U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 05:35 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,402,826 times

Advertisements

I have not gone to the doctor yet but 1 week ago I am pretty sure I broke my toe. Swelling of the impacted toe, Mild Technicolor effects across top of foot near the base of the toes, sore when it goes anywhere near a shoe and mild pain otherwise. Sharp pain, wave of nausea when it happened.

It was doing *ok* until today the dog stepped on it and it is hurting again.

It is not at a funky angle and most of the swelling seems to be around the middle joint, and I figure the doctor really can't do much. It is next to my little toe. I can do the stationary cycles ok, but even the elliptical is too much right now.

Figuring 8 weeks if a broken bone? How long for the pain and swelling to subside? . My attitude towards the pain is that pain has a function in limiting activity and it is not so bad that it is unbearable, unless I am trying to walk too much, just annoying.

Is there any point at going to the doctor at this point? Any problems with excercise (I figure excercise is good if I am not working the bad toe - and the bike allows me to do that)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 08:07 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
When I was a teenager, I broke my big toe by kicking my obnoxious brother. Typical teen stuff. My orthopedic surgeon father had me wear a lace-up oxford for 2 months. No other treatment. Sounds like you have a similar toe!

Old 08-01-2010, 03:22 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,512,989 times
When I broke my middle toe I did go to the DR and had an x-ray taken, just to know. The DR said there is really little to do, the toe should be all healed up in about 6 weeks, and if I wanted to I could make a "splint" to keep the toe from further abuse. I had very little pain and now I'm more careful with my toes

Old 08-01-2010, 03:39 PM

6,233 posts, read 18,123,468 times
I broke a toe or two when I was 12 and as a typical 12 year old I learned what I could or could not do with it. A doctor can't do much; it's hard to put a toe in a cast! Maybe you should go get an xray to make sure it is a clean break and if it is just be careful for the next month and a half and try to stay clear of your dog's feet; I know that can be a hard thing to do with some animals.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:02 PM

31,165 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Tape the offending toe to one of its neighbors for stability. Wear shoes that give your toes plenty of room to wriggle around. Take it easy for at least four weeks; if the bike doesn't bother you, stick with it. Otherwise, be kind to your tootsies!

Avoid the dog! LOL Hope you feel better soon.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:12 PM

2,185 posts, read 3,890,063 times
I think I have broken misc toes so many times. I never have done anything, except once I taped them because of the pain.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:00 PM

I have jammed toes before and had them sore for a few days but never quite this painful after a week.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:16 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,716,950 times
It will get better...just takes time and REST! Try not to put any undue stress on it...if it hurts, stop doing that!

If it's still really swollen, and painful after you take it easy for a week or so, head to the doctor. Are you icing it? Try that, too, along with keeping that foot raised whenever possible!
Good luck!

Old 08-02-2010, 06:48 PM

I did ice it but not recently but I decided I really have to back off on the excercise - doing much better today....sigh. Thanks

Old 08-06-2010, 03:23 AM

Well, I did figure it out. I think I must have broke it then pushed the bone back somehow. I was looking at both feet which are very symmetrical and realized that the bad toe is noticebaly shorter and fatter than the same toe on the other foot.

So I called the doctor, explained the variance, and she just said to buddy tape it not much to do for it, and as much as it still hurts I think I am going to have to suck it up and excercise. I cannot go for 6-8 weeks without doing that - will just keep it low impact.

I am normally NOT a whiny butt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness