Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 09:40 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,082 times

Advertisements

I like to sleep on my side.

Thing is, when I lay on my left side, my left nostril gets congested and I only breathe through the right nostril. So when I turn to my right side, gravity seems to take over, and my right nostril gets clogged while my left nostril opens up.

This results in a lot of tossing and turning. I've tried using nasal strips, and they do help somewhat, but they aren't cheap and doesn't do anything about the congestion.

I'm mildly allergic to dust and pollen, and I may have a slightly deviated septum as a result of breaking my nose once while playing rugby in college.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 09:46 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,527,800 times
Well, it's not much, but you could try rubbing a little vicks vap-o-rub underneath your nose-just have to be careful not to rub your eyes afterwards!

Old 06-02-2007, 09:50 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,537 times
try a bit of Benedryl. If the tablets are stronger than you like, try the liquid children's. I take a bit each night (I have allergies) and sleep with a clear nose and the Benedryl relaxes me as well and I sleep like a baby. P

Old 06-02-2007, 09:52 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
I use Flonase, it comes in a generic now but does require a script, you spray it directly into the sinus cavity.

I have also heard that daily flushing of the sinus cavity with saline helps ALOT. In fact Oprah did a special recently where she showed the use of a netie pot which I plan on getting, they say you can find them at most drug stores...

If I can do the job without drugs then I would rather not use any.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:11 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post

Thing is, when I lay on my left side, my left nostril gets congested and I only breathe through the right nostril. So when I turn to my right side, gravity seems to take over, and my right nostril gets clogged while my left nostril opens up.

This results in a lot of tossing and turning. I've tried using nasal strips, and they do help somewhat, but they aren't cheap and doesn't do anything about the congestion.

I'm mildly allergic to dust and pollen, and I may have a slightly deviated septum as a result of breaking my nose once while playing rugby in college.

Well have you dust proofed your bedroom and bed linens yet? That will improve it considerably. Also treating your allergies will help a lot, I recommend zyrtec...it's the only one that has worked for me (same allergies as you). The nasal sprays help but I get nose bleeds with them, so if you can tolerate them it would be good to try them as well. As for the congestion draining from one side to the other...you may have a chronic sinusitis which may or may not need treatment, but some people swear by the surgery (I'm chicken an haven't done that yet). There is a new nonsurgical procedure that is working well for those that are good candidates for it, balloon aplasia of the sinus openings...basically opens your airway to allow more air in and congestions to drain out. Good luck I know it's miserable but if you talk it through with your doctor you should be able to find some relief.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:10 AM

I would like to tile my whole house...since I don't have the money for that at the moment, I am thinking of ripping the carpet up and painting the concrette floor.

They have wonderful stencils you can use to make it look like its tile but I will be able to clean it really well unlike the carpet which harbors all kinds of allergens.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:48 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I would like to tile my whole house...since I don't have the money for that at the moment, I am thinking of ripping the carpet up and painting the concrette floor.

They have wonderful stencils you can use to make it look like its tile but I will be able to clean it really well unlike the carpet which harbors all kinds of allergens.
I jerked the carpet up from my living room and hall and sons bedroom. My allergies are doing so much better. I put down laminate wood flooring and simply love it.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:02 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I use Flonase, it comes in a generic now but does require a script, you spray it directly into the sinus cavity.

I have also heard that daily flushing of the sinus cavity with saline helps ALOT. In fact Oprah did a special recently where she showed the use of a netie pot which I plan on getting, they say you can find them at most drug stores...

If I can do the job without drugs then I would rather not use any.
I also use Flonase to keep the airways open.
I have a nettie pot and LOVE it!!!!! They also make saline spray in an aerosol can now, works great and shoots right up the nose.
But the best thing is to get to the bottom of the congestion. While using the nettie pot in the AM is great, it still does not get you a comfortable night's sleep. I agree with the benadryl suggestion. That is also the ingredient in Tylenol PM, and I think its cheaper in the generic form than buying benadryl by itself.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:44 PM

I am allergic to alot of antihistamines and the ones I can take don't fix my problem, so I am thinking that once I can get rid of ALL the carpet in my house I will be alot better off.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:28 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post

Have you had your allergies tested by an allergist? If your allergies are making it more difficult to sleep, then it might be worth getting treatment for them, from an allergist.

Since you mention dust allergies, you might try covering your bed with a mattress encasing (and possibly one for the box-spring) of the sort sold by Allergy Control Products. I have dust mite allergies and have found that approach to be helpful.

You can also buy special dust mite killing detergent or laundry additive. I have only just started using this, but again, it seems that I've noticed some difference.

You might also consider buying an air cleaner to use in your bedroom, although now we are getting into a potentially more expensive investment.

Additionally, you could try nasal irrigation: running warm salt water through your nasal passages, to clean out your sinuses. I have found the Grossan Irrigation system to be the most satisfactory way to do this (but some people have gotten positive results by using a traditional neti pot, or using a squeeze bottle). Regular nasal irrigation has cut way back on the frequency with which I get sinus infections. Although I list this option last, it could make the biggest difference of all the suggestions I've made (but it makes sense to first do what you can to clear your bedroom of allergies).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness