Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 01:44 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times

Advertisements

Note that the smoking drug "Chantax" is also on this list.......

15 Dangerous Drugs Big Pharma Shoves Down Our Throats | Personal Health | AlterNet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 02:38 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
It's Chantix, not Chantax. And that article is misleading to extremes.

Here's the real answer:

Dangerous drugs to beware of: ANY drugs that don't mix with your own personal physiology. If you have a risk of blood clots, you shouldn't take any birth control pills. ALL birth control pills come with a risk of blood clots, among other things. And, they are all known to reduce acne. That's why the pharmaceutical companies came up with the idea in the first place. Acne reduction was a known side-effect of the Pill, and has been known for several decades by patients and by the doctors who prescribed it.

I took Chantix for almost three weeks. Other than being gassy and feeling vaguely distant and "off" emotionally, I was fine, and have been smoke-free for going on three years as a result. These drugs all come with warnings letting the patient know about the risks. There is no secret to any of them. Even the antidepressants now all have black box warnings, and detailed information in the patient info sheet. It's the responsibility of the patient to read this information.

Scare tactics aside, it's important that people read the information when they're prescribed medications. And it's important that they ask questions. And it's important to let the doctor know of ALL the drugs you're taking - even if they're illegal. People have died from mixing prescription meds that their doctors knew about, with meds that their doctor didn't know about - all because the patient chose not to tell the doctor about it.

The responsibility is on the patient to educate himself - not just by reading scary stories on the internet, but by researching the sources of those stories. And by first checking the actual official documentation that comes with the medication itself. You'd be surprised at how much of the information on some of these fear-mongering sites isn't news at all, and is well-documented as known risks for taking those meds. It's not shocking news, in other words. It's stuff you would've known about if you had simply read the patient information sheet.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:51 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,222,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Note that the smoking drug "Chantax" is also on this list.......

15 Dangerous Drugs Big Pharma Shoves Down Our Throats | Personal Health | AlterNet
This "list" is from a blog writer with a decided anti-Pharma bent...

and Chantix( not Chantax) is STILL safer than smoking cigarettes....

Old 11-19-2010, 05:26 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
Ambien ...

I was prescribed Ambien, and it did make me fall asleep, but I also got a serious case of vertigo while taking it. I can't take that stuff anymore!

Old 11-19-2010, 05:51 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,399 times
There's been a surge of ads for Abilify and Seroquel, both antipsychotics, being used to "augment" antidepressants. This is misleading and dangerous, not to mention useless. OK, so I take Seroquel, but not for depression. It's a shame that the FDA doesn't step in and do something. These drugs really shouldn't be marketed direct-to-consumer, anyways.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:34 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
There's been a surge of ads for Abilify and Seroquel, both antipsychotics, being used to "augment" antidepressants. This is misleading and dangerous, not to mention useless. OK, so I take Seroquel, but not for depression. It's a shame that the FDA doesn't step in and do something. These drugs really shouldn't be marketed direct-to-consumer, anyways.
My Pdoc gave me Seroquel once for bi-polar depression and I thought I was going to die. That stuff is STRONG!!! I've never taken anything like that which could make me so "out of it". I sure wouldn't recommend it to anyone. This drug should not be marketed direct-to-consumer because the average consumer probably doesn't know the strength of this medication and what it will do.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:04 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
My Pdoc gave me Seroquel once for bi-polar depression and I thought I was going to die. That stuff is STRONG!!! I've never taken anything like that which could make me so "out of it". I sure wouldn't recommend it to anyone. This drug should not be marketed direct-to-consumer because the average consumer probably doesn't know the strength of this medication and what it will do.
The whole thing really boils down to using (and doctors prescribing) medications for appropriate reasons.

Seroquel might have been totally inappropriate for you, which was why you had such a severe response to it. But someone who actually -needs- it for psychosis treatment, might not have the same response, and might respond positively.

Perfect example: a relative of mine has epilepsy, and has to take Dilantin every day to control it. Once, I had a migraine. And the relative dug into their little pill box to give me a tylenol cap. Not paying attention to what I was taking, I swallowed it quickly. It turned out to be a Dilantin. Needless to say, I was zoned out for several hours, more or less incapacitated. And yet, my relative experiences none of this when he takes them, and in fact would end up having grand mal seizures if he didn't take them. The only thing he experiences when he takes them - is a decisive lack of seizures.

Any drug that has neurological effects can produce odd results in people who don't actually need them.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:32 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,899,704 times
I read the article and noted that no qualifications for its author were listed.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:47 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,752 times
I think Chantix is much safer than smoking cigarettes that's for sure. Personally, I think it's amazing how any educated person this day and age can ever start to and continue to smoke.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:22 AM

731 posts, read 1,579,164 times
I'm lucky Big Pharma has not shoved any of these pills down my throat....or any others for that matter. I believe we shove our medicines down our own throat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness