even though I did not have general anesthesia. Turns out that the versed erases your memory of whatever you are experiencing, so you won't remember anything.

Do some google research and find out if you can have a tummy tuck with just IV sedation or an epidural--might be possible.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:16 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
I had some similar fear until recently I had colonoscopy and endoscopy. I was put under light anesthesia for both and that kind of cured my fear of "going under." I know there is always a small risk of something going wrong and that's real, but the experience was just very, very easy. I don't have a fear of it anymore.

Last edited by kaykay; 07-12-2010 at 09:01 AM..

Old 07-12-2010, 08:39 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Being put out does not bother me; nor does the tube; it's knowing what they do to your stomach; then imagining the pain you'll be in that stops me from doing it.

I had 2 kids; with my 1st, I gained about 80 pounds. I never really got rid of the belly.
What stinks is having a hub who's stomach is flatter then mine. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness