Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:33 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,821,410 times

Advertisements

We have a TempurPedic bed, but it doesn't matter what kind of bed, I always wake up with pain on my right side. My ribs on that side feel it the most, and the culprit seems to be a small area (muscle) in my back near the center. Does anyone have any ideas or experiences as to why sleeping on my back is causing this? (I do roll over on either side occasionally, but on my back is most comfortable). I see a chiropractor and her adjustments have no effect on this morning pain. It always subsides after about an hour. I really don't understand why a softer bed that gives would cause such a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 10:16 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Maybe you are starting to get arthritis in your back? did it just start? Are you hunching over a computer all day?

Old 09-04-2010, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 42,821 times
we have a tempurpedic bed also, I have been waking up every morning with pain in my rib cage, I want answers the same as you. The pain subsides after an hour or two. I see many ppl are having this problem that have tempurpedic beds.. If you find any answers, please let me know, my email address is [email]gingerke@yahoo.com[/email]. I'm at my wits end. I can't return the bed my 90 days have past.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:05 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,013,387 times
Whenever I sleep on my back, my fingers tingle and go numb, I even changed mattress's, same thing.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:28 AM

wow, thanks for all the replies. I'll have to ask my chiro about it but I know there's no quick fix. I used to hunch over a computer all day, but this has been going on for years, even when I'm unemployed. I don't want to say the TempurPedic started it, but it's been getting worse since we bought it (4 or 5 yrs ago). I also have the problem with any other kind of bed though, usually it's worse I think. Maybe for some people laying on their back is not good.

Gingerke I will hang on to your email and let you know if I ever figure it out.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:44 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Are you sure it isn't spasms?

Old 09-09-2010, 06:22 AM

a spasm to me means it comes and goes, but even if it is a spasm, I want to know how to stop it. I guess the awful truth could just be that the way my spine has settled over the years is affected by laying on my back for hours. I don't know if acupuncture would help.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:04 PM

2 posts, read 51,773 times
NJDevil,

Seems like an excellent question...

As I had to guess, it is either your mattress or your sleeping posture. Try to correlate when the symptoms started (did it start on or around the time you got the mattress?). It seems when you alter your sleeping posture, symptoms are improved? Try sleeping with a pillow between your knees while in sidelying.

How long have you had chiropractic treatment? Could also be the chiropractor too...too many or too much adjustments perhaps. May have accidentally created a problem with a costo-vertebral joint and now presents with "rib" pain when increased pressure is applied (just thinking out load).

Take a few moments to re-evaluate

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-25-2012 at 01:31 PM..

Old 11-25-2012, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 37,175 times
In purchased my tempourpedic mattress and my ribs/back would hurt in the morning, plus I woke up with my arms going numb. Ended up atuffing my expensive mattress in the guest bedroom amd I have now switched to a hard latex mattress from Ikea and the only thing left over are my ribs hurting in the morning. Not sure what else I can do at this point. I guess will decide on next fix. Maybe a softer pad on top??
In any case, I am convinced that Tempourpedic caused all my problems in the first place.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 28,054 times
I have had the same issue with two foam beds and have never had it with a typical bed. I used to sleep on a futon and then my husband and I bought a memory foam topper for it. Immediately I'd wake up with soreness on each side of my ribs, no matter how I slept (I usually sleep on my back and sometimes move to my side). We took the foam off my side of the bed and I went back to waking up pain-free.

Now we've bought a Sealy Posturepedic Encourage, which is the second softest Sealy foam mattress. We bought it because my husband prefers a softer one to sleep comfortably on his side - he doesn’t have much fat to pad him. I thought maybe it would work because it was so comfy in the store and so much more advanced than our simple foam topper. **This was a bad decision. I’m again sore on both sides of my body until noon and, interestingly, my husband is experiencing the same thing.

Should we go for a firmer mattress? A softer mattress? A standard, non-foam mattress? We can trade ours in, but have no idea what we should trade it for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness