Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:16 AM

2 posts, read 47,681 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=5]Beware when you buy a Sleep Number bed

[/SIZE]One thing you must know BEFORE you purchase a Sleep Number bed (SNB) is there is NO REPAIR SERVICE if something goes wrong with your bed. If something breaks they will send you the part(s) but you have to make the repair yourself. I own a King size SNB (7000 series). Even before you get any new parts YOU have to diagnose the problem by crawling under your bed and troubleshooting. If you are disabled like I am and no one else in the household to do this for you that is difficult. I called the home office in Minniapolis (Bill McGlaughlin is the CEO) and his assistant (Chad, employee #89638 and it was his choice to tell me his employee number; I didn't ask and he was not very nice) had a very canned statement about the repair of my bed and it was, if it's broke and you can't fix it, TOUGH! They are happy to send out parts but if you want someone to come fix it they will call the people that delivered and set up the bed and it will cost $150 each time they have to come out. As far as the comfort of this bed; we have had it about a year; it tends to sink in the place where you lay and then there are higher places on each side of where you lay so if you don't get right back in the rut your body had made you do roll back into that spot because of the hill on each side of you. My husband is terminally ill with cancer and I purchased this bed so he could hopefully have ultimate comfort during his struggle--it was a bad/expensive idea. Keep this in mind if you are thinking about purchasing one of these beds--folks they are NOT WORTH IT! PS: the problem with my bed is the chambers will not hold the air. We put it on the setting we want and in a few days the air has gone down. Even if they sent me new chambers, they come in a small box; I would have to inflate (??how) them and on a King Size bed they are huge once inflated, disassemble the bed (zippers padding, foam), put the chambers in the bed, reassemble the bed--it's a lot of hard work. IT TOOK TWO YOUNG MEN TO ASSEMBLE THE BED TO BEGIN WITH (and that's another story, they knocked a TV off of a table with one of the air chambers when they installed the bed and caused over $1,000 damage to my home), what makes them think that a disabled person could do this alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 05:16 PM

398 posts, read 815,557 times
Can't quite understand the problems some are having with the sleep number, aka,Select Comfort beds. If assembled correctly, and the mattress top is zipped on, the sides can not fall apart to fall out of bed. It comes in one huge box and nothing is heavy. You inflate the bed with the same pump that fills the chambers to your desired number. You can buy a different "pillow top" to get a softer bed. If one chamber develops a leak, you call the company and they send you a new chamber and you return the old one. No one needs to help with the set up. Have tried all the other types and these beds do seem more comfortable. You do not have to buy the base...just the top...can even be set up on plywood.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:25 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,770,679 times
The Sleep Number Mattress has got to be the best marketing hype ever.

The only thing better than selling a bag of air would be selling an invisible bag of air.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:05 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,420,772 times
Fat Freddy, I slept on a too hard mattress for 25 years because my husband preferred it; I've been on my sleep number bed for almost 6 years; it's about time I quit giving up comfort because I am married.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 47,681 times
don't get one, the company does not offer repair service, unless you pay $150 for every service call. Also the air will not hold. I have had mine for less than a year and they are already replacing the chambers and the pump. Too expensive for what you get plus the bed quickly develops ruts that will not pump up. I can hardly wait to see what mine looks like after a few years.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 23,106 times
I just found out that the cover on my sleep number bed is not washable. any ideas how to clean it? Kay

Old 03-16-2010, 06:09 AM

1 posts, read 21,662 times
Do not buy this bed. It is a collossal waste of money. They have horrible customer service. The 20 year warrantee is a joke as it is pro-rated after two years. Leaking air chamber after two years? Get ready to plop down $75.00 for a new one. Bad Air pump? Open your wallet for another $300.00. You would be better off buying a new mattress of your choice every few years.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:23 PM

22,633 posts, read 6,385,316 times
Thanks for posting your opinions on that bed.
I wish we had a review thread on CD, pros and cons of various merchandise.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 21,196 times
I've had one for about 3 years. It is losing air every other night. Not happy with this at all, since I spent over 2,000 on this. Also, I purchased an oversized queen. Very difficult to purchase sheets,etc. that fit on it, unless you go to their store, which is very overpriced.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 22,882 times
Torrie: My husband and I have only had our Sleep Number bed for a little over 2 yrs and we got the dual chambers so that we could both have our own settings. This bed is an absolute NIGHTMARE. In the beginning it was pretty good but needless to say we ended up with this hole in the middle of the bed and no matter how much we filled each side or replaced the padding in it the hole remained. We are now looking into getting a softside waterbed because we use to have a King size waterbed about 7 yrs ago and we loved it but when I got pregnant I wasn't able to get in and out of it with out help then we moved.

So, I would NEVER EVER recommend the Sleep Number bed to even my worst enemy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness