Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:03 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
However, many people with diabetes and those with major cravings for sweet things really do benefit from Splenda and aspartame.

Benefit? I find that hard to believe. I'd like to look at the study that shows the evidence that a diabetic actually benefits from it.

I'm with you KewGee...no one could pay me enough money to touch that junk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 10:07 PM

938 posts, read 2,897,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
Benefit? I find that hard to believe. I'd like to look at the study that shows the evidence that a diabetic actually benefits from it.

I'm with you KewGee...no one could pay me enough money to touch that junk.
The benefit wouldn't be directly physiological because it is physiologically benign. These patients benefit because they crave glucose and use it as a substitute. Avoiding excessive glucose intake is one of the hallmarks of proper diabetes management. It improves their quality of life greatly and allows them to manage their diabetes much easier.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
The benefit wouldn't be directly physiological because it is physiologically benign. These patients benefit because they crave glucose and use it as a substitute. Avoiding excessive glucose intake is one of the hallmarks of proper diabetes management. It improves their quality of life greatly and allows them to manage their diabetes much easier.

That doesn't look like the actual study to me??? It looks like your opinion...which is fine. I just hope people that are reading this understand that it is only your opinion and does not back up actual evidence of a scientific study. Unless you have a valid link?

Old 06-25-2007, 10:11 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,465 times
Quote:
However, many people with diabetes and those with major cravings for sweet things really do benefit from Splenda and aspartame.

They couldn't possibly benefit from something as lethal as I believe aspartame to be. The only benefit is satisfying their sweet craving. I'd rather do without sweets as the taste of that stuff is nasty anyway.

This may sound funny, but I think one day it will be discovered that it does cause cancer. My pastor's wife ended up with breast cancer and she guzzles that stuff like crazy. I know several others who have/had breast cancer and the same thing, guzzlers of diet drinks. It may be purely a coincidence, but the people I know with the cancer do not have other members in their family with such.

Breast cancer seems to be much more rampant now than years ago with many younger women getting it. It really could be this terrible chemical. Time will tell.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Sorry, I wanted to hit on "Quote" but mistakenly clicked on "Edit". But I actually had nothing to edit. My question is~where do you buy fructose and what is it actually called? (Brand name or label) I've read that it's healthier then plain sugar, but as good because it's natural like it is in fruits. I really love my sugar and I've tried to drink diet pop or other diet drinks, but I can't stand them and I also get awful tummy aches from them. The newer one~Splenda is just as bad as the others.
I buy it at a health food store in my small town. I can't remember the brand name off hand because when I purchase it, I immediately put it in a Tupperware container and throw away the packaging.

I do know though there are several different labels, some less expensive than others and of course, this frugal woman buys that one. It's really great stuff and once I changed from sugar to it, I can't stand refined sugar anymore.

I'll be needing some again in about a week or so and when I buy it, I'll let you know the brand I get. I will leave a note for myself lest I'll forget.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
That doesn't look like the actual study to me??? It looks like your opinion...which is fine. I just hope people that are reading this understand that it is only your opinion and does not back up actual evidence of a scientific study. Unless you have a valid link?
Are you serious? You need a link to understand the basic concept of quality of life improvement and how sugar substitutes can help this? If you really need one, I might be able to find one, but I doubt severely that any medical journal would waste the time and money needed to confirm the fact that sugar substitutes help people with diabetes control blood glucose.

More importantly, why are you taking such an adversarial tone? I really don't want to debate because debate doesn't really interest me. I just like being an advocate for evidence based practice...that's it.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Are you serious? You need a link to understand the basic concept of quality of life improvement and how sugar substitutes can help this? If you really need one, I might be able to find one, but I doubt severely that any medical journal would waste the time and money needed to confirm the fact that sugar substitutes help people with diabetes control blood glucose.

More importantly, why are you taking such an adversarial tone? I really don't want to debate because debate doesn't really interest me. I just like being an advocate for evidence based practice...that's it.

Serious? lol...yeah, actually. I'm just simply asking for a link to back up your claims. It's not adversarial in the least. I'm just curious. The point was not about the quality of life? Wherever that came from...

Old 06-25-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post

They couldn't possibly benefit from something as lethal as I believe aspartame to be. The only benefit is satisfying their sweet craving. I'd rather do without sweets as the taste of that stuff is nasty anyway.

This may sound funny, but I think one day it will be discovered that it does cause cancer. My pastor's wife ended up with breast cancer and she guzzles that stuff like crazy. I know several others who have/had breast cancer and the same thing, guzzlers of diet drinks. It may be purely a coincidence, but the people I know with the cancer do not have other members in their family with such.

Breast cancer seems to be much more rampant now than years ago with many younger women getting it. It really could be this terrible chemical. Time will tell.
And you may be correct, time will tell. Science is always progressing and new evidence is continually being unturned. However, based upon the data and studies available right now, I would have to disagree with the hypothesis that it causes cancer.

A large, well designed study released this year in a major oncology journal seemed to show no link between neoplasms (cancer) and artificial sweetener use.

Many quote the Italian Ramanzinni study as showing an increased risk, but it was a poorly designed study and was ripped apart by the medical community.

Also there is that first huge metaanalysis I posted, too.

I'm not trying to be abrasive, I'm not trying to debate...I'm just saying....from a purely clinical standpoint, these links are yet to be proven.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Serious? lol...yeah, actually. I'm just simply asking for a link to back up your claims. It's not adversarial in the least. I'm just curious. The point was not about the quality of life? Wherever that came from...
Ok..now I'm confused...what exactly don't you understand about it?

Old 06-25-2007, 10:35 PM

Did you know that aspartame is sometimes combined with starch derivatives which releases glucose into the blood? That can't be good for diabetics.

Also, honey has been proven to be the most healthiest sweetener for people with type II diabetes.

Studies also show that small amounts of oral fructose actually improve glycemic control in people with diabetes.

Either of the above are better than the chemical of which we speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness