U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:17 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,407,570 times

Advertisements

I am 52 and not quite menopausal myself. At my last gyn appointment last month, it hurt me also. My gyn explained that the lower estrogen causes thinning tissues, on the inside and outside and this makes it all hurt more, both inside and out. I'm now on Estrace, and estrogen cream, and while I haven't been back for a pap test since then, I will say that other activities are MUCH better. If only your most recent pap smear was painful, I would think the extra scraping (ouch!) would be the cause, but since you say the previous one hurt as well, I think it could be low estrogen levels, though I'm not a doctor. I think the lovely term my gyn used was vaginal atrophy, or as the gyn said, "You have a mature vagina." hahaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 03:36 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,137,702 times
The lining in your uterus is thinner now, due to close to menopause, that could make a difference.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:17 PM

22,244 posts, read 27,221,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The lining in your uterus is thinner now, due to close to menopause, that could make a difference.
The uterine lining may be thinner (it varies with the day of the menstrual cycle), but the Pap smear is not obtained from the uterine lining. The brush is only inserted into the cervix.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:34 PM

8,668 posts, read 20,131,405 times
sounds like it may indeed be an age- related issue. Just know it wasn't like this when I was younger and I'm still seeing same gynecologist.

Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 25 times
To give you ladies some hope it has happened to me too over the last 10 years as I became more menopausal I guess. I have been sexually inactive as well for years but I just asked the OB to use a smaller speculum which helps. It's still not comfortable but much better. Excruciating pain that some of you seem to be describing is exactly what I have felt during the "scraping"- it is horrific. When it happened a second and third time my new OBGYN basically said it was in my head. How insulting and uninformed of her!!! I also have fibromyalgia for 20 years so that may be part of it but the paps have never been this painful prior to being pre-menopausal. I saw my old OBGYN and he said of course the pain is from Menopause!

And he warned me sex would be even worse LOL something to look forward to!! But he prescribed me Estriol cream to apply vaginally and this is supposed to fix everything so maybe that would help you ladies? Good luck and no it's not all in your head!! Good to know about the change in the tool used, I will ask him about that, maybe that is part of it!

Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM

14,404 posts, read 7,880,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I am 55 and have been having pap smears done with some regularity all my life. Never was painful. The last 2 or 3 times, however, I noticed that they hurt somewhat. Same gynecologist I've had for years so nothing new about that. I'm not talking about discomfort during the insertion of the speculum but when they actually collect the cells. Yesterday, it hurt so badly I actually jumped.

Is this unusual? Have you ever had ones that were painful?
Hmmmm....I've a had a bit more pain lately when they "jack open" the speculum to what seems way too wide. Of course I have no idea if it is more or the same as it ever was or if they ever even think that maybe for teens/menopausal women they could give us a break? BTW, I've never had any kids, if that makes a difference. ...But no pain with actually collecting the cells.

Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM

14,404 posts, read 7,880,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
I am 52 and not quite menopausal myself. At my last gyn appointment last month, it hurt me also. My gyn explained that the lower estrogen causes thinning tissues, on the inside and outside and this makes it all hurt more, both inside and out. I'm now on Estrace, and estrogen cream, and while I haven't been back for a pap test since then, I will say that other activities are MUCH better. If only your most recent pap smear was painful, I would think the extra scraping (ouch!) would be the cause, but since you say the previous one hurt as well, I think it could be low estrogen levels, though I'm not a doctor. I think the lovely term my gyn used was vaginal atrophy, or as the gyn said, "You have a mature vagina." hahaha.
Yeah...I really don't like goopy creams - may be good for PIV sex but not so much for other stuff. I get some hormones from a Femring.

Old Today, 09:37 AM

5,160 posts, read 13,054,414 times
Your physiology changes as you age. I had never had issues with pap smears, either, until menopause. It's not painful, but now, I do feel it more.

Old Today, 05:40 PM

13,512 posts, read 18,246,693 times
well I had one two years ago and it made me bleed for two days I called the drs office and the nurse was telling me that it sometimes happens . well that never happened before so . Then another dr a lady dr told me the dr was too rough and scraped me too hard and thus the bleeding . so needless to say I crossed that dr off my list . But yes they do seem to be getting more and more hurtful every year .I will mention the smaller speculum to my gyno thanks to the poster who mentioned that .

Old Today, 05:50 PM

6,139 posts, read 3,472,951 times
I get one every year. sometimes they hurt, sometimes they donít. Sometimes he accidentally pushes, squeezes, scrapes a little to hard. You may just be overthinking this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness