U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 02:50 PM

4,851 posts, read 8,319,922 times

Advertisements

My sister's husband has had Parkinson's for 10 years. The neurologist believes State 3 or 4 - he worked until recently but seems to be going downhill now.

He just turned 60 and has applied for disability. They have home health care but just found out it does not cover what they need.

He was a commercial diver in his 20's, worked on the oil rigs and then worked around chemicals until recently.

My sister works 2 jobs, has 3 children now in their late teens, early 20's but is very concerned about his being left at home now. He has a very hard time sleeping and sometimes has to sleep during the day. His body goes rigid at different times and he can't move.

I'm so sad for her (and him) - I try to listen and be encouraging - what are some things people can do? (to make the sick one feels better and copes?)

Are there some secret old fashioned remedies out there?

PS - He tried the Theracycle years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 04:05 PM

13,140 posts, read 35,972,978 times
Bette

Have you logged onto Michael J Fox's Parkinson's website as they have tons of info including all the latest scientific and genetic research, clinical trials and other good info.

The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research

Old 08-08-2010, 04:58 PM

Smile living with it....

I think she has - if anyone could share their stories, good and bad - what happens in real terms - I know every situation is different but what worked for your loved one, etc?

She is trying so hard and this is so hard on her to come home to see her husband like this; this is not what she expected and she is trying to cope.

She and her family have very strong faith but even so, encouragement is needed!

She was a wonderful caregiver for our mother who passed away earlier this year and she feels she was a breeze compared to what she is dealing with now.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:49 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,972,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I think she has - if anyone could share their stories, good and bad - what happens in real terms - I know every situation is different but what worked for your loved one, etc?

She is trying so hard and this is so hard on her to come home to see her husband like this; this is not what she expected and she is trying to cope.

She and her family have very strong faith but even so, encouragement is needed!

She was a wonderful caregiver for our mother who passed away earlier this year and she feels she was a breeze compared to what she is dealing with now.
Bette

you asked earlier for ''some secret old fashioned remedies'' and honestly i've never heard of any working for Parkinson's.

That being said i do however study many of the different neurological diseases and i have read about how the Ketogenic diet (80% fat/20% protein/0% carb) works well for many with epilepsy and actually used by some mainstream physicians to treat those who fail in taking meds.

Also i've read numerous Pubmed studies showing the ketogenic diet restoring nerve function in Parkinson's and ALS mice in these studies and infact MDA is recruiting a large USA study of the ketogenic diet and those currently diagnosed with ALS.
Participants Sought for Three ALS Trials | MDA/ALS Newsmagazine - MDA.org

Also here's an interesting Pubmed study showing how mice with Parkinson's were fed the ketogenic diet and then looked at the cellular changes that took place to protect the diseased neurons etc.
Ketogenic diet protects dopaminergic neurons again... [Brain Res. 2009] - PubMed result

Am i saying that being on a ketogenic diet will help him ? No ... but you did ask for some ''out of the box'' solutions since medical science is not helping him and so do some research on this as it's the only type of diet i've researched over these several years that has at least in the lab has improved neurological scores on many different types of neuro diseases.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:47 AM

Smile Thank you!

I will pass it on to her. Thanks so much!

Old 08-11-2010, 05:02 AM

9,172 posts, read 20,201,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
He was a commercial diver in his 20's, worked on the oil rigs and then worked around chemicals until recently.
What chemicals? Do you know if he was using chemicals with Benzene?
Benzene was found in a lot of the products used in service stations (carb cleaners, liquid wrench) as well as auto body & house painting.

Do you know if he's had recent blood work where they looked at his white count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness