U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-16-2010, 02:15 PM

12,673 posts, read 13,617,753 times

Advertisements

Is it worth getting this? Whats a good one and a good price to pay?

Also looking for anti-humidity and allergy control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 09:20 PM

86 posts, read 21,389 times
Do you have allergies? Otherwise, it's kind of a waste of money.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonInhabitant View Post
Do you have allergies? Otherwise, it's kind of a waste of money.
Yes, but the meds are great and I am on the allergy shots too so its working. I wonder if the purifiers will help in addition in the long run.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:04 AM

484 posts, read 578,690 times
I disagree that they're all a waste of money. Just do your research & get a good one. When you see the stuff that is caught in them that's being filtered out of the air, that's less crap floating around that your lungs have to deal with. They supposedly can filter an entire room every hours or so. Our lungs are assaulted with so much stuff every day, they need all the help they can get! I have the Oreck Pro-Shield (w/ Truman cell) and skeptic that I am-- my god, it catches a lot of crap. If you have pets, I definitely recommend it. Even if you don't, there's a lot of dust, viruses, pollen, etc. in the air. Keep it near your bed, and keep it clean or it'll make crackling noises if it gets too much dust in it. (But let it get really full of dust once in a while so you can see how well it works!) So invest in a good vacuum, buy quality air filters for your HVAC & change frequently, and do the Oreck.
I don't know if it would do much for humidity, per se.. but it's supposed to filter out mold floating around that may be worsened by humidity... and it seems as if it may be doing that. I have noticed a significant difference when I started keeping it on all the time (and all night)... less stuffed up. It's super easy to maintain too.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:18 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,533,735 times
I have one that I use all the time and I love mine! Got it at Wal-Mart for around $100. Mine had a UV light that is said to kill germs. This one has a filter that you clean so you are not always having to buy replacement filters.

(Funny things, since using mine, I have noticed my cats are not sneezing as much and they like sitting close to it)

Old 10-20-2010, 01:19 PM

So how much should I spend on it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness