Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 05:52 AM

11 posts, read 18,529 times

Advertisements

Hi Disgusted:

When nurse said you had to be exposed more, I'd a respectfully requested a male at that point even if I had to wait. Wearing a jockstrap might cover the front privates adequately but give then access for things like shots to the hip. Never wore one before will have to look into that possibility.

Take care,
Soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 06:25 AM

5,839 posts, read 6,108,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulstealer View Post
Hi Disgusted:

When nurse said you had to be exposed more, I'd a respectfully requested a male at that point even if I had to wait. Wearing a jockstrap might cover the front privates adequately but give then access for things like shots to the hip. Never wore one before will have to look into that possibility.

Take care,
Soul.
My husband requests that his patients wear their underwear in the OR (which the OR staff often forgets to do so they usually arrive naked). He applies his own tourniquits, so he is accessing the hip and femoral area. So, it's certainly worth asking the staff if you can do that. Many of them would prefer it, believe me.

However, I don't think many patients realize that modesty sometimes can't be maintained and there is a reason for it. In the ER, clothing has to be completely removed in trauma and with an unconscious patient to check for injuries. In the OR, it is a safety (sometimes open flames are in use) and sterility/infection control concern.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:22 PM

983 posts, read 1,047,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulstealer View Post
Hi Disgusted:

Take care,
Soul.

Errr...You do know that there are male medical staff who "like" looking at other men, don't you? A male nurse/tech probably isn't much safer than a female nurse/tech.

You've got to wrap your mind around the fact that medical staff is there to treat your medical needs, not oogle your "parts". Perverts in medical environments are rare, but they do come in both genders. I am more concerned about getting good medical care than obsessing about someone looking at my "parts". And yes, I am from a conservative background and dress conservatively/modestly.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:49 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,752,967 times
As a male who has LOTS of intimate care by female nurses & techs, the issue is not so much having opposite sex intimate exposure but rather that exposure being done respectfully. For example have been catheterized dozens of times. Being treated respectfully means no extraneous people in the room. If they need to speak with the nurse they need to wait until she is done with me. Don't just barge in. Being treated respectfully is pulling the curtain or shutting the door as appropriate before I am exposed. For a catheterization it is not lifting my gown until she is ready to immediately cover me with those drapes that only leave the penis exposed. Believe it or not, that and throwing a sheet over my legs makes it feel as if I'm not fully exposed. Being treated respectfully is telling me what you are going to do before you do it. Don't just grab my penis. If it is my abdomen that needs to be examined, put a sheet over my bottom half before you pull up my gown to expose my abdomen. You don't need to put my genitals on view in order to examine my abdomen. If there are going to be students of any sort present for surgery, treatment, or exam, ask me before hand if it is OK and introduce them to me before the procedure. Don't just ambush me with a bunch of people showing up that I didn't know were going to be there, and having no idea what exactly they are. There is a big difference between Residents and 18 year olds in a 2 month CNA training program.

I can say that in recent years female nurses & techs have become much more professional in all the things I note above but there are still too many that don't think the kinds of basic considerations I describe are necessary for men.

If I ask a question or express a modesty concern, please respond professionally. Don't talk down to me with the "we're all professionals, I've seen it all before, don't be silly stuff". That's dismissive and insulting. Instead tell me that you understand this can be embarassing, that there isn't a same sex person available, and that you will do everything you can to minimize my exposure. Just knowing that you understand where they are coming from would make most guys more comfortable with you proceeding.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:00 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,449,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
As a male who has LOTS of intimate care by female nurses & techs, the issue is not so much having opposite sex intimate exposure but rather that exposure being done respectfully. For example have been catheterized dozens of times. Being treated respectfully means no extraneous people in the room. If they need to speak with the nurse they need to wait until she is done with me. Don't just barge in. Being treated respectfully is pulling the curtain or shutting the door as appropriate before I am exposed. For a catheterization it is not lifting my gown until she is ready to immediately cover me with those drapes that only leave the penis exposed. Believe it or not, that and throwing a sheet over my legs makes it feel as if I'm not fully exposed. Being treated respectfully is telling me what you are going to do before you do it. Don't just grab my penis. If it is my abdomen that needs to be examined, put a sheet over my bottom half before you pull up my gown to expose my abdomen. You don't need to put my genitals on view in order to examine my abdomen. If there are going to be students of any sort present for surgery, treatment, or exam, ask me before hand if it is OK and introduce them to me before the procedure. Don't just ambush me with a bunch of people showing up that I didn't know were going to be there, and having no idea what exactly they are. There is a big difference between Residents and 18 year olds in a 2 month CNA training program.

I can say that in recent years female nurses & techs have become much more professional in all the things I note above but there are still too many that don't think the kinds of basic considerations I describe are necessary for men.

If I ask a question or express a modesty concern, please respond professionally. Don't talk down to me with the "we're all professionals, I've seen it all before, don't be silly stuff". That's dismissive and insulting. Instead tell me that you understand this can be embarassing, that there isn't a same sex person available, and that you will do everything you can to minimize my exposure. Just knowing that you understand where they are coming from would make most guys more comfortable with you proceeding.
Very well said. Welcome to CD!

Old 04-27-2016, 06:48 PM

Thanks ToucheGA. Many men like me who grew up in the 50's - 70's had no expectation of privacy whatsoever in school or medical settings. Our modesty was bullied and shamed out of us. Today's young adult men grew up in a very different world in this regard and are much more modest. I think they are the reason the medical community began treating male patients much more respectfully as concerns intimate exposure. As they age and become more frequent flyers in the healthcare system I expect we'll see a lot of pressure to address the current double standard, but us older guys need to help pave the way by at a minimum insisting that we be treated with the same degree of consideration as women patients, even if same sex nursing and tech staff proves not to be an option for us. I accept the reality that there are so few men in the field, but I will not tolerate needless exposure or unprofessional conduct. I had my share of both in years past and will no longer tolerate it.

I will note a very positive change I recently observed. My wife had surgery and the hospital had more patients than rooms. She and a couple others were placed in the pediatric/adolescents area and I was very pleased to see several male RN's working there. In the old days adolescent boys in such settings only had female nurses and the results could be extremely humiliating for young teens. I know from personal experience when I was hospitalized as a young pubescent teen.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:25 PM

Me again. I had a routine colonoscopy this morning without sedation. No pain whatsoever from the procedure. Just a little cramping from the colon being inflated. That took care of itself when the procedure was over. This is how I will always do it in the future. In addition to avoiding the versed which I don't handle well, not being sedated ensures there is no unwarranted exposure. Give it a try guys.

The doctor was male but it appears the practice only has female nurses. The 2 nurses were very professional and I had total privacy getting undressed and then dressed with them asking if I was ready before entering the room. My front side was kept covered at all times with no exposure at all. The backside of course was exposed but that didn't bother me at all. Before the procedure I asked the nurse if staff were allowed to wander in and out during the procedure and she said no, that they work hard to protect patient privacy and that also the doctor doesn't like to be disturbed when with a patient.

Though I'd love the option of having male nurses I did not have any complaints at all about how the nurses treated me today. Both were very professional.

And as a reminder to guys that refuse to have colonoscopies for lack of male staff, they found 5 polyps today, a couple of them rather large. Hopefully they prove to be benign and assuming that is the case now with them removed they won't be able to become malignant. If they are malignant, best to discover that now rather than later when it has spread. I had an uncle die of colon cancer. It is not a pleasant experience.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:19 PM

36,961 posts, read 40,902,803 times
Here's hoping your polyps were all benign! Suzy Q

Old 04-28-2016, 08:27 PM

10,248 posts, read 10,496,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Thanks ToucheGA. Many men like me who grew up in the 50's - 70's had no expectation of privacy whatsoever in school or medical settings. Our modesty was bullied and shamed out of us. Today's young adult men grew up in a very different world in this regard and are much more modest. I think they are the reason the medical community began treating male patients much more respectfully as concerns intimate exposure. As they age and become more frequent flyers in the healthcare system I expect we'll see a lot of pressure to address the current double standard, but us older guys need to help pave the way by at a minimum insisting that we be treated with the same degree of consideration as women patients, even if same sex nursing and tech staff proves not to be an option for us. I accept the reality that there are so few men in the field, but I will not tolerate needless exposure or unprofessional conduct. I had my share of both in years past and will no longer tolerate it.

I will note a very positive change I recently observed. My wife had surgery and the hospital had more patients than rooms. She and a couple others were placed in the pediatric/adolescents area and I was very pleased to see several male RN's working there. In the old days adolescent boys in such settings only had female nurses and the results could be extremely humiliating for young teens. I know from personal experience when I was hospitalized as a young pubescent teen.
I grew up in the 50s-70s. I don't understand what you mean by, "Our modesty was bullied and shamed out of us." Boys in my junior high, and what had previously been a high school took swimming class in the nude. By the time I got there in 1967, the majority of the boys were wearing swimsuits, but you never had the excuse that you forgot your swimsuit. We had to shower before and after swimming in a small shower room with 6 nozzles being shared by around 30 boys in a few minutes.

There were times we swam nude in the river, creeks or lakes. I don't understand who would've bullied or shamed you. I was also in the Boy Scouts, numerous sports teams and spent time in the Army living in a 1940 Army barracks. Yes, I understand things are different today. I've taught middle school physical education classes where the boys change in a toilet stall. They would've been laughed at in 1967.

Regarding being treated for medical issues, I feel much more comfortable with females. With the number of women who have seen my naked body, I feel more comfortable with them as opposed to a potential gay man.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:33 PM

48,271 posts, read 34,391,475 times
In a medical situation the last thing I care about is modesty. I care about receiving the best possible medical attention.

People can wander in and out, you can pull the sheet off my body completely, heck, if it will do some good, record it and share it with other medical personnel.

OP: hope it's all benign
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness