Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 07:46 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

I've been told to eat jello and drink goats milk to help my stomach heal. Is this true?

Thanks, John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Are you on an ulcer med? I was prescribed Carafate and Prevacid (stronger dose) when I had an ulcer.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:55 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I've been told to eat jello and drink goats milk to help my stomach heal. Is this true?

Thanks, John
I'd read up on it - Mayo Clinic has a good overview & more here. Most ulcers are caused by a bacterial infection (helicobacter pylori) and are now treated by antibiotics rather than diet.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Are you on an ulcer med? I was prescribed Carafate and Prevacid (stronger dose) when I had an ulcer.
I'm taking Nexium the purple pill once a day. It's 40mgs. I'm getting burning sharp pains around the belly button and I also have a past history of GERD problems.

Thanks, John

Old 09-07-2010, 11:42 PM

2,175 posts, read 9,168,250 times
I had a bleeding ulcer years ago and I had tests to confirm and pinpoint its exact location. It was treated with Tagamet and Maalox. I was told to eat a blan diet and drink milk insead of carbonated beverages, etc. But that was then. Anyway, the ulcer healed. Oh yeah, goats milk wasn''t mentioned. I drank regular cows milk.
Have you had clinical tests to show it is indeed an ulcer or is this a doctors guess.
My pain was farther above the navel.
Appendicitis pain usualy starts out around the umbilicus (navel) area and spreads to the right side.
Your docs treatment sounds kind of old fashioned. Ulcers are treated today with antibiotics among other things.
Ulcer pain is usualy above the navel area. If your pain persists or gets worse I would check into an ER to make sure it isn't appendicitis. That is nothing to fool around with.
I'm not a doctor, but the burning sharp pain around the navel area doesn't sound right to me from my own experience with ulcers.
Just a thought.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:00 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,168,250 times
Thanks for the rep.
If the pain starts to extend downward to the lower right quadrant of the abdomen, or if you lay on your back and fold your right leg up like you are trying to touch your butt with your heel and it causes pain, I would go to an ER immediately. That is a good sign of appendicitis. It isn't a 100% sign of appendicitis, but it should be checked out. Diverticuloses and some other things can have the same symptons.
My DIL is a nurse and she tells me these things when I get pains I don't know what might be causing them.
If you have any doubt it might be anything other than an ulcer you should have tests done to eliminate other causes of the pain.
A rupture of the appendix can be a very serious problem due to the release of bacteria into the abdominal cavity.
I'm not trying to scare you. I just wanted to warn you to be carefull because your description of the location and the type of pain isn't consistant with what most folks feel with an ulcer.
I wish you well and that whatever is causing the pain is temporary and minor. But it shouldn't be ignored just in case it isn't an ulcer.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:09 AM

37,450 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Get tested for H.pylora

99% of bleeding ulcers are caused by H.pylora.

Mine is not though. I have been on the purple pill since 1997, I works great.

Milk by the way is an acid, which is actually 'bad'.

In my case bread helps whenever I am out of purple pills. One slice of bread about every 2 hours will keep my stomach from eating a hole through itself.

Mine is a duodenal ulcer.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:29 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Yeah, John, have you had an EGD to diagnose the ulcer? The stomach is above the waistline. Not to say you couldn't have an ulcer lowr down. I have had both kinds, the H. pylori and a 'pill' ulcer from taking too many meds at once.

Avoid spicy foods, even canned chili, and citrus foods.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:53 PM

What about eating Mayfield Lowfat Cottage Cheese?

I had a EGD eleven years ago and doctor found I have GERD. I need another EGD now to see what's wrong this time.

Thanks, John

Old 09-16-2010, 11:04 AM

Before getting another EDG the doctor wants me to take another pill called Ranitidine 300 mgs which is Zantac and in two weeks if this doesn't work then I will have the EDG test. Have any of you taken this kind of pill?

Thanks, John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness