Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 02:30 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,489,930 times

Advertisements

You know, where your heart "flutters" or "skips a beat"? I get them sometimes...it lasts for about 5 seconds or so...but they're scary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 07:32 PM

49 posts, read 272,358 times
I get them in spurts. I can go a week or so with maybe just one or two. Then some weeks I can have them 10-20 times a day. I know stress brings them on. Also caffeine will bring them on. It is weird but sometimes exercise brings mine on as well. They are very scary. One time I had them every few minutes and I went to the hospital. They did the EKG and said it was the Heart Palpitations and gave me some xanax and sent me home. They helped me calm down and they went away.

I have been battling Crohn's Disease and winning! I have to watch what I eat as this also gets the HP's going when I eat certain foods! Red Meat will get them going quickly for me!

I wonder if they will ever totally go away. I doubt it!

Old 06-26-2007, 07:35 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,710 times
I get that along with pressure in my chest right before I have a panic attack...

When I was pregnant I had that problem when I took the one and only medication they would allow for treatment of a cold...they told me to never take anything with Pseudoephedrine in it again.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:37 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,245 times
Usually more common in women, conduction system just a little off, so that we are more susceptible to things like alcohol, caffeine, heat/cold, meds, electrolyte imbalance, glucose imbalance, stress, lack of sleep, etc. I get them occasionally due to lack of sleep, too much coffee, and stress on top of it! Usually not a serious problem, sometimes medication can help get your heart rhythm back on track. But mainly AVOID all of the above!

Old 06-26-2007, 07:40 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,574 times
I've had this for years! Freaks me out. I try to cough to get it back to normal, which sometimes works actually. I've had a few EKGs done and they were fine...Still don't like it!

Old 06-26-2007, 07:41 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,223,627 times
I get them quite often and have for many years. They are very scary; I used to panic with them, but I've come to the conclusion after all this time that they're not going to kill me.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:42 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,245 times
Sometimes you have to get your doctor to put an event monitor on you for 48 hours to catch them. Sneaky little devils.....

Old 12-11-2008, 11:31 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,055,357 times
I get them. They are scary! Once you realize they aren't going to kill you, you feel a little better about it. I ended up in the ER almost 15 years ago. They swore I was having panic attacks. I do suffer from panic attacks, but I told them it was different. I had an echo done to find out I have pulmonic stenosis which causes a leaky valve that doesn't close properly. (congenital) I get them worse when I exercise, over exerted, or stressed. They say ppl with mitral valve prolapse get the same symptoms. Also, the cardiologist said ppl with normal hearts can get flutters. I would still bring it to your doctors attention.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:36 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,919,501 times
I get them. Started when I was pregnant with my son (over 20 years ago). I find that if I take a magnesium supplement that they almost completely go away. Might have one or two a week.

Hate 'em though, they make me cough and there's always that "missing heartbeat" during which you are waiting for your heart to start beating again. Blech.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:23 PM

330 posts, read 1,095,671 times
everyone gets them at some point or another, often exacerbated by caffeine and/or stress....usually benign. sometimes, though, it can be something a little more serious, such as atrial flutter or atrial fibrillation. just make sure you let your primary care physician know so that it's documented in your medical record....but it's usually nothing serious.

i know mine are definitely exacerbated when i drink caffeinated drinks more than usual....

another thing that can "break" the fluttering is what's called the valsalva manuveur....where you "bear down" as if having a bowel movement. if your heart continues to flutter without breaking, I'd suggest going to the emergency department....but if it's just an occassional episode of "just a few beats", i wouldn't be too concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness