U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 05:33 PM

10,312 posts, read 9,838,891 times

Advertisements

Cupcake's original question was, "Do doctors get kickbacks for prescribing certain meds?"

The answer to the question is no. In order for the answer to be yes, there would have to be a relationship between the drug maker and the doctor that would require that the doctor prescribe the drug in order to receive a perk, such as a trip or a meal or even the much maligned pen or post it.

However, a doctor who attends a drug company sponsored dinner has no obligation to prescribe any medication that is discussed. Obviously, the sponsor hopes that educating the doctor about the drug will increase sales, but there is no payment to the doctor in money or other perks to actually write a prescription.

Under the current ethical guidelines, the company may pay for a meal or offer some token medically associated item for attending a presentation, such as a book.

As far as trips are concerned, the companies do pay the doctors that actually present the educational sessions to attend training sessions that provide them with the information on the new drug. The presenters must follow strict FDA guidelines about what they say the drug is indicated for, but if the people in the group ask questions about other treatment options, they are allowed to answer those. These people are paid for teaching, not prescribing.

The controversy has come from academic research doctors accepting money to teach at drug company sponsored events, sometimes on the time of their academic employer, while also accepting research money. Medical schools now frown on this.
The person doing the teaching should not be someone whose lab benefits from the research funding provided by the company making the drug.

Your local family doc is not being paid to prescribe certain drugs, and contrary to what many posters here seem to think, doctors really do try to choose the best treatment for each patient. They will use generics as often as possible, and the actual drug chosen often depends as much on the insurance company formulary as the physician's choice. The doctors I know are acutely attuned to the economic pressures patients are facing and do the best they can to minimize costs, including offering samples, coupons, manufacturers' assistance info, spending massive hours of clerical time to get meds authorized with insurance companies, and writing prescriptions for tablets that can be divided with a pill splitter to cut costs.

No, doctors do not get paid for prescribing certain meds, the OP's original question.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:25 PM

4,487 posts, read 2,421,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Cupcake's original question was, "Do doctors get kickbacks for prescribing certain meds?"

The answer to the question is no. In order for the answer to be yes, there would have to be a relationship between the drug maker and the doctor that would require that the doctor prescribe the drug in order to receive a perk, such as a trip or a meal or even the much maligned pen or post it.

However, a doctor who attends a drug company sponsored dinner has no obligation to prescribe any medication that is discussed. Obviously, the sponsor hopes that educating the doctor about the drug will increase sales, but there is no payment to the doctor in money or other perks to actually write a prescription.

Under the current ethical guidelines, the company may pay for a meal or offer some token medically associated item for attending a presentation, such as a book.

As far as trips are concerned, the companies do pay the doctors that actually present the educational sessions to attend training sessions that provide them with the information on the new drug. The presenters must follow strict FDA guidelines about what they say the drug is indicated for, but if the people in the group ask questions about other treatment options, they are allowed to answer those. These people are paid for teaching, not prescribing.

The controversy has come from academic research doctors accepting money to teach at drug company sponsored events, sometimes on the time of their academic employer, while also accepting research money. Medical schools now frown on this.
The person doing the teaching should not be someone whose lab benefits from the research funding provided by the company making the drug.

Your local family doc is not being paid to prescribe certain drugs, and contrary to what many posters here seem to think, doctors really do try to choose the best treatment for each patient. They will use generics as often as possible, and the actual drug chosen often depends as much on the insurance company formulary as the physician's choice. The doctors I know are acutely attuned to the economic pressures patients are facing and do the best they can to minimize costs, including offering samples, coupons, manufacturers' assistance info, spending massive hours of clerical time to get meds authorized with insurance companies, and writing prescriptions for tablets that can be divided with a pill splitter to cut costs.

No, doctors do not get paid for prescribing certain meds, the OP's original question.
Excellent post!!!

Now, perhaps the difference between advertising and kickbacks will be clear to everyone.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:27 AM

778 posts, read 993,892 times
From the pharmaceutical point of view, naivety is quite welcome.

Thank God not everyone is so deep in the sand.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:53 AM

2,575 posts, read 6,273,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
From the pharmaceutical point of view, naivety is quite welcome.

Thank God not everyone is so deep in the sand.
What are you going on about...

Do you or do you not have evidence of doctors receiving kickbacks for prescriptions they write...

THAT was the question raised in this thread...

The answer is no of course.....but you can keep pretending its "yes" if that helps preserve your world view...

You'll never be able to prove it of course...but no worries.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:51 PM

778 posts, read 993,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
What are you going on about...

Do you or do you not have evidence of doctors receiving kickbacks for prescriptions they write...

THAT was the question raised in this thread...

The answer is no of course.....but you can keep pretending its "yes" if that helps preserve your world view...

You'll never be able to prove it of course...but no worries.
I've already answered that question but I'll try to express it more simply for you.

Yes, I've seen it FIRSTHAND. I KNOW. "Proving" it to some nobody on a forum because they demand it isn't going to happen. Get over yourself.

Big Fish, Big Facility, Big Kickbacks. Patients have died because of it. The little trinkets doled out to community physicians are the low end of this issue.

Look at the big institutions.

Hint: There was a lengthy expose published for ONE such case and the Doctors in question are STILL at the facility. The problem is so much bigger than an insignificant discussion on this forum. Naturally, with millions of dollars involved, the stakes are high.

Ever hear of the New England Journal of Medicine? Search their archives. THEY are aware of the problem.

So are other medical journals.

Patients need to educate themselves and not assume medical professionals *always* have their best interest at heart.

I'm not bothering with this thread again. It's a waste of my time.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:51 PM

10,312 posts, read 9,838,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
I've already answered that question but I'll try to express it more simply for you.

Yes, I've seen it FIRSTHAND. I KNOW. "Proving" it to some nobody on a forum because they demand it isn't going to happen. Get over yourself.

Big Fish, Big Facility, Big Kickbacks. Patients have died because of it. The little trinkets doled out to community physicians are the low end of this issue.

Look at the big institutions.

Hint: There was a lengthy expose published for ONE such case and the Doctors in question are STILL at the facility. The problem is so much bigger than an insignificant discussion on this forum. Naturally, with millions of dollars involved, the stakes are high.

Ever hear of the New England Journal of Medicine? Search their archives. THEY are aware of the problem.

So are other medical journals.

Patients need to educate themselves and not assume medical professionals *always* have their best interest at heart.

I'm not bothering with this thread again. It's a waste of my time.
You keep dodging OP's original question. There is a difference between the concept of a practitioner being paid, in pens or dollars, to write prescriptions and the concept of doctors in research institutions accepting both research funding and speakers' fees.

The latter situation has definite potential for the introduction of bias in research and medical schools are addressing it.

The question remains: do you know doctors in private practice who receive money to prescribe certain drugs? Not a free dinner to listen to a speaker --- an actual kickback --- a payment from a drug company to prescribe. That was OP's initial question.

I believe it is wrong to make innuendos, not provide the specifics, then brand the thread as trivial and a waste of your time.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:59 PM

11,853 posts, read 11,366,819 times
No, doctors do not get kickbacks of ANY sort for prescribing medicine... If a medicine is not working or creating too much side effects, ask for another drug... if it is working and too expensive, ask for another drug... the power is in you and if you are unhappy then let the doctor know... he/she may be a great doctor but they can't read minds either... getting kickbacks is a FAST way to lose your license... who wants to lose their license and their future for a few dollars.. nobody... the only real kickbacks that have yet to be enforced are drug seeker patients who go to "pain clinics" to get narcotics and "pay" the doc to write them a script by means of a co-pay and insurance-billed visit...

Old 09-19-2010, 03:48 PM

7,120 posts, read 13,647,622 times
Thread has run its course. Hopefully a mod will lock it.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:25 PM

16,388 posts, read 30,653,279 times
Yeah, I agree. Just the same people saying the same thing ad nauseum.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness