Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:07 PM

773 posts, read 1,939,203 times

Advertisements

A guy I work with, said his dad has been using this system for a while and it is suppose to work. Anyone using this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 08:26 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
A guy I work with, said his dad has been using this system for a while and it is suppose to work. Anyone using this?
I have used e-cigarettes to effectively quit smoking cigarettes, as have many others.

However, with just a quick look at the Smart Smoke website, I can tell you that if you buy this product from them, you are getting ripped off. Their "Insight Signature Kit" is a model of e-cig known as a 510; their price for this kit is $169.95. You can go to numerous other sites and order this exact same "kit" for about $50-$60. In fact, their markup on everything on their site seems to be very high.

If you are interested in e-cigs, I would suggest pointing your browser over to this link, which is a pretty comprehensive FAQ on these devices. Start with the first topic on the page (An Illustrated guide to E-cigs) and read on through:
The ECF Library - E-Cigarette Forum

Old 08-23-2010, 09:06 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
That guy's dad is getting ripped big time. There ought to be a law but sadly there really isn't.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:09 PM

I don't know that he is getting ripped off, a carton of cig's, here in Washington State is almost 80.00. As I understand it, after you buy the kit, you only buy the chemicals from then on. I smoke a carton a week, so even if it was only 200.00 a month for this, it would be worth it. But I'm trying to find out if anyone else is using this system and what they think of it.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:48 AM

We are telling you we are using systems similar to and much cheaper than what he is using. While I agree with the figures you are throwing out...it is better to save more and he can save more. Give him the link above that Tober138 left. That is where I started my quest to e-cigs. E-cigs are all basically the same only with different names. If you are asking for yourself, don't waste your time on smart smoke...all e-cigs are smart smoke.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I don't know that he is getting ripped off, a carton of cig's, here in Washington State is almost 80.00. As I understand it, after you buy the kit, you only buy the chemicals from then on. I smoke a carton a week, so even if it was only 200.00 a month for this, it would be worth it. But I'm trying to find out if anyone else is using this system and what they think of it.
Well...if you want to buy a starter kit for a 510 model of electronic cigarette (or their other model, which appears to be a KR-808) - you can go to this website and spend $170, or you can go to dozens of other reputable sites and buy it for one third of that cost. Just sayin.... And with that, their juice (e-nic) is also HIGHLY overpriced: $34.95 for a 15ml bottle is insane. There are many companies that sell juice for e-cigs at less than half of that cost. I generally buy a 50ml bottle (which lasts me about a month) for $22.

I am also using a 510 model of e-cig (exact same model as their "Insight" - it is just their brand name on a generic product - their "system" is not anything special) and it is working very well for me. I went from a pack a day to 2-3 per day within less than a week, and stopped smoking regular cigs completely shortly after that. I think its great - I just think its silly to spend an overinflated amount when you do not have to.

Once again, check the link I posted earlier. It will explain everything about e-cigs. And the forum is full of a lot of knowledgeable (and very helpful) people who can answer any question you might have.

MYRC60 - I looked at their site again, they run their operation out of several mall kiosks in the Seattle area. And I think you and I both know how rediculously overpriced those little stands are.

Last edited by Tober138; 08-24-2010 at 08:06 AM..

Old 08-24-2010, 09:46 AM

Thanks everyone. I didn't know you were all using the products you were talking about. I just don't want to spend money on something that won't work. Since you all are using the e-cig's, I'll look into them.

I smoke kools, so is it better to buy the flavored nic or the nic without flavor and just add? Also, I see there are three different levels of nic, which would be best/closest to the real thing?

Old 08-24-2010, 10:07 AM

If you are smoking kool regulars I'd suggest a high nic level. Some places highest is 24mg and other 36mg. You might want to start with at least one of both to find your ideal point. If 36 is too high you can mix it with 24 and if you do a 50/50 mix your nic level would come down to 30. I smoked Marlboro Lights 100's and initially thought 24mg was too high but I am now reconsidering that decision. I've been doing this since Friday so I'm still doing trial and error here. With all of the flavors available you might find you can do away with the menthol. Good luck. I'm trying to figure out which flavors to order next.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
MYRC60 - I looked at their site again, they run their operation out of several mall kiosks in the Seattle area. And I think you and I both know how rediculously overpriced those little stands are.
I had my first hit off an e-cig at the local mall where I live. It was weird...I had not had a cigarette for a few hours and that drag made me a little loopy. But it was enough to know I wasn't wasting my time and money on something I'd soon give up on. The basic package at that kiosk was $150 and I'm sure I got just as much in the package I bought for $35.

Tober138 do you use same handle on ECF? I do. See you there!

OP, if you are a heavy smoker, 1-2 packs/day or more, consider the Joye eGo batteries. My initial purchase was the Joye 510 and while I am happy with it I am charging batteries every few hours. The eGo has a longer life than the 510 batteries. I'm waiting for an eGo battery I ordered yesterday; but you have to order the eGo charger too.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I didn't know you were all using the products you were talking about. I just don't want to spend money on something that won't work. Since you all are using the e-cig's, I'll look into them.

I smoke kools, so is it better to buy the flavored nic or the nic without flavor and just add? Also, I see there are three different levels of nic, which would be best/closest to the real thing?
Ask on the e-cig forum and you will get a lot of answers. For me personally:

I smoked Marlboro menthols (PAD). I tried a few varieties of menthol juice from a few different vendors. They were ok at first, but then I started exploring a bit. What I actually vape is now primarily cherry flavored (with a bit of menthol crystals dissolved in it). I get my juice pre-mixed, so I'm not adding flavor, so I cannot comment on that. As to the nic level, you can get juice with anywhere from 0 mg to 36mg. I smoked a pack a day and started with 18mg and that seemed to work well for me - but people seem to be different with what works for them, especially out of the gate. Some need a higher level, some find that what they started with is too strong.

My recommendation is to get a few different bottles of e-juice (different strengths, varieties, etc. (not all menthols taste the same) and try them out. It will probably take a bit of experimentation to find what works for you. Many of e-juice vendors provide small (5ml) bottles, and a number of them offer "sample packs" where you can get several such bottles for a reasonable price. Once you find one (or more) that do the trick (i.e. you like the taste and you are keeping your cig cravings at bay) then you can go from there.

I will also add this - although e-cigs are not marketed as a smoking cessation device (there is not enough clinical data to allow them to be marketed as such), they have worked in that capacity for a lot of people. But it seems that, for most who have used these to quit cigs, they also had a strong motivation to quit to begin with. Vaping is a little different than smoking, and it may take a little time to get used to it. But in order for them to really work, you need to be motivated to quit the analogs.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Tober138 do you use same handle on ECF? I do. See you there!
Yes I do. See ya there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness