Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 07:12 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,013,387 times

Advertisements

I wore the BP monitor for 24 hours and my doctor said there was one reading at 152 and a few bottom numbers above 90. She said she didnt feel my blood pressure wasn't controlled enough. Does that sound right to anyone here?

I told her that I have to probably have a wisdom tooth removed or a root canal and how the heck am I going to have that done with numbers like this on a regular day?

She said she is afraid she might lower my BP too much and can't treat it when it goes too high. We're still waiting for the 24 hour urine test results.

I was fine just 2 months ago and was on no medication, I was at the doctors and it was actually LOWER without meds. To be it doesn't seem this BP medication is doing much at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 08:19 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
I wore the BP monitor for 24 hours and my doctor said there was one reading at 152 and a few bottom numbers above 90. She said she didnt feel my blood pressure wasn't controlled enough. Does that sound right to anyone here?

I told her that I have to probably have a wisdom tooth removed or a root canal and how the heck am I going to have that done with numbers like this on a regular day?

She said she is afraid she might lower my BP too much and can't treat it when it goes too high. We're still waiting for the 24 hour urine test results.

I was fine just 2 months ago and was on no medication, I was at the doctors and it was actually LOWER without meds. To be it doesn't seem this BP medication is doing much at all
What were the other blood pressure numbers? No one is going to have the same blood pressure 24 hours a day.

It has become obvious that a major factor with your blood pressure is your anxiety about it. The more anxious you are, the more you are going to have those spikes that worry you so much. I know that with your family history you have reason to be concerned, but your level of concern is approaching an obsession. Random elevations are not going to cause a stroke or other organ damage; it is an elevation of the average pressure over time that will do that, and, from what you say the 24 hour study does not indicate an elevation in your average pressure.

What you need now is a balanced approach to everyday living that includes a good diet with not much salt, daily exercise, and stress management, perhaps yoga or meditation. Ask your doctor if some anti-anxiety medication (or perhaps a beta blocker) could be useful for the short term. Beta blockers blunt the nervousness that some performers get - "stage fright" - for example.

Finally, stop taking your blood pressure multiple times a day. This is the compulsion that goes along with your obsession. If you cannot decrease the frequency with which you take it, then you are going to need to talk to someone about obsessive compulsive disorder, OCD, and I wonder if you may have other symptoms of OCD that you have not shared with the board.

When you do take your pressure, do it after you have been sitting, relaxed, for at least 15 to 20 minutes and only take one reading. Better yet, have a family member do it for you while you sit with your eyes closed thinking about something pleasant. Start out taking it once a day for one week, then every other day for one week, then twice a week for one week, then weekly.

There really does not appear to be any medical issue that would prevent you from having your dental work done. There is really no need for the dentist to even check your pressure. Dental work is unpleasant, but it does not need to be painful. I slept through my root canal!

Old 07-31-2010, 09:02 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,013,387 times
yes I have OCD also. I do have a thing for numbers, they call us 9 10ers. I also have to have everything perfect and color coordinated. I won't go into details, would take too long. My husband teases me and calls me Monk... it was a TV show about a guy with OCD.

But it hasn't interfered with my life so no need to treat it.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:40 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What were the other blood pressure numbers? No one is going to have the same blood pressure 24 hours a day.

It has become obvious that a major factor with your blood pressure is your anxiety about it. The more anxious you are, the more you are going to have those spikes that worry you so much. I know that with your family history you have reason to be concerned, but your level of concern is approaching an obsession. Random elevations are not going to cause a stroke or other organ damage; it is an elevation of the average pressure over time that will do that, and, from what you say the 24 hour study does not indicate an elevation in your average pressure.

What you need now is a balanced approach to everyday living that includes a good diet with not much salt, daily exercise, and stress management, perhaps yoga or meditation. Ask your doctor if some anti-anxiety medication (or perhaps a beta blocker) could be useful for the short term. Beta blockers blunt the nervousness that some performers get - "stage fright" - for example.

Finally, stop taking your blood pressure multiple times a day. This is the compulsion that goes along with your obsession. If you cannot decrease the frequency with which you take it, then you are going to need to talk to someone about obsessive compulsive disorder, OCD, and I wonder if you may have other symptoms of OCD that you have not shared with the board.

When you do take your pressure, do it after you have been sitting, relaxed, for at least 15 to 20 minutes and only take one reading. Better yet, have a family member do it for you while you sit with your eyes closed thinking about something pleasant. Start out taking it once a day for one week, then every other day for one week, then twice a week for one week, then weekly.

There really does not appear to be any medical issue that would prevent you from having your dental work done. There is really no need for the dentist to even check your pressure. Dental work is unpleasant, but it does not need to be painful. I slept through my root canal!
This is a very good post Cupcake, read it carefully. Your obsession needs some therapy and/or medication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness