Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 02:30 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,331 times

Advertisements

This information can be found in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel (on line). One of the feature cover stories just recently was in regards to the truth finally coming out, in the mainstream, about aspartame. The mainstream media is finally covering a "real story" (sorry Hollywood junkies) and telling everyone something that the majority of the American sub-culture has known for a while. In short, aspartame (Nutrasweet) is a dangerous nerve agent, disguised as a sugar-free sweetener.

From the link included at the bottom of this post, a few of the 90 different documented symptoms listed in the report as being caused by aspartame include: Headaches/migraines, dizziness, seizures, nausea, numbness, muscle spasms, weight gain, rashes, depression, fatigue, irritability, tachycardia, insomnia, vision problems, hearing loss, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, loss of taste, tinnitus, vertigo, memory loss, and joint pain.

Uh huh, the American public was sold on the notion that this product assisted in diet related products. Can anyone truly trust the FDA and mainstream media in their government-sponsored collusion and lies? The track record of the FDA approvals and retractions, over the past ten years, is appalling. FDA could be redefined as Forget Dying Americans....**This could be a whole other topic**.

Read for yourself....

JS Online: Study reignites debate on sweetener's safety

Dangers of Aspartame - What You Don't Know Can Hurt You

Splenda
is another poison...

THE LETHAL SCIENCE OF SPLENDA, A POISONOUS CHLOROCARBON

Splenda (Sucralose) Toxicity Exposed

http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/3/sucralose_dangers.htm (broken link)

The Potential Dangers of Sucralose: Reader Testimonials

I am in no way an alarmist or one to jump on conspiracy theories. But I strongly believe that Splenda is fatal if used over a period of time.
I had many of the symptoms listed that faded away after I stopped using Splenda and Aspartame.

In short, I'd recommend something organic, like sugar cane (Sugar In The Raw) or an herb known as Stevia, which comes in a liquid or powdered form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 02:45 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
Great post! I've known this for a long time. Refined sugar is also very bad for you, but the lesser of the two evils.

When I mention aspartame to people while they guzzle down their diet drinks, they look at me like I'm nuts.

I use fructose and until I hear differently about it, I'll continue with it. At least it's natural and hopefully, not another poison out there.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:20 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
I feel like I'm reading something from the past. I knew this for a very long time. I stopped ALL sweetners, including Splenda (which I never liked anyway). I just drink water only now.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I feel like I'm reading something from the past. I knew this for a very long time. I stopped ALL sweetners, including Splenda (which I never liked anyway). I just drink water only now.
Good for you. I only drink water as well except for three cups of coffee a day hence, the need for fructose. I'm going to try to give up that habit this summer. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

You know, it really is pretty much from the past regarding the aspartame, but you'd be surprised how many people haven't a clue about its danger.

Last edited by Jammie; 06-25-2007 at 09:55 PM..

Old 06-25-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
You know, it really is pretty much from the past regarding the aspartame, but you'd be surprised how many people haven't a clue about its danger.

Exactly.

American sub-culture has known about this for awhile. The mainstream media is finally reporting about it now.
I hope people have clicked on the links I provided. It's an eye opener.

Please don't use artificial anything if you want to stay in good health. Water infused with lemon tastes great, esp. when you are thirsty. It does the job better, and won't cause you to gain the dreaded belly fat!

Old 06-25-2007, 08:43 PM

938 posts, read 2,897,830 times
I personally don't buy it just yet. It's easy for people not familiar with medicine and criticism of medical journals to go off of these types of interim reports and take them as gospel. A perfect example is the Avandia scare from last month. After looking at the evidence, is became quite clear that the media simply overreacted to a study that itself noted that its power was quite limited. In this case the study is limited by the fact that they are comparing the rat model to the human model. Past tests with rats have shown that aspartame didn't become carcinogenic unless you fed them an amount that is literally impossible for a person to consume in a day. I'd like to read the study myself. All that was posted was a news article; and we all know what the media does...sensationalize everything. That's not to say I'd react to the study one way or the other, though. However, a recent trial including over 400,000 subjects trying to link aspartame to brain or blood cancers indicated rather strongly that they in fact did not.

Last edited by WVUPharm2007; 06-25-2007 at 08:59 PM..

Old 06-25-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
It's easy for people not familiar with medicine and criticism of medical journals to go off of these types of interim reports and take them as gospel.
All that was posted was a news article; and we all know what the media does...sensationalize everything.

I understand the above take on it and agree that (some) media rags sensationalize certain things. However, I wouldn't go as far as saying everything though.

Myself as a consumer, and after having severe reactions to both Splenda and Aspartame, I certainly don't need a medical background to figure out...."gee, maybe I should stop using this stuff".

Besides that, Splenda and Aspartame have absolutely no nutritional value and IMO, too many negatives.

I'll stick with what's working for me.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:51 PM

938 posts, read 2,897,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
I understand the above take on it and agree that (some) media rags sensationalize certain things. However, I wouldn't go as far as saying everything though.

Myself as a consumer, and after having severe reactions to both Splenda and Aspartame, I certainly don't need a medical background to figure out...."gee, maybe I should stop using this stuff".
Which is the best course of action, of course. Negative symptoms should obviously affect what you take. But I was referencing reading medical journals when I meant being a medical professional. There is a lot of statistical mumbo-jumbo and other annoying things that go into criticizing a study and measuring its utility in practice. In that sense, I cannot say that aspartame is some horrible substance that will kill you because the evidence clearly does not point in that direction. Your reaction to Splenda and aspartame is your personal reaction to the substance, not everybody will react the same. I consume Splenda and aspartame all the time...never had an adverse effect.

Quote:
Besides that, Splenda and Aspartame have absolutely no nutritional value and IMO, too many negatives.

I'll stick with what's working for me.
Good. The truth is that people should just eat nothing but what is on that little food pyramid. Too much of anything is bad for you. However, many people with diabetes and those with major cravings for sweet things really do benefit from Splenda and aspartame.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:54 PM

Aspartame has had a bad name for many, many years. I first read about the dangers of it over 13 years ago when I purchased a nutritional book. "Not buying it just yet" is not comprehensible to me since it has been known now for a long time about its ill effects. I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole, reaction or no reaction.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:59 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Good for you. I only drink water as well except for three cups of coffee a day hence, the need for fructose. I'm going to try to give up that habit this summer. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Sorry, I wanted to hit on "Quote" but mistakenly clicked on "Edit". But I actually had nothing to edit. My question is~where do you buy fructose and what is it actually called? (Brand name or label) I've read that it's healthier then plain sugar, but as good because it's natural like it is in fruits. I really love my sugar and I've tried to drink diet pop or other diet drinks, but I can't stand them and I also get awful tummy aches from them. The newer one~Splenda is just as bad as the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness