Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 04:15 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times

Advertisements

I have had 3 c-sections and my stomach muscles just don't look the same. Also does anyone have an overhang of skin right above the incision or am I the only one.
Was anyone able to get their abs back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 06:11 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,164 times
I had 3 vertical c sections. I don't have any overhang but after the 3rd csection I was left with a nasty scar going from my naval on down. Looking into having the scar removed, but in some ways I kind of like it.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:20 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,624 times
yes, you can have six pack abs again....I had two c-sections. At first , I walked and jogged to rid the excess fat. Then, I did at least a 30 to 45 minute aerobic dance workout four to five times a week, sometimes more, it just became the first part of my day. I also two times a week did calisthemics (karate work up) and then karate kicks and punches, etc.
You have to be dedicated and do not let things get in the way of your scheduled workouts. You must do them, whatever you choose. I got in shape in a short time--6 months or so. Good Luck

Old 08-19-2010, 09:42 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I have had 3 c-sections and my stomach muscles just don't look the same. Also does anyone have an overhang of skin right above the incision or am I the only one.
Was anyone able to get their abs back?
The reason the muscles are not the same is the 3 babies! I knew an obstetrician once who compared a mom's abdomen after childbearing to pantyhose --- they never are the same once they've been worn once!

Seriously, though, your incision has been used three times. There is now scar tissue under the skin which has contracted and gives you the skin overhang you've noticed. The only way to deal with it would be to excise the entire scar, with no guarantee that the same thing wouldn't happen again. The muscles can be toned up with exercise. The muscles are not cut during a Cesarean section; the two wide straps of muscle that go from the lower rib cage to the pubic bone are spread apart (pregnancy actually causes them to separate some) and the incision continued through the abdominal lining to get to the uterus.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The reason the muscles are not the same is the 3 babies! I knew an obstetrician once who compared a mom's abdomen after childbearing to pantyhose --- they never are the same once they've been worn once!

Seriously, though, your incision has been used three times. There is now scar tissue under the skin which has contracted and gives you the skin overhang you've noticed. The only way to deal with it would be to excise the entire scar, with no guarantee that the same thing wouldn't happen again. The muscles can be toned up with exercise. The muscles are not cut during a Cesarean section; the two wide straps of muscle that go from the lower rib cage to the pubic bone are spread apart (pregnancy actually causes them to separate some) and the incision continued through the abdominal lining to get to the uterus.

Thanks for your intelligent reply. So I guess I'm stuck with it and the only theing I can do is get a tummy tuck which I would do if I could be awake during the operation and if I had the extra money to pay for it.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:58 AM

97 posts, read 210,010 times
I'm 14 months post and my stomach is still huge. People ask me when the baby is due. It makes me mad. I also breastfeed. I can see where my abdominal muscles have split. My stomach stretched so much, but I didn't get stretch marks on it. I feel like I've had abdominal collapse, if that is even possible.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:06 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,148,973 times
I'm in the same boat. I am currently looking into getting a tummy tuck but I'll have to save up for a loooong time to get it. Around here it goes for about $10K plus about two weeks off work.
I have lost all the pregnancy weight after three c sections and otherwise look great. But since I was very thin pre PG now I look like someone who's lost a lot of weight and left with skin hanging. It's gross and makes me sad sometimes. My DH says it doesn't bother him since he knows that our babies lived in there
But it bothers me. My clothes don't fit right and whenever I wear something form fitting I have to wear girdle and you can still see the pooch. The worst part is some dumb guy at the post office asked me when I was due a couple of months ago My youngest baby is now 8

Anyone here had a tummy tuck? If so what has been your experience?

Old 09-08-2010, 03:37 PM

What a jerk that guy was? Did you beat him up LOL. I would imagine the recovery from a tummy tuck is not much worse than a c-section.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:13 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,148,973 times
Yeah, ummm what kind of an A- ho#e asks a woman when she's due?? I gave him a piercing look and said "8 years ago". Idiot.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:04 PM

494 posts, read 890,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The reason the muscles are not the same is the 3 babies! I knew an obstetrician once who compared a mom's abdomen after childbearing to pantyhose --- they never are the same once they've been worn once!.
Maybe for some. Personally, my abs are fantastic and I've had two kids. I'm quite happy to wear a bikini next to women 20+ years my junior because I look good. But you can't just sit around eating bonbons and expect to look svelte. You have to at least work for it a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness