Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 05:01 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times

Advertisements

The Walmart 2 inch foam tops quit working for my DH. He is still in pain. I even bought another and put it on top. Says due to his weighing more than me that the bed is still hard, better but hard. I think we will need to get a sleep number bed. I found a Comfort Aire one on line, cheaper than in stores, but not sure if there is a better brand. It is about the same as Select Comfort. Do these beds every get a leak? And why not? What brands did you get. My husband has neck, shoulder, and hip pain from sleeping on the firm memory foam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 6,099 times
I think that a [URL="http://www.simplyrest.com"]sleep number bed[/URL] or a [URL="http://www.astrabeds.com"]memory foam mattress[/URL] would help most people get a better night sleep.

It is a great concept and has a strong warranty.

Last edited by mattresses; 06-11-2008 at 08:35 PM..

Old 06-12-2008, 04:46 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
We've been sleeping on the Sleep Number for almost two weeks. My husband loves it. He has some stiffness and pain from being hit by a drunk driver. He can move in the morning now and he's much more comfortable. I don't like it. I can't sink down into the mattress to get cozy. I don't like the sides. We're keeping it because he feels so much better. I sleep soundly and can sleep on most anything.

We had a Tempurpedic before the Sleep Number. It was fine the first two years. Then I started having fantasies of bonfires with the mattress being the star of the show.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:30 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
We've been sleeping on the Sleep Number for almost two weeks. My husband loves it. He has some stiffness and pain from being hit by a drunk driver. He can move in the morning now and he's much more comfortable. I don't like it. I can't sink down into the mattress to get cozy. I don't like the sides. We're keeping it because he feels so much better. I sleep soundly and can sleep on most anything.

We had a Tempurpedic before the Sleep Number. It was fine the first two years. Then I started having fantasies of bonfires with the mattress being the star of the show.
Did you purchase the dual chamber model? If so, play with your setting...the lower the number the more you will sink.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:38 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post

I have a Tempurpedic and I have been loving it. I do however flip it every other month. My daughter usually sleeps with me and she of course weights less then I do. I have had mine for about a year now.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:38 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
We have had our Tempurpedic for 5 months now and love it. Hopefully it will hold up for a while, those things aren't cheap! But I like it a lot better than any regular mattress.

forum rules, please read them

Old 06-13-2008, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Did you purchase the dual chamber model? If so, play with your setting...the lower the number the more you will sink.
It is dual chamber. It's a low number now, 25 or 30, but it's still not the kind of mattress I sink into. As quickly as I fall asleep, it's not a big deal but it would be nice to snuggle in on Sunday mornings.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:45 PM

396 posts, read 837,931 times
I know I'm new, but I do need to post a word of caution on Sleep Number beds. They are flawed. The sides are foam and can collapse if you roll over. My parents had one and the side of the bed collapsed when Dad moved (he wasn't that close to the side of the bed) and rolled him out of bed. When he rolled out of bed, he struck the corner of the night stand and is now blind in his left eye. I would honestly suggest one of the memory foam beds or even just a topper to your bed. They're much more comfortable...I had tried Mom and Dad's bed (the sleep number) before Dad's incident and couldn't get comfortable on it.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:46 AM

New doesn't matter. Everyone's welcome. Do you mean the platform the mattress sits on? It is an odd frame. Your poor Dad!

I've settled into the new bed and learned what numbers I like depending on how hard I've worked (a lot of physical work) that day. It's made a big difference in my back. My husband feels like a new man. No more aches and pains and moving slowly in the morning (car accident).

Old 06-29-2008, 06:53 AM

396 posts, read 837,931 times
It's not the platform the mattress is built on, it's the actual side of the mattress. Where a normal bed has wire around the top of the mattress that the springs attatch to, the sleep number beds do not have that wire, what it has is a thick "heavy/rigid" foam side that helps to give the bed its shape. That's what gave way. Dad's case is also not the only time I've heard of it happening. Some friends of ours have the same bed. He fell out of bed twice...she fell out of bed once (and cracked ribs)...those times were also cases of the side of the bed collapsing.
Personally, I have a Queen sized pillow top mattress, but am looking into getting an egg crate for the top of the mattress as well. I have neck and back problems stemming from my job and have already had 2 knee surgeries. Lately the only way I can get comfortable is by taking anti-inflamatories as well as muscle relaxers, otherwise I wake up stiff and sore in the mornings. I can say that if I could afford the memory foam mattress, I would definitely have one, but I'm not fortunate enough to make that kind of money. lol. Speaking of mattresses...it's about time to go crawl on top of mine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness