U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-23-2010, 02:11 PM

9,692 posts, read 6,935,533 times

Advertisements

tober and orangish...congrats to you. keep it up!
there are some GREAT on line quit smoking forums. 2 in particular with lots of help and support without all the arguing you see here. google and you will find them. the support can really help
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 04:43 PM

406 posts, read 784,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
tober and orangish...congrats to you. keep it up!
there are some GREAT on line quit smoking forums. 2 in particular with lots of help and support without all the arguing you see here. google and you will find them. the support can really help

I would have loved this place to be a good place for people to get support but unfortunatly this is the type of place people are gonna come on your thread just to debate what you have to say and be confrontational rather than just moving on if they dont have nothin good to say.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:49 PM

[quote=Drover;15569166]But that's not what you said. You said nicotine causes these deaths, not cigarettes. Nicotine and cigarettes are not interchangeable. There are several other delivery methods for nicotine besides smoking.

Additionally, this is an open forum. You don't get to dictate who posts or the terms by which they do. If you post factual information that is wildly inaccurate, you should expect that you are going to get corrected.

I quit smoking 16 years ago. I'm sorry you're one of those people who can't have a civil conversation without being condescending and making false assumptions about others, and I'm sorry that you expect to be able to make extremely inaccurate claims

The reason I say NICOTINE is because It is just not ciggeretts that cause the cancer and other health problems. It is ALSO snuff, dip, ciggars, pipes etc. These also contribute. You can research it for yourself all of the facts and statistics are what they are. The only way nicotine may be debatible to the health is BEFORE it ever gets to the hands of man and its growing natural and you just pick it out of the ground and smoke it!! Even though this may not be harmfull it does produe the natural chemical which is the nicotine which is used as a natural defence to keep bugs from eating the plant and is highly addictive on its own to humans. (despite arguing rather or not it is harmful at that point in time or not). But the point is, by the time it gets to us no matter what form it comes in IT PRODUCES CANCER. it's loaded with the same stuff they put in rat poison, in pesticides, in floor cleaners, in fingernail polish in batteries etc!! Go to cancer.org or health.org or any similar websites and the FACTS will be there! although in its very natural state, I can see, and agree with what you are saying. But after that... NO.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
you used to be one of those smokers

YES I WAS ONE OF THOSE SMOKERS!!! I dont deny that. but I WISENED UP! I researched what it can do to you. And i dont want to die of cancer, DO YOU? Just because I USE to drink as well doesnt mean IT would have been a smart thing for me to keep doing. Just because I use to hang around the WRONG CROWD, doesnt mean you should keep doing it!! What kinda sence does your comment make. If you LEARN that something is harmful for you. And dont get it construed, SMOKING is VERY HARMFUL. You better yourself and you QUIT. this prolongs your life and makes you a healthier person. What does USE TO SMOKE have to do with anything! I WAS stupid for smoking!!!!!!!! And drinking!!!!! and any other stupid thing people do out there.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
As others have said - these statements are false. Nicotine, in and of itself, is not a terribly dangerous substance. It is quite addictive, and is one of the main reasons that smoking is such a hard habit to break. However, the heath risks posed by smoking are from the countless carcinogens present in cigarettes, not from the nicotine (which, by the way, is a naturally occurring substance found in tomatoes and egg plant).

Um...no...you are incorrect. Here is a bit of basic information for you:
Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Such hostility. Not exactly the appropriate temperament for a "support" thread.

Smoke free for about 6 weeks now.

Well congratulations, I'm proud for you. It's just I hoped this would be a "support" group. To lift up eachother up not criticize or be confrontational. Not to prove points or attempt discredit others. BTW. Wikipedia is NOT a reliable source (since anybody can change the information).

Old 08-23-2010, 05:50 PM

484 posts, read 536,913 times
I quit 3 years ago with the help of Chantix and a website called stopsmokingcenter dot net

Old 08-23-2010, 07:56 PM

4,614 posts, read 5,091,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Well congratulations, I'm proud for you. It's just I hoped this would be a "support" group. To lift up eachother up not criticize or be confrontational. Not to prove points or attempt discredit others. BTW. Wikipedia is NOT a reliable source (since anybody can change the information).
No one is saying they don't want to be supportive of people who want to quit smoking. It is hard to do, I am glad I could do it and I am happy to support anyone else in that effort.

However, I think all people are saying is that information posted in such a thread should be factual. You made a factual error in your one post and people corrected you. I really do not understand why you are getting all bent out of shape because someone pointed out a mistake. No one is trying to "discredit" you - just pointing out that you posted some incorrect information (which you did, accept it and move on).

I seriously doubt that people are manipulating the Wikipedia entry on "nicotine". I just provided that as a basic, relatively non-scientific link for whoever cared to look. As someone who works in medical research, and who has published articles on addictive behaviors (including smoking) in scientific journals, I can vouch that this current entry in Wikipedia is correct.

But if you would like to read something with a bit more scientific merit, you could try this:
Dissecting the Chemistry of Nicotinic Receptor-Ligand Interactions with Infrared Difference Spectroscopy

Old 08-23-2010, 08:52 PM

5,536 posts, read 10,413,095 times
I received my e-cigarette Friday at 1:30pm; by 4pm I was vaping and not smoking...I had 2 cigarettes on Saturday and 1 on Sunday and today (so far). If you can't seem to ditch the habit give it a try; it works for me.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
No one is saying they don't want to be supportive of people who want to quit smoking. It is hard to do, I am glad I could do it and I am happy to support anyone else in that effort.

However, I think all people are saying is that information posted in such a thread should be factual. You made a factual error in your one post and people corrected you. I really do not understand why you are getting all bent out of shape because someone pointed out a mistake. No one is trying to "discredit" you - just pointing out that you posted some incorrect information (which you did, accept it and move on).

I seriously doubt that people are manipulating the Wikipedia entry on "nicotine". I just provided that as a basic, relatively non-scientific link for whoever cared to look. As someone who works in medical research, and who has published articles on addictive behaviors (including smoking) in scientific journals, I can vouch that this current entry in Wikipedia is correct.

But if you would like to read something with a bit more scientific merit, you could try this:
Dissecting the Chemistry of Nicotinic Receptor-Ligand Interactions with Infrared Difference Spectroscopy

OK, so maby I should have said all forms of TOBACCO no matter how you "use" it is dangerouse and harmful to the human body. The NICOTINE simply is the stuff that the plant naturally produces and is ONE of the many things that are latter ADDED that make them addictive... Point in fact is simply, rather it's the tobacco, the nicotine or some other item. WHATEVER it is thats inside the tobacco that people, chew, snuff, puff or whateve the case may be is toxic. Who really cares what the correct term is for what's in the stuff thats killing us. the BIGGER picture is ITS KILLING US!! lol (because i'm not trying to be technical or scientific, dont care if my information aint the clearest or the most accurate as long as the word gets out there). I will be the message to people that its time to drop the #1 PREVENTABLE cause of death, what kills 500,000 people EVERY YEAR. And that is CIGGERETTS, CHEW, DIP, PIPES (ALL OF IT) basically, tobacco in any form. (And I dont mean straight from the ground type of tobacco either), I mean the kind people buy in stores.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:06 PM

And I can get these statistics off of numerouse "QUITSMOKING.ORG" webesites as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness