U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-21-2010, 01:53 PM

406 posts, read 756,688 times
Default Quit Smoking Support

The smoking cessation is one of the hardest things you will do in your life, I can say this because it has been almost two years since the day I got up the strength to finally quit. Its the best decision I could have made for my health by far. I created this Thread for people looking to quit or who have already made that decision. This is a place to share your stories and give your support, a place to make a difference. Please, only people who are seriouse in quitting or helping others quit. Let this be a support group.

1) Nicotine is the #1 preventable cause of death in the United States
2) Nicotine kills 1:5 people
3) Nicotine kills approximately 500,000 people every year
4) Tobacco smoke contains over 4000 different chemicals.
5) At least 50 are known to cause cancer in humans
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 02:09 PM

35,934 posts, read 55,456,812 times
Nicotine doesn't do all that; nicotine is not a carcinogen. Nicotine itself is relatively benign in non-toxic doses. The only notable health concern other than chemical dependency is that it may contribute to constriction of the arteries. Even on that point the medical community isn't clear on the degree to which it does.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:27 PM

WRONG. There is proof that ciggeretts cause cancer, that ciggeretts account for an estimated 500,000 yearly, that they take time off of your life, that the ciggeretts that you buy and smoke not only causes chemical dependancy but has killed many people!! Like I asked in my post. If you are not joining the post to "SUPPORT" or to tell your story then PLEASE DO NOT POST. We do not need this here

Old 08-21-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Nicotine doesn't do all that; nicotine is not a carcinogen. Nicotine itself is relatively benign in non-toxic doses. The only notable health concern other than chemical dependency is that it may contribute to constriction of the arteries. Even on that point the medical community isn't clear on the degree to which it does.

Nicotine DOES do all that!!! I'm sorry you are one of these SMOKERS walking around with blinders on cause you refuse to beleive the facts. I'm not here to debate, if you disagree im sorry but like i said, please keep this post for people who are seriouse about the matter.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:26 PM

35,934 posts, read 55,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
WRONG. There is proof that ciggeretts cause cancer, that ciggeretts account for an estimated 500,000 yearly, that they take time off of your life, that the ciggeretts that you buy and smoke not only causes chemical dependancy but has killed many people!! Like I asked in my post. If you are not joining the post to "SUPPORT" or to tell your story then PLEASE DO NOT POST. We do not need this here
But that's not what you said. You said nicotine causes these deaths, not cigarettes. Nicotine and cigarettes are not interchangeable. There are several other delivery methods for nicotine besides smoking.

Additionally, this is an open forum. You don't get to dictate who posts or the terms by which they do. If you post factual information that is wildly inaccurate, you should expect that you are going to get corrected.

Quote:
Nicotine DOES do all that!!! I'm sorry you are one of these SMOKERS walking around with blinders on cause you refuse to beleive the facts. I'm not here to debate, if you disagree im sorry but like i said, please keep this post for people who are seriouse about the matter.
I quit smoking 16 years ago. I'm sorry you're one of those people who can't have a civil conversation without being condescending and making false assumptions about others, and I'm sorry that you expect to be able to make extremely inaccurate claims and get away with them. Well actually, no I'm not.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:33 PM

9,400 posts, read 7,529,461 times
Quote:
you used to be one of those smokers

Old 08-21-2010, 11:05 PM

23,708 posts, read 15,603,375 times
I was a smoker for 21 years before I stopped I was doing three packs a day. I always thought that I needed that cigarette and that I enjoyed it. I’ve now been a non-smoker for (surprise) 21 years, and LOVE every minute of being away from them.

Stopping was not difficult after the first week. However the first day was tough but each day was easier. In my case I was able to “change” habits and “restricted” having access to them. I couldn’t buy a pack all day long nor could I get to one. This was very helpful for three days on the road driving and not being able to just stop to buy them.

I would tell myself “if you need and want that cigarette, you can have it but you have to wait 30 minutes”. Well the time would pass and I wouldn’t smoke. Each time I had a craving for one, I’d repeat the same comment and hold off till later. Later came and I wasn’t smoking.

Avoid doing the same things that you did when you smoked. Things like coffee for example. Change your drink to tea instead. If you drink coke, change it to Dr Pepper. Trick your brain into the “new you” and you’ll have an easier time quitting.

As I said, I started with a few cigarettes in the beginning and ended up at 3 packs a day most of the time. Simple math will help with this. Twenty one years times 365 days will equal 7,665 days or 7,665 packs minimum at today’s prices of $5 a pack will bring the cost of smoking to $38,325. That’s a lot of bucks going up in smoke!

Yeah,,, a pack of cigarettes in the beginning wasn’t $5 a pack but I figure that’s a good average over the years because I’d smoke more then one pack a day and ended up with three going up in smoke. So it averages out.

Another trick if you want to stop smoking. Just put each day the amount of money you would have spent on buying cigarettes into a jar or coffee can. Save it and when you think you want a cigarette look into the jar and see what you’ve already saved in money.

Also remember to let your insurance company know you are not a smoke any longer and don’t forget your “auto” policy too. Yep,,,, your rates will be less for driving if you don’t smoke. Not all company will discount this but most or some will. Yet another savings you can bank.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:16 PM

23,708 posts, read 15,603,375 times
Oh,,, I stopped cold turkey after all that time. I always looked at myself as an alcoholic who couldn’t take just one drink,,,, I couldn’t have just one cigarette!

Another important tip,,,,, avoid sugar. Sugar in your system will stimulate the craving for nicotine. Eat sunflower seeds, they help your system reject the want for a cigarette. Also the sunflower seeds are good and healthy for your body. Keep your fingers busy, hold a pencil between your fingers just like you did with the cigarette. If you smoked when you got a phone call and sat there at the desk, then get up and stand while talking on the phone. Your mind will not connect smoking and sitting down while talking on the phone. It helps.

Think of how much better your clothing will smell without the tobacco odor in them! It’s amazing how bad tobacco odor is. I would smoke at the kitchen table and drink coffee most nights back then. When I quit smoking I washed the walls in the kitchen and living room. Wow were they every yellowed from the smoke! Ugly,,,,, but after cleaning the walls, the smell in the room disappeared. You might want to clean the carpet as well if you have one in the area. A few weeks after smoking, you will not want to wear any of your clothing that wasn’t washed first. Get the smoke odor out of them before you enjoy dressing up and going out again.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:09 PM

4,593 posts, read 4,906,363 times
Quote:

1) Nicotine is the #1 preventable cause of death in the United States
2) Nicotine kills 1:5 people
3) Nicotine kills approximately 500,000 people every year
As others have said - these statements are false. Nicotine, in and of itself, is not a terribly dangerous substance. It is quite addictive, and is one of the main reasons that smoking is such a hard habit to break. However, the heath risks posed by smoking are from the countless carcinogens present in cigarettes, not from the nicotine (which, by the way, is a naturally occurring substance found in tomatoes and egg plant).

Quote:
Nicotine DOES do all that!!!
Um...no...you are incorrect. Here is a bit of basic information for you:
Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
I'm sorry you are one of these SMOKERS walking around with blinders on cause you refuse to beleive the facts.
Such hostility. Not exactly the appropriate temperament for a "support" thread.

Smoke free for about 6 weeks now.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:55 PM

5,285 posts, read 3,902,418 times
Heh, this thread got off on the wrong foot, eh?

I smoked for 7 years lightly, been smoke free for 23 days. Not much, I know, but I feel pretty confident going forward. I'm repping all the quitters in this thread as it's nice to read all your stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness