Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 05:06 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times

Advertisements

I agree they handled it wrong. I imagine had they asked you first and explained what they were after you may have capitulated-having them march 20 folks in the room without your consent is a bit over the top.

If you are in a teaching hospital you accept that "teaching" is part of the deal with being there, though. Don't know if that was the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 09:03 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
While I do think some of this thread is ridiculous, there is a point here, too. Patients, especially those in non-emergency settings, do deserve dignity. I object to the way they go about exams, barely half-closing the door, someone coming in while an exam is going on, gigling students taking notes, all that does make a patient uncomfortable and not able to be as free with their discussion of their symptoms.

I had a transvaginal US done as part of a pregnancy test, next thing I knew 20 medical students, all with their clipboards, filed into the room, after I was "positioned" I asked the nurse to take the US wand out. sat up and asked why all the students. The stock answer, well, they have to learn somehow. I pointed out they wouldn't learn anything watching me draped in a humilating position while watching a tv screen. I suggested a better way to learn would be for the students to observe the machine when not in use, observe some us films without the patient present, and, if they really felt there was something to be gained seeing the woman laying under the sheets with that thing stuck ih her have one of the female medical students or nurses volunteer to play "dummy" Sorry, I didn't consider it part of my role as a patient to de a display model. It cleared the room!
Well done for being your own advocate.

Patients have rights in any healthcare setting. As an RN one my roles is to be a patient advocate and support people in their decisions, educate them regarding their care and speak for them when they ask me to. I am always amazed at the number of patients who think they have to accept anything a Dr wants.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:58 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
I find my modesty level decreases in direct proportion to exactly how sick I am. I'm sick enough; I just don't care. For instance - childbirth. Didn't care!

I will say, and I didn't read the entire 18 page thread (!) but I definitely do NOT agree with the non-consenual pelvic exam under anesthesia. I hope this antiquated practice has been done away with and you had better believe I would be PISSED if I found out there were a line of students waiting to stick their finger up my unsuspecting vajajay.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:35 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Well done for being your own advocate.

Patients have rights in any healthcare setting. As an RN one my roles is to be a patient advocate and support people in their decisions, educate them regarding their care and speak for them when they ask me to. I am always amazed at the number of patients who think they have to accept anything a Dr wants.
When I had my babies we took Bradley childbirth classes and were so impressed 30 years ago with the approach (a bit different than Lamaze but not radically so) we paid for my daughter and son in law to take them.

My daughter walked into that hospital with her birthing plan and (which she had discussed up front with the doctor) very assertively steered an old school nurse away from giving her painkillers and and ordering an epidural. And, when I mean assertively - this was nurse Ratchet! I was proud of the preplanning and assertiveness in such a situation. I agree!

Now that was the 2nd child. For the first child, she also had the plan but developed pre-eclampsia. She realized that, hey, this is a dangerous situation and plans go out the window - goal is healhty mom, healthy baby -listen to the darned doctors.

--

Her sister in law did no planing and had a very different experience.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:04 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Hmmmmmm, the questions must have gotten to be a bit much for the OP, no activity on her part.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:06 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Hmmmmmm, the questions must have gotten to be a bit much for the OP, no activity on her part.

She most likely gave up because nobody understands her here, you and seen upset because she is standing by her beliefs and you are unable to change her. probably best she moved on.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
She most likely gave up because nobody understands her here, you and seen upset because she is standing by her beliefs and you are unable to change her. probably best she moved on.
I have it on good authority that the OP has done the same thing on several boards, it seems to be an agenda.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:54 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I have it on good authority that the OP has done the same thing on several boards, it seems to be an agenda.

Maybe she does have an agenda. Who cares?

I wish people were more modest in general. Seeing womens muffin tops and ass cracks, super short shorts with cottage cheese thighs everytime I go out is getting to be a bit gaggening. They won't listen to me that they look ridiculous and nobody will listen to modest women on the any of the boards either.

if she is uncomfortable with male doctors, she can always find female doctors. If women are comfortable flauting all their body fat, that fine too. Not everyone is modest, there are both extremes. Just the way it is.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post

I wish people were more modest in general. Seeing womens muffin tops and ass cracks, super short shorts with cottage cheese thighs everytime I go out is getting to be a bit gaggening. They won't listen to me that they look ridiculous and nobody will listen to modest women on the any of the boards either.
That has nothing to do with modesty, it has everything to do with tacky.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:14 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Ugh, last year I had to have a scrotal ultrasound done by a young female nurse (and I'm gay). It was a bit uncomfortable when the nurse entered the room, dimmed the lights, turned on some music, and proceeded to coat by balls with jelly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness