U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,896 times

Advertisements

Hiya

I am new here, but I think it is the right way to look for the solution of my problem.

I have been snoring for ages, but never really paid any special attention to it. Recently I have read some articles about snoring telling that if snoring is caused by obstructive sleep apnea it can be threatening my very life. When I was surfing the net for possible solutions I found this resource --- [Moderator cut: too hnew to post links, see TOS --- which offers a questionnaire promising to determine what are the reasons of my snoring, but I do not know whether to trust this resource or not.

How do you think ? Any advises appreciated

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-13-2010 at 08:13 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 02:18 PM

28,159 posts, read 31,590,127 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote, part
Yes, snoring can be a symptom of obstructive sleep apnea, OSA, which can be very dangerous. Talk to your family doctor about it, and if you are overweight, start losing weight as soon as possible. A "sleep study'" can diagnose OSA objectively and there are treatments available, but weight loss is the very first thing that you should do.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-13-2010 at 08:14 PM..

Old 07-13-2010, 08:17 PM

19,867 posts, read 59,169,758 times
That web iste is selling their product. I would not trust them. I worked with sleep doctors a few years ago and they did not recognize all those types of snoring.

All snoring is abnormal except for when you have a cold/stuffed up nose. If it persuists after the cold goes away, you have a sleep disorder.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:22 AM

42,661 posts, read 77,707,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post

All snoring is abnormal except for when you have a cold/stuffed up nose. If it persuists after the cold goes away, you have a sleep disorder.
What, then, would account for the fact that so many men and so few women snore? What is the number of annual deaths attributable to sleep apnea or any other sleep disorder for which snoring is symptomatic? Is there any evidence that people who snore have a shorter life expectancy than people who do not?

Old 07-14-2010, 12:36 AM

19,867 posts, read 59,169,758 times
I am not a medical doctor nor do I have access to the answers you requested. OSA is a risk factor for heart attacks and strokes but again, I don't have the citation.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:17 AM

28,159 posts, read 31,590,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What, then, would account for the fact that so many men and so few women snore? What is the number of annual deaths attributable to sleep apnea or any other sleep disorder for which snoring is symptomatic? Is there any evidence that people who snore have a shorter life expectancy than people who do not?

See Sleep Apnea, What Is
Sleep Apnea Basics
Deaths from Sleep apnea - WrongDiagnosis.com
PLoS Medicine: Sleep-Disordered Breathing and Mortality: A Prospective Cohort Study

1400 deaths per year in the USA. Probably that is an underestimate. It may not have been diagnosed in someone who falls asleep whike driving and has a fatal accident.Men aged 40 to 60 with severe sleep apnea have twice the risk of dying as those who do not have it.

Here for men vs women:
Why Do Men Snore More Than Women? | Doctor Steven Y. Park, MD | New York, NY | Integrative Solutions for Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome, and Snoring

Everyone snores a little now and then; if you sound like a chorus of chainsaws, get it checked out.

My hubby snored so loud the mattress vibrated. He lost weight, and the snoring is much improved.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:04 AM

42,661 posts, read 77,707,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

1400 deaths per year in the USA. .
That does not exactly put it on the list of risk factors that I'm going to lose any sleep over (no pun intended). That is probably lower than the number of people who fall out of trees. When you consider that there are tens of millions of men and quite a few women who snore. Let's say 28,000,000 men who snore, with one chance in 20,000 of dying from the associated condition. That does not inspire me to rush to my doctor and undergo a battery of tests and a series of highly speculative treatments and invasive lifestyle adjustments.

One in 20,000 is about the same likelihood as a snorer dying in a plane crash, and about half the chance of a snorer drowning.

Now I'm going to go over to the Food and Drink Forum, where people will warn me to throw away a box of salt on the Best By date. Come on, people, get a life. I'm OK on my salt, by the way. It is billions of years old, and doesn't expire until August 2011.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-14-2010 at 10:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness