Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:18 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times

Advertisements

It's not that it can't hurt, I just feel that when you're dealing with your spine, it's better to be safe than sorry. I have spine problems. I was born with acute lordosis, and then after a car accident, developed degenerative disk disease. Now I also have osteopenia to complicate matters. I -could- have surgery, but the risks of failure outweight the potential benefits. I will eventually be wheelchair bound, whether I have the surgery or not.

Inversion therapy might relieve some of the pressure temporarily, but only at the risk of causing more damage. Pain medication will definitely relieve the pain, but only at the risk of tolerance, and worse, addiction to narcotics.

Chiropractic is not recommended, though I have tried that. Accupuncture/accupressure can't heal dissolving disks or prevent others from dissolving, so it would be futile to even start.

I live with pain every day, and have lived with it for most of my life. I am grateful that I know what *exactly* is wrong, so that I can avoid doing things that will make it worse.

It's in your best interest to do as much research as you can on your own situation, and research all the treatments, BEFORE spending money on those treatments. You don't have surgery, and then ask after you recover, "What was this supposed to do, anyway?" So why would you do the same with an inversion table? Why would you buy one, but not know how it's supposed to work and what you're supposed to do with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 02:26 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,771,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's not that it can't hurt, I just feel that when you're dealing with your spine, it's better to be safe than sorry. I have spine problems. I was born with acute lordosis, and then after a car accident, developed degenerative disk disease. Now I also have osteopenia to complicate matters. I -could- have surgery, but the risks of failure outweight the potential benefits. I will eventually be wheelchair bound, whether I have the surgery or not.

Inversion therapy might relieve some of the pressure temporarily, but only at the risk of causing more damage. Pain medication will definitely relieve the pain, but only at the risk of tolerance, and worse, addiction to narcotics.

Chiropractic is not recommended, though I have tried that. Accupuncture/accupressure can't heal dissolving disks or prevent others from dissolving, so it would be futile to even start.

I live with pain every day, and have lived with it for most of my life. I am grateful that I know what *exactly* is wrong, so that I can avoid doing things that will make it worse.

It's in your best interest to do as much research as you can on your own situation, and research all the treatments, BEFORE spending money on those treatments. You don't have surgery, and then ask after you recover, "What was this supposed to do, anyway?" So why would you do the same with an inversion table? Why would you buy one, but not know how it's supposed to work and what you're supposed to do with it?
Im very sorry to hear of your health problems . I know what to do with the Inversion Table , how it works, and what its supposed to do ... in a general sense as ive read many peoples posts in other Forums over the last couple of days. I feel very comfortable doing it for 2 min. 4-5 times per day as i dont have ddd ; I spent a career in HVAC and was always in difficult positions and lifting heavy things plus im tall ...so it doesnt surprise me ive got tightness and low level pain in my back and neck. Its certainly tolerable pain and only rarely do i need to take some Advil . Today i feel great having gotton on the Table last night and this morning...4 vertebrae popped and i certainly have greater rotation and movement in my back.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:35 PM

You know that's not the bones popping right? That's just air between the bones. It's the same as cracking your knuckles - no different. And you don't need to buy a special table for that. I crack my back all the time to release the air pressure between the bones. But that has nothing to do with what causes the pain. Tightness is a muscle issue. Not a bone issue. And popping the air bubbles won't loosen muscle. Loosening muscle loosens muscle. You're stretching your muscles, putting them into positions they're not used to being in. That's why you're feeling relief. Not because of vertebrae cracking. If your vertebrae were truly cracking, you would have a broken spine.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You know that's not the bones popping right? That's just air between the bones. It's the same as cracking your knuckles - no different. And you don't need to buy a special table for that. I crack my back all the time to release the air pressure between the bones. But that has nothing to do with what causes the pain. Tightness is a muscle issue. Not a bone issue. And popping the air bubbles won't loosen muscle. Loosening muscle loosens muscle. You're stretching your muscles, putting them into positions they're not used to being in. That's why you're feeling relief. Not because of vertebrae cracking. If your vertebrae were truly cracking, you would have a broken spine.
I doubt theres any air between the vertebraes...fluid maybe but not air . Im aware of the muscles being stretched, but when the popping occurs its the vertebrae that is being realigned to a slightly different position . Its helping and im picking up the frequency each day .

Old 11-20-2010, 09:27 AM

It's gas built up around the fluid, which is sinovial fluid, that exists between all joints. Nothing is being aligned as a result of the pop. The pop will occur every 20-30 minutes if you do the same thing to make it pop, regardless of what else goes on (or doesn't go on) while you're doing it. The pop is the release of gas pressure between two bones. Your feeling of relief is the result of the muscles loosening, not the result of the bubble popping. Cracking your back, your knuckles, your knees - toes, ankles, shoulders. They ALL have sinovial fluid, and gas between the bones. And they ALL can have that fluid pressure decrease and gas pressure increase to the point where the gas pressure can be "popped," which is the sound you are hearing and the crunch you are feeling.

Again, if that was your bone, you would have a broken spine. It's very sad, and scary, that you are intentionally manipulating your body without having the faintest idea of what's happening to it.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:28 AM

Oh well, im willing to take a chance....as are millions others whove bought em at Sams and Walmart and who report great results.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:12 AM

8 posts, read 214,061 times
There are some instructions. You can follow these too.

Step1.

Adjust the foot platform to your height. Most inversion tables have prescribed distances that your feet should be from the back platform. Use the adjustment knob or lever to suit your height.

Step 2

Set the inversion table to a slight angle. Beginners should start with a 20-degree angle and work through steeper angles when their bodies adjust.

Step 3

Invert for short periods of time. One to two minutes is the recommended time in suspension for beginners who will eventually work up to three to five. Avoid inverting for more than five minutes.

Step 4

Use the table often. The inversion table can be used several times a day. Invert at least once every day for spine pain prevention.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:57 AM

yes.thanks

Old 03-05-2011, 04:24 PM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
I really want to get one of these. I've had back problems for a while, and I always feel like I need to crack or pop areas I just can't seem to on my own- no matter how much I stretch or twist around. Gravity just kills me sometimes...

The tables sound relaxing and I'd be more comfortable doing something slowly on my own than having some chiropractor jerk me around lol.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:34 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,309 times
If you are also having leg pain, you should see a neurosurgeon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness