Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:16 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

I'm not a believer in using a product that looks like a cigarette,smokes like a cigarette and use it to try to give up smoking.
I wish the man the best of luck with it but let us know in 6 months how it worked,
i tried it with an electronic cigarillo, had a vapor system that looked like real smoke, had an led light on the end to make it look like it was alight, didnt work
what did eventually work was using the Nicorette lozenge for 6 months. Havent smoked for almost a year now..
http://media.well.ca/images/large/products/nicorette-lozenges_1250002769_LRG.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 02:01 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,938 times
I first bought the e-cig at the smoke shop where I got my cigarettes from and took them to work with me on the boat I work on. I was on the boat for 28 days with these and I had NO problem cutting from 1 pack a day down to only 4 regular smokes a day. I was SO excited.. I had found my way to quit smoking. I felt so much better using those that it was wonderful!

Soon as I got home, I went right to the cigarette store to stock up.. only they didn't have the kind I had before so I bought what they had. Those were the biggest disappointment I ever had in my life. I never have got them to work, no matter what I do. The distributer that sold them to the store called me several times trying to talk me through how to get it to work and everything he told me to do did not work... Those were the 510's. The ones that worked so good were called "super Cigs" and I have looked for those ever since.

Maybe they have improved on the 510's since then. I want to go back to the e-cigs.. Even if I do those the rest of my life, they ARE better than the tobacco ones. I just would like to know which sights you have ordered them from, what kind of guarantee they have, if you ever had any problems and how they were resolved and how long does it take to get them..

I have looked online at them and have noticed the ones in China are by far cheaper than the ones in the USA.. Any thoughts on that? (In the meantime I will be checking out the sights already posted.)

Old 08-24-2010, 03:31 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm not a believer in using a product that looks like a cigarette,smokes like a cigarette and use it to try to give up smoking.
I wish the man the best of luck with it but let us know in 6 months how it worked,
i tried it with an electronic cigarillo, had a vapor system that looked like real smoke, had an led light on the end to make it look like it was alight, didnt work
what did eventually work was using the Nicorette lozenge for 6 months. Havent smoked for almost a year now..
That's awesome that you were able to quit and stay quit!

Again, I think it comes down to the simple fact that what works well for one person may not work well for another. In my case: I tried the patch and it made me nauseous. I tried the gum and it just did not work. For me, I tended to smoke much more in social situations - so I think what helped me was that psychological factor of having something in my hand when I was out having a drink (chewing on gum in that situation just failed miserably for me). Or being able to reach for an e-cig instead of a snack to deal with the whole hand-to-mouth thing that so many smokers find they deal with when quitting. But that's just me.

Personally - I have been off cigs for about 6 weeks with an e-cig (I have had a few slips here and there, but I'm a former PAD smoker who has had maybe the equivalent one pack over the past 3 weeks - so that's progress as far as I am concerned). Shortly, step 2 for me will be starting to gradually reduce the nicotine level in my e-cig. I know others who have been off of real cigs for several months and some over a year at this point due to their experience with this route.

Smoking is a tough habit to break - so if anyone who wants to quit can (by any method from cold turkey to lozenges to an e-cig) - that's a great thing.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:42 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Laura - I sent you a PM with the site I have generally ordered from. In general, you can get a "starter kit" for most of the various models for around $50-$60 here in the States - in the end, I do not think you'd save much (if at all) ordering direct from China. Note that most kits sold in an actual store (or mall kiosk) tend to be highly marked up in terms of price.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
That's awesome that you were able to quit and stay quit!

Again, I think it comes down to the simple fact that what works well for one person may not work well for another. In my case: I tried the patch and it made me nauseous. I tried the gum and it just did not work. For me, I tended to smoke much more in social situations -
It certainly didnt come easy and was the culmination of a dozen or more serious attempts to quit,i'd tried the patch,the gums,the Champix, the E cigs but it really came down to realizing the stuff is slowly killing me, Several factors came together at the same time to give me my wake up call
1 burning sensation in the mouth
2 shortness of breath
3 that will be $10 please
I think the first $10 pack really did it for me,motivation wise
I tried the Lozenges (4mg) as the gum doesnt work if you have dentures and the patch doesnt work if you need a buzz.
Gave up the Lozenges around this past Easter and have been smoke free since last September and Nicotine free for several months.
In my past attempts to give up smoking i learned the importance of not having that single casual cigarette as it leads to epic fail, may as well go buy a carton, that single cigarette is going to cost you at least $10 a day until you get it together again to try to quit,If its a year then $3650 per year is a mighty expensive single cigarette if it takes you that long to try and stop again.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:20 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
If you want to quit smoking, just quit.

If, however, you still like to smoke, I'd recommend rolling your own. Tops brand makes a very simple to use rolling machine which retails for about 70 bucks and with it, you can roll a pack in about 5 minutes.

Personally, I use a brand called The Good Stuff Natural, which is just pure tobacco with no additives, and Zen brand light filter tubes. Total cost where I live? $14 a carton.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:24 PM

773 posts, read 1,939,203 times
I'm just trying to cut my expenses some. If I can get a similar effect with the e-cig and smoke inside places, why not.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:55 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
If you want to quit smoking, just quit.

If, however, you still like to smoke, I'd recommend rolling your own. Tops brand makes a very simple to use rolling machine which retails for about 70 bucks and with it, you can roll a pack in about 5 minutes.

Personally, I use a brand called The Good Stuff Natural, which is just pure tobacco with no additives, and Zen brand light filter tubes. Total cost where I live? $14 a carton.
I've been rolling the same thing but light or ultra light mostly. If you aren't ordering from WA send me a PM if you want the best price going. I'm tired of the rolling process...and I really find the smoke unappealing now. I can tell the difference between my ryo cigarette smoke and a manufactured cigarette's smoke (hubby still smokes them) and those are worse since FSC came out. There is a distinct difference between cig smoke vs vapor smoke and to me, vapor smoke isn't disgusting like cig smoke; not at all.

Within the first day or two I actually proceeded to grab my lighter and bring it to my e-cig and I realized this is an action I missed in the process. I have smoked 6 cigarettes since Saturday; not bad after being a 2-pack/day smoker for years.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I have smoked 6 cigarettes since Saturday; not bad after being a 2-pack/day smoker for years.

Great effort, keep at it, you've got the monkey by the throat, terminate with extreme prejudice..

Old 08-25-2010, 04:37 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,451 times
I have a question - how do you then stop the e-cigs? Don't you get addicted to that as well? Also the lozenges too. My husband and I want to quit and both of these are contenders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness