Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 07:55 PM

264 posts, read 493,263 times

Advertisements

Over many years I have found myself getting more lactose intolerant, has anyone found a simple way to help with still sometimes consuming dairy anyway.

Not consuming dairy products at all as an answer is not what I'm looking for.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 08:24 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,226,282 times
See LACTAID® Brand - Health Living with Lactose Intolerance (http://www.lactaid.com/page2.jhtml?id=/lactaid/health/health.inc - broken link)

If you are lactose intolerant, you do not produce enough lactase, the enzyme which breaks down the lactose. Replace the enzyme, and you should be able to enjoy dairy products again.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 07-05-2010 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: to correct typo.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:06 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Yes, I agree with using Lactaid as indicated above. When I was in thirties, I had severe lactose intolerance and even Lactaid did not help sufficiently. For whatever reason, my lactose intolerance has actually improved over the years. I can now eat/drink dairy products again and unless I just go "crazy" and seriously overdo it, I can eat dairy products pretty much without incident. I don't know any other suggestions for it except just to not overdo it when eating dairy. If you eat some one day, it might be prudent to back off the next, for example.

(I just noticed that the OP is "not a member" now, but I'm going to leave the reply in case anyone else is dealing with the issue.)

Old 07-07-2010, 10:30 AM

149 posts, read 762,103 times
Yes you need to have the enzyme lactase to be able to digest the milk sugar lactose. Most people either take lactaid tablets or drink lactaid milk products which have the enzyme added to it. They are expensive if you consume a lot of dairy though.

The other option is to try raw milk, many people don't have a problem digesting it because it naturally contains the enzymes that get destroyed during pasteurization. Also goat milk is supposed to be easier to digest than cow's milk. Hard aged cheeses and butter should be easiest for you because they contain little lactose, maybe start with just that. Cottage cheese and soft cheeses have a little more but are still low. Yogurt, cream, and sour cream have half the lactose of milk.

Stay away from anything with evaporated milk and (especially) non-fat dry milk powder which has concentrated lactose in high amounts. (Many baked goods use these ingredients, like pumpkin pie.)

Old 07-07-2010, 12:09 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,226,282 times
[quote=jasape;14933949]Yes you need to have the enzyme lactase to be able to digest the milk sugar lactose. Most people either take lactaid tablets or drink lactaid milk products which have the enzyme added to it. They are expensive if you consume a lot of dairy though.

The other option is to try raw milk, many people don't have a problem digesting it because it naturally contains the enzymes that get destroyed during pasteurization. Also goat milk is supposed to be easier to digest than cow's milk. Hard aged cheeses and butter should be easiest for you because they contain little lactose, maybe start with just that. Cottage cheese and soft cheeses have a little more but are still low. Yogurt, cream, and sour cream have half the lactose of milk.

Stay away from anything with evaporated milk and (especially) non-fat dry milk powder which has concentrated lactose in high amounts. (Many baked goods use these ingredients, like pumpkin pie.)[/QUOTE

I would be very careful about consuming raw milk. There are dairies that can produce milk that would be safe, but they would have to be very meticulous in their hygiene practices. Raw milk does not contain lactase. Lactase is made by the cells that line the intestine. Pasteurization was developed because raw milk was making people sick.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:07 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
I would try- with several days in between- cheese (hard, soft, goat, cow), milk (fat free, 2%, lactose free), ice cream, yogurt (fat free, greek) and see. I can't drink milk or eat ice cream, but I'm fine with yogurt and cheese.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:05 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
I use enzyme pills 30 minutes before eating dairy. It contains various proteases, as well as lactase. There are several different brands, and I got it at Whole Foods. I've also switched to Rice Dream as a milk substitute.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:46 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
I've read that yogurt, plain, without sugar, can help out lactose intolerance.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:36 AM

1 posts, read 6,259 times
sub-blue: I am also lactose intolerant, however I recenty found this wonderful new product from Valio called Real Goodness.

It has enabled me to enjoy drinking milk again. Try it and I think you will like it. It tastes just like real milk, not sweet like other lactose free milk. From their website they say they use ultrafiltration.

I stopped drinking milk for a long time because I don't like the taste of lactose free milk, but this new milk tastes so creamy and delicious just like real milk! Also they seem to have a longer expiration date than regular milk which is an added plus. There's no tablet to take, no taste difference so this is just the perfect solution for those whose are lactose intolerant like me.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy milk again!

Old 07-12-2010, 12:25 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
I'm lactose intolerant only when it comes to milk so I now drink fat free LACTAID which is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness