U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 02:25 PM

786 posts, read 4,191,803 times

Advertisements

I wonder some time what age a person is at their physical peak. The age a person feels the best, looks the best, has the best endurance, the least aches and pains, and body and mind is the sharpest. Then what is the age you start to go downhill. Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 05:57 PM

16,487 posts, read 20,046,601 times
Default At what age did your body start to go downhill?

Well, that is a very open ended question. A lot of when you begin to feel your age I believe has to do with your physical fitness level, psychological equilibrium, health, genetics, etc. I personally began noticing things in my 40's. My vision was getting a little worse every few years, body would ache more doing things I used to do with no problem, wasn't able to handle quite as spicy food as I used to, things like that. I really began to feel a difference in my early 50's. I just turned 54 and absolutely feel different than I used to and so does my husband who is one year older than myself. It is kind of sad and often mentally hard to grasp because you still feel young mentally, but you just have to accept it as part of the natural process of age.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:01 PM

8,191 posts, read 27,205,437 times
Mine started to go downhill about 17. I had a serious injury and was never the same after.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:04 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,748,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Well, that is a very open ended question. A lot of when you begin to feel your age I believe has to do with your physical fitness level, psychological equilibrium, health, genetics, etc. I personally began noticing things in my 40's. My vision was getting a little worse every few years, body would ache more doing things I used to do with no problem, wasn't able to handle quite as spicy food as I used to, things like that. I really began to feel a difference in my early 50's. I just turned 54 and absolutely feel different than I used to and so does my husband who is one year older than myself. It is kind of sad and often mentally hard to grasp because you still feel young mentally, but you just have to accept it as part of the natural process of age.
I agree wholeheartedly with crayola - I would LOVE to be 40 again! Working in the yard is now work sometimes...my fatigue level seems higher. I keep waiting on the magic turn - I hear your 50's can be your best - so far, I'm not impressed... Having had cancer at 44, though, I'm just thankful to be on the planet!

I think that's another thing about growing older that takes it's toll on you - friends get sick with "old people" diseases...some days I just feel old - and then I look in the mirror and wonder where that young girl that was a size 2 went to....the answer is obviously that she took a field trip to the Old and Fat Farm!

Old 07-05-2007, 06:08 PM

31,405 posts, read 12,555,536 times
I really think I peaked physically at 45, I was doing a lot of physical work, weighed more, but was stronger and healthier. Now I am 54 and thinner but noticing "things" I don't like. People say I look really young, but you are the one who has to be in your body, be it thin or more than you would like, the important thing is health and I'm trying to get there...

Old 07-05-2007, 06:14 PM

942 posts, read 978,002 times
Definitely the 50's I seem to be plagued with the deseases my parents had, but I personally don't like this 50's age group, it can take a horrible toll on a person. Some of us will retire, many of us find it is the age period where our parents become ill and we lose them, as I did 9 months apart. It is also the age we find that if we want to work part time after retiring still young, many will not hire us. All of these issues take a toll on a person, and contribute to the body going downhill. However you cope with it and get thru it and head into your 60's, cause there is no other options.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:16 PM

4,459 posts, read 5,976,041 times
I saw changes around 39-40; like I passed a kidney stone.
Around 49 slight decline in sexual urges; more around 53 (I am 55 now) Though I enjoy sex now more I had 10 years ago- even though I have it less.

Diagnosed with high blood pressure at 50 (my dad had the disease) Also diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder (dad had that as well)

Body heals slower from injury now then 10 years ago.
Weight gain is quicker for me (especially 50 and over)

Old 07-05-2007, 06:22 PM

5 posts, read 53,698 times
I was much more active till I really became glued to my desk in the past 8 years. I have seriously noticed changes in the past 2 yrs.

When you become inactive but don't cut your vices ....I think it's like sudden meltdown when you least expect it. :-)
Not cute.......Heading back to the gym.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:08 PM

219 posts, read 652,412 times
It was all over after puberty hit...

Old 07-06-2007, 10:23 AM

7,745 posts, read 16,295,534 times
58 and counting...still no sign of going downhill!

Franco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or