U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-13-2010, 01:13 AM

1 posts, read 4,522 times
Default bone growth after ankle surgery

Hi,
I had an ankle surgery about 9 months back to remove bone spurs and loose bodies from my messed up ankle joint. I worked hard through the rehab, but 9 months later, still my ankle hurts. Last week an xray revealed I had abnormal bone growth post-surgery at the same place where the bone spurs existed before. My surgeon is saying that I might have to do another surgery to eliminate the spurious bone growth. Does anyone have similar experience? I am in a dilemma now - the surgeon also says there is no guarantee that the bone won't regrow at the same place even if I do the surgery.
Thx in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-13-2010, 06:55 PM

8,424 posts, read 21,939,335 times
That is a common problem. I suggest reviewing your diet to see if you are eating to create the problem. Also talk to the older people in your genetic family to see if that is an issue with them. (joint pain)

Make sure you do not overly push yourself during recovery. The body encases irritations in calcium to naturally protect itself. (kinda like a oyster makes a pearl) So make sure you diet is the type that is joint health orientated.

Unread 09-13-2010, 07:17 PM

2,452 posts, read 5,536,050 times
The formation of osteophytes after trauma or surgery has NOTHING to do with diet or genetics...

The body also does NOT encase "irritations" in calcium....whatever that means...

Abnormal bone growth also known as heterotopic ossification happens commonly after trauma and surgery particularly around arthritic joints.

Many "spurs" are the result of abnormal forces on joints due to loss of cartilage the body tries to reduce the pressure by increasing the surface area....hence the increase in bone.

Soft tissues may sometimes form bone after trauma due to cell transformation and turning on of osteoblasts...

What you eat is not going to affect this process.

You might talk to the surgeon and see if post operative radiation is an option or even use of NSAID's to reduce any heterotopic bone. If the spurs are the result of the arthritis there probably isn't much to be done though.

Good luck

Unread 09-15-2010, 02:00 PM

lithopaedion

Unread 09-15-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
lithopaedion
Are you saying this person has a dead fetus in their ankle??

Or is that a personal attack that I need to report your for??

Maybe you shouldn't just google things without reading about them if you somehow think this proves a point about calcification...

You do know a lithopaedion is a calcified extrauterine fetus....right??

Unread 09-16-2010, 09:40 AM

2,157 posts, read 4,880,204 times
My middle son use to break his collar bone, often. It always healed up with a knot on it but they eventually went away.

I have a nephew and a son that suffered serious injuries and and both had a sudden bone growth in a joint. My sons was in his elbow, it looked swollen and he couldn't move that joint at all. The sudden growth happened as a result of trauma to his body (burn patient) and it was removable with surgery. But they said they had to wait until it stopped growing or it would just continue to grow. They thought it had stopped and removed the excess bone and made that joint usable again.. It is growing again and he will need surgery to remove it again..

Unread 09-17-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Are you saying this person has a dead fetus in their ankle??

Or is that a personal attack that I need to report your for??

Maybe you shouldn't just google things without reading about them if you somehow think this proves a point about calcification...

You do know a lithopaedion is a calcified extrauterine fetus....right??
Oh so the body does envelop irritations/things that don't belong there in calcium...

Unread 09-17-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Oh so the body does envelop irritations/things that don't belong there in calcium...
You are calling an extrauterine fetus an "irritation"??

Interesting....also interesting that you chose something so incredibly rare to prove your point and still failed

And no, I'm not saying the body "envelops" anything in calcium....YOU said that

A lithopaedion "becomes calcified" it doesn't get "enveloped" ....far different from your erroneous interpretation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness