Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 09:14 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times

Advertisements

My husband's aunt fell, broke her hip - other than that, in good health - a sweetheart - anyway, the doctor suggested a device called the intertan - anyone know about this?

Claims she will be and up walking in 3 days???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 03:55 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
I don't know about intertan, but at 89, her rehab may not be in just 3 days!! I'd ask a lot of questions and get a second opinion. Ask about post-op complications, too.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:38 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile Update

This lady is amazing, a vegan for 35 years! 89 years old - surgery was today - they had her up standing tonight. We'll see.....cross fingers.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:36 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
My husband's aunt fell, broke her hip - other than that, in good health - a sweetheart - anyway, the doctor suggested a device called the intertan - anyone know about this?

Claims she will be and up walking in 3 days???
I'm doing a Google search & what I'm coming up with is InterTAN intermedullary nail

From reading, it seems it's not a hip replacement but a repair device.

If I was her, I would get about 3 opinions.
What exactly did she break?
Does she need her hip replaced?

A neighbor had her hip replaced last year at 81. She was in the hospital about 3 days, then she went to rehab for a month

If she needs a hip, you will need to research the product being used. This is one that's been recalled -

Concerns Over ‘Metal on Metal’ Hip Implants - Some of the nation’s leading orthopedic surgeons have reduced or stopped use of a popular category of artificial hips amid concerns that the devices are causing severe tissue and bone damage in some patients, often requiring replacement surgery within a year or two...

In recent years, such devices, known as “metal on metal” implants, have been used in about one-third of the approximately 250,000 hip replacements performed annually in this country. They are used in conventional hip replacements and in a popular alternative procedure known as resurfacing.

The devices, whose ball-and-socket joints are made from metals like cobalt and chromium, became widely used in the belief that they would be more durable than previous types of implants.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:03 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Unless you are really uncomfortable with the Orthopaedic surgeon you are seeing it is very unusual to get a 2nd, never mind 3rd opinion for a hip fracture.

Its not like you can take the patient from office to office to get other opinions.....if you have a hip fracture you are admitted to the hospital and typically have surgery within 24 hours of the injury.

There are serious potential complications to delaying surgery and you are unlikely to get another Orthopaedic surgeon to come to the hospital to see your family member unless they already know them.

It is also exceedingly rare to have a total hip replacement after a fracture, at least acutely after the fracture.

There are 3 basic types of hip fractures: femoral neck, intertrochanteric and subtrochanteric.

The fracture pattern basically determines the surgical procedure. A non displaced femoral neck fracture might be pinned. A displaced femoral neck fracture may require hemi arthroplasty which is a partial hip replacement.

Intertrochanteric fractures get fixed with a nail, subtrochanteric usually nail or side plate.

While its all well and good to "research" implants online, keep in mind that the Orthopaedic surgeon has a good deal more insight into what the best implant is for the problem at hand. Most surgeons won't take kindly to a family member dictating what type of implant to use based on a google search.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:24 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
While its all well and good to "research" implants online, keep in mind that the Orthopaedic surgeon has a good deal more insight into what the best implant is for the problem at hand. Most surgeons won't take kindly to a family member dictating what type of implant to use based on a google search.
What I've read about InterTAN intermedullary nail is that it's new & possibly still in clinical trials InterTAN IM Nail Versus Sliding Hip Screw in Geriatric Fractures - This study is currently recruiting participants.
Verified by Lawson Health Research Institute, March 2010
First Received: April 18, 2008 Last Updated: March 23, 2010

This is why I said they should get other opinions.
I am not familiar with hip fractures & what they do for them.

My question would be; what if they did nothing? Fractures usually heal on their own. I guess it depends on exactly where the fracture is & how bad.

The reason I posted the news story about the hip being recalled was so that they can see that in some cases it's wise to do a quick search.. granted as long as there is time.

I know someone that had a hip done; they thought they were getting the porcelain hip but the Dr ended up putting in the one that in the story I linked to.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
What I've read about InterTAN intermedullary nail is that it's new & possibly still in clinical trials InterTAN IM Nail Versus Sliding Hip Screw in Geriatric Fractures - This study is currently recruiting participants.
Verified by Lawson Health Research Institute, March 2010
First Received: April 18, 2008 Last Updated: March 23, 2010

This is why I said they should get other opinions.
I am not familiar with hip fractures & what they do for them.

My question would be; what if they did nothing? Fractures usually heal on their own. I guess it depends on exactly where the fracture is & how bad.

The reason I posted the news story about the hip being recalled was so that they can see that in some cases it's wise to do a quick search.. granted as long as there is time.

I know someone that had a hip done; they thought they were getting the porcelain hip but the Dr ended up putting in the one that in the story I linked to.
99 % of hip fractures require surgery....

The ONLY exceptions I have ever seen in 16 years of Orthopaedic practice is the patient that is so frail and/or has so many medical comorbidities that they might not survive the surgery.

Hip fractures require immediate attention and it really isn't practical to get a 2nd opinion.....they ALL require surgery.

Really the only reason I can see for a 2nd opinion is if you really don't trust the surgeon, have heard of problems, etc.

Its just really difficult to accomplish...

Now if you have hip arthritis and are thinking of getting a hip replacement, by all means, shop around, make sure you are getting the best surgeon and you are really confident in what you are being told.

The main difference is one is an elective procedure....the other is an urgent procedure.....

Its NEVER a bad idea to get multiple opinions, in some instances it just isn't practical......I understand what you are saying, good idea..... sometimes you can overthink a problem though and there are potentially serious consequences to delaying hip surgery after a fracture...

Old 07-17-2010, 07:40 AM

73 posts, read 231,980 times
Wait just a second bluedevilz.... though first I'd like to say interesting thread.

At age 54 (4-1/2 years ago) I learned I have a congenitally deformed left hip, and osteoarthritis of same. Twice I was refused a hip replacement because of the nature of the hip deformity: "it's a different procedure, and doesn't always work" and also refused because of my "young age" and "it isn't that bad." (Oh really now?)

Now I'm on SSD for the hip and 4 other things - all physical none mental - and I've never heard that a hip replacement is ELECTIVE. As a hip patient I say what the hell?? My condition has worsened and getting worse, I now use a 4-pronged stabilizing cane.

A hip replacement is not "elective" like cosmetic surgery or something. I (and other patients) need to walk. I won't know until I receive Medicare in January whether I'll even be able to get a hip replacement eventually.... I doubt it. (I've been uninsured for the past almost 3 years.)

Old 07-18-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird3 View Post
Wait just a second bluedevilz.... though first I'd like to say interesting thread.

At age 54 (4-1/2 years ago) I learned I have a congenitally deformed left hip, and osteoarthritis of same. Twice I was refused a hip replacement because of the nature of the hip deformity: "it's a different procedure, and doesn't always work" and also refused because of my "young age" and "it isn't that bad." (Oh really now?)

Now I'm on SSD for the hip and 4 other things - all physical none mental - and I've never heard that a hip replacement is ELECTIVE. As a hip patient I say what the hell?? My condition has worsened and getting worse, I now use a 4-pronged stabilizing cane.

A hip replacement is not "elective" like cosmetic surgery or something. I (and other patients) need to walk. I won't know until I receive Medicare in January whether I'll even be able to get a hip replacement eventually.... I doubt it. (I've been uninsured for the past almost 3 years.)
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles and I hope you are able to find some relief

But

A total hip replacement is absolutely "elective" surgery....

"Elective surgery: Surgery that is subject to choice (election). The choice may be made by the patient or doctor.

For example, the time when a surgical procedure is performed may be elective. The procedure is beneficial to the patient but does not need be done at a particular time.

As opposed to urgent or emergency surgery."
Elective surgery definition - Medical Dictionary definitions of popular medical terms easily defined on MedTerms

Any surgery that is not needed urgently or emergently is "elective"

Unless life or limb is threatened, surgery is elective

Old 07-18-2010, 09:35 AM

73 posts, read 231,980 times
Thanks bluedevilz, so basically I'll just "hope" to fall and break my hip so they'll be forced to do it whether I'm on Medicare or married to Warren Buffett.

My mother passed away from ALS last month. If she hadn't developed a blood clot in one of her legs, we would have had a very long and difficult time getting her onto Medicaid and into assisted living. Because of her advanced age and ALS she went straight to "hospice/rehab," then straight on Medicaid and straight into assisted living. It was a blessing in disguise.

So I'm not going to freak out or regret it if I fall and break my hip. It too will be a blessing in disguise.

Last edited by hummingbird3; 07-18-2010 at 10:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness