Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 10:38 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,040 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever had this procedure performed on them before? How was the experience and did it actually improve your eyesight to any significant degree? I'm considering getting it since the Army will be picking up the bill for it and that I am just damn tired of wearing glasses for the past 10 or so years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 10:53 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,429 times
I had the procedure done almost 10 years ago, and without a shadow of a doubt, it was the BEST thing I have ever done for myself. I only wish it had been invented sooner! I don't know about you, but I had pretty poor eyesight and was completely reliant on my emergency glasses and endless supply of contact lenses. The savings on these two things alone has paid for the procedure a couple of times. Not to mention saving me the aggravation.

10 years later (and now over the 40 mark), I still have 20/20 vision. I have told anyone thinking of getting this procedure to RUN, not walk, and get it done. Obviously, you know to check out the place you are thinking of going to. I went to a Lasik center recommended by my eye doctor. On another note - I am REALLY squeamish about anything medical - but this was not bad.

Best of luck to you!

Old 08-16-2010, 07:19 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
I am also very happy with my lasik results.

I chose an experienced surgeon (he had done the procedure for a star major league baseball pitcher --- figured that was a pretty good testimonial!)

I do need reading glasses. I am "of a certain age" and elected not to have one eye corrected for near vision and one corrected for distant vision. It turns out my distant vision was a tiny bit undercorrected, so I can read a lot without glasses anyway. For example, my computer screen is nice and sharp right now. For the telephone book, I need the glasses.

It was amazing to leave the doctor's office on the day of the procedure and be able to see leaves on trees without glasses. It is wonderful to have full peripheral vision. I can sweat and not be forever pushing my glasses up on my nose.

I do have some halos around lights at night, and I do wear sunglasses when I am driving in the daytime. Sunglasses are a good idea to reduce the risk of cataracts, anyway.

I had worn glasses since I was in the second grade, and I do not miss them one bit!

If you religiously follow postop instructions, your risk of complications is extremely low.

OP, what is your MOS?

Old 08-16-2010, 07:44 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
I had PRK a few months ago. It has a more painful recovery but there are no halos. I did get one eye done at a time. My dh did it 3 years ago and he is also happy about it.
My only thing is that I used to read at night without glasses for hours and now my eyes get tired. I am happy to trade reading issues for not having to wear glasses. I had been afraid to do it for a while but when my ds finally broke my glasses after the millionth time of pulling them out of my face I made up my mind. Best decision ever. Now I am kicking myself for not doing it earlier.
Also with glasses I have never had 20/20 vision and now I do.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:10 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,353 times
I used to work for an ophthalmologist who performed Lasik and it's a great thing! I haven't had it done since I have good vision, but my husband had it done 5 years ago and is completely happy with it. He started wearing glasses in grade school, and couldn't see more than a couple feet in front of him. The cost of his contacts and backup glasses were astronomical so after some research he decided to do it--and my employee discount certainly helped! He even had to wear reading contacts over his glasses since he didn't want bifocals so young.

One thing to keep in mind is that even after Lasik or PRK, most people will require reading glasses at around age 45. This isn't because of a defect of the surgery; it's because the lens of the eye ages and becomes brittle, and there is no way to stop that from happening. Oh, and my husband's vision has remained steady at 20/15 so he is sooo happy!

Old 08-17-2010, 12:31 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I am also very happy with my lasik results.

I chose an experienced surgeon (he had done the procedure for a star major league baseball pitcher --- figured that was a pretty good testimonial!)

I do need reading glasses. I am "of a certain age" and elected not to have one eye corrected for near vision and one corrected for distant vision. It turns out my distant vision was a tiny bit undercorrected, so I can read a lot without glasses anyway. For example, my computer screen is nice and sharp right now. For the telephone book, I need the glasses.

It was amazing to leave the doctor's office on the day of the procedure and be able to see leaves on trees without glasses. It is wonderful to have full peripheral vision. I can sweat and not be forever pushing my glasses up on my nose.

I do have some halos around lights at night, and I do wear sunglasses when I am driving in the daytime. Sunglasses are a good idea to reduce the risk of cataracts, anyway.

I had worn glasses since I was in the second grade, and I do not miss them one bit!

If you religiously follow postop instructions, your risk of complications is extremely low.

OP, what is your MOS?
Thanks for all these replies, signed up, got approval from the CO and surprisingly no wait over here for this procedure. I'm getting my pupils dilated later this week. Oh and I'm an 88n.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness