Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:51 PM

408 posts, read 809,202 times

Advertisements

I've had a couple UTI's in the past but I just take the cranberry pills along with cranberry juice for about 2 days and it always clears up on it's own. I've been to the dr. for it before and he prescribes some antibiotics but I found that the cranberry pill/juice worked faster. I've had a UTI for about 5 days along with taking the pills/juice everyday...pretty much all day I drink cranberry juice. Is there any other natural rememdies that anyone has taken to help make this go away? I prefer using natural herbs/supplements to antibiotics. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Sorry such a long post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 01:55 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,121 times
If it is persisting I would go ahead and see the doctor as it can become a much more dangerous kidney infection. IF someone suggests AZO that is just to relieve symptoms and is not curative.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:02 PM

Ok I may have to go to the Doc. I've never taken AZO before. The UTI will be better one day, the just as bad the next, I don't get it. Cranberry has always worked before for me.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:25 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,752 times
The cranberry juice will only work if it a very mild infection or as a preventative measure. Don't be stupid like I was. I waited and waited before going into the Dr.'s and I ended up with a kidney infection. I had a high fever with chills and back pain. I went to the ER. It was full of people. I thought I'd have a long wait. As soon as I sat down they called me. It was that bad. They had to put hot blankets on me and give me IV antibiotics.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:28 PM

Oh wow, I just read up on it and had no idea it lead to kidney infections. I'll probably have to schedule an appt. when I have a day off, most likely Monday...kind of a long time to wait. But for now, I'm just keeping hydrated drinking lots of water and alternating with cranberry juice. I will probably continue to take the pills for the time being. Thank you though as I was unaware of the kidney infection risk.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:49 PM

Also, I was wondering if there was any specific foods that I can eat that will help? I read blueberries will help, beans, potatoes. There were numerous sites saying I basically couldn't eat any meat. Pretty much everything I was going to make for dinner is off the list lol...no sour cream, red meat, corn, pasta, white bread, pineapple, the list goes on!

Old 08-04-2010, 02:53 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,121 times
I mainly know about staying away from sugars - I would do what I could to get to the doctor BEFORE Monday. Maybe you explain to the nurse and they can call in a script and do a follwup test.

If not and you get a fever or see blook in urine head to the ER or the urgent care.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:11 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,264,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
- I would do what I could to get to the doctor BEFORE Monday. Maybe you explain to the nurse and they can call in a script and do a follwup test.

If not and you get a fever or see blook in urine head to the ER or the urgent care.
Yes, I agree. If you have the urgent care or "doc in the box" type offices where you live I would go in there. In fact, if nothing else I would even consider the ER (and I'm not one to run to an ER lightly) As others said, it can progress to the kidneys and even less serious than that, I have had a few where I waited too long and it took longer to get rid of them.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:16 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcody View Post
I've had a couple UTI's in the past but I just take the cranberry pills along with cranberry juice for about 2 days and it always clears up on it's own. I've been to the dr. for it before and he prescribes some antibiotics but I found that the cranberry pill/juice worked faster. I've had a UTI for about 5 days along with taking the pills/juice everyday...pretty much all day I drink cranberry juice. Is there any other natural rememdies that anyone has taken to help make this go away? I prefer using natural herbs/supplements to antibiotics. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Sorry such a long post!
Echinacea, golden seal, astralagus, vitamins D and C.

Lots of PURE water. Skirts, and no undies if you can get away with it, or boxers if you can't.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-04-2010, 03:19 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,608 times
I have ended up in the ER with a UTI so severe I got Vicodin with my antibiotics and my pyridium. I can't stand the pain and mine come on so quickly that I have to keep meds at home.

Cranberry juice is like the devil for me. Much too acidic. I do keep d-mannose powder at home. It is derived from cranberries and you take it by mouth and wash it down with water. It doesn't have the same amount of sugar or acidity.

As for treating it, I'd say you're at a point where a doc is warranted. In the early stages, I'll do the d-mannose powder and hydrate by alternating water and herbal tea that is made with uva ursi and cornsilk. Then I'll also take some garlic tabs. If it starts to get worse, I have to see a doctor. I also have interstitial cystitis, so it is hard to determine if I have a true infection or just a flare-up. Persistant pain is indicative of an infection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness