U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 05:26 AM

17,452 posts, read 16,560,307 times
Default My protein w/out meat situation...

An update on that. I have done lots of research and have talked to my Dr. I am doing great with getting all the nutrients I need, the protein and all of the other things that come with the meat.

It has been that meat just repulses me,. was at neuro the other day he says sounds like a bad gallbladder to him. I have had all the testing for that, negative, he says tests aren't always right, and I know that.

So.. last night dd was eating a rib eye left over from the 4th and I took a bite. It didn't bother me, didn't make me sick, and I thought it tasted ok. However, I did not want anymore. I went about eating 'my food'

I just think it is a change that the Lord has put infront of me. I will go with it. I like it, and health wise, I am doing so much better. No more Migraines, no more RA or FM flares. Doing good. Exercising and loving it.....

Love you guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 06:18 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 10,996,176 times
Glad to hear that. Hang in there, ok?

Old 07-06-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Glad to hear that. Hang in there, ok?
yes ma'am

Old 07-06-2007, 04:02 PM

453 posts, read 1,512,312 times
what are you eating for protein? beans?

Old 07-06-2007, 06:43 PM

beans, soy, lentils, etc... lol protein enriched foods with lots of grains....seeds and nuts. Fortified cereals.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:35 PM

1,007 posts, read 102,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
So.. last night dd was eating a rib eye left over from the 4th and I took a bite. It didn't bother me, didn't make me sick, and I thought it tasted ok. However, I did not want anymore. I went about eating 'my food'

I just think it is a change that the Lord has put infront of me. I will go with it. I like it, and health wise, I am doing so much better. No more Migraines, no more RA or FM flares. Doing good. Exercising and loving it.....
Robyn -

Congratulations! This sounds great! I'm so glad you're feeling better & migraines & flares are gone! Good for you.

More than 6-mos ago, I lost my desire for poultry & red meat. I still eat some fish, but much less than before - about once every 2-wks. I just don't crave it. Don't know why but, like you, I'm just going with the message that my body's giving me. I'm spending a lot less on food, so it's a benefit all the way around. I haven't felt a big health benefit yet (as in migraines), but I'm still sticking with it & it will come.

Good news for both of us. Can't get better than that... VV

Old 07-06-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
Robyn -

Congratulations! This sounds great! I'm so glad you're feeling better & migraines & flares are gone! Good for you.

More than 6-mos ago, I lost my desire for poultry & red meat. I still eat some fish, but much less than before - about once every 2-wks. I just don't crave it. Don't know why but, like you, I'm just going with the message that my body's giving me. I'm spending a lot less on food, so it's a benefit all the way around. I haven't felt a big health benefit yet (as in migraines), but I'm still sticking with it & it will come.

Good news for both of us. Can't get better than that... VV
Thanks!

Old 07-07-2007, 07:03 AM

609 posts, read 2,603,233 times
How are you getting your Zinc and B vitamins if you don't eat meat?

Old 07-07-2007, 08:34 AM

453 posts, read 1,512,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
How are you getting your Zinc and B vitamins if you don't eat meat?
hopefully she's taking a multivitamin.

i would also recommend supplementing with creatine, since creatine also only comes from meat
Quote:
Widely known for it muscle-building benefits, creatine, it appears, has much more to offer than its erogenic properties. Researchers Wyss and Schulze looked at the broader health implications of creatine as they tried to determine its value in treat[ing] several neurodegenerative, vascular and muscular disorders 15.

Their findings, published in the prestigious Neuroscience, showed creatine to be an extremely important neuroprotectant (an agent that increases the survival of nerve cells to environmental insults).

Energy metabolism and the production of Reactive Oxygen Species (very small molecules that can result in significant damage to cell structures, of which include oxygen ions, free radicals and peroxides) are thought to underpin many nuerodegenerative disorders, and creatine is thought to enhance the brains ability to survive the metabolic and physical trauma associated with these conditions.

It was found by Wyss and colleagues that those with neurodegenerative disorders associated with creatine deficiencies (inborn errors in creatine production and storage) may require supplemental creatine, in order for it to be more effectively delivered to the central nervous system.

Additionally, Ray and colleagues found creatine to improve brain function (specifically short-term memory) in normal subjects 11. In a placebo controlled cross-over design study, 45 vegetarian and vegan subjects (chosen as their intake of creatine was negligible) took five grams per day of creatine for six weeks.

After this period, all subjects were assessed on non-verbal intelligence and verbal memory capacity. It was found that subjects who took creatine rather than the placebo exhibited improved short-term memory, and were better able to problem solve under time constraints. Significantly, the researchers said:

"Supplementation with creatine significantly increased intelligence compared with the placebo."

Wyss, M. and Schulze, A. (2002) Health implications of creatine: Can oral creatine supplementation protect against neurological and atherosclerotic disease? Neuroscience, Volume 112 (2), pages 243-260.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:02 AM

I am taking a multi vitamin, as well as others. I have to be careful with the creatinine, because of the meds I take and my liver function. I will discuss that with my Rheumatologist when I go this month.

I plan on meeting with a nutritionist, and today I am going to GNC to see whats up in there.

Who knows about Omega 3 ...should I be taking that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness