Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 02:59 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times

Advertisements

In getting back to the OPs original question of "At what size do you consider someone to be fat?", I give you exhibit A of fatty momma jeans wearing Jessica Simpson - http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8VzjZmfTjX...impson+fat.jpg Of course this is a horrible pic of her, and like I have already said, depending on the "lenses" you are viewing through, will determine on if you think she's fat or not. A bigger woman will say she looks fine or "I will kill for a body like that" while a fitter woman and most men would say "ugh, she looks horrible".

I think this gal looks AMAZING but my wife thinks she looks too fat - http://photos.lasvegassun.com/media/...2d17f0ae245bc0 But as I have said before, the wife is a ballroom/ballet dancer so she's viewing through different "lenses" while I am looking from just a regular dude's perspective of "holy cow, she's got a smoking hot body."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 03:35 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
lol so true. I think it's because most women tend to fade after 25. It's a constant uphill struggle for females.
It is for everyone, of either sex. In the end, genetics wins out.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:19 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,038 times
"At what size do YOU consider someone fat?"

It really isn't up to ME to decide this at all. It's up to each individual to decide if they are fat. It's not society, definitely not the media. It's individual determination about themselves.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:12 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,649,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
In getting back to the OPs original question of "At what size do you consider someone to be fat?", I give you exhibit A of fatty momma jeans wearing Jessica Simpson - http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8VzjZmfTjX...impson+fat.jpg Of course this is a horrible pic of her, and like I have already said, depending on the "lenses" you are viewing through, will determine on if you think she's fat or not. A bigger woman will say she looks fine or "I will kill for a body like that" while a fitter woman and most men would say "ugh, she looks horrible".

I think this gal looks AMAZING but my wife thinks she looks too fat - http://photos.lasvegassun.com/media/...2d17f0ae245bc0 But as I have said before, the wife is a ballroom/ballet dancer so she's viewing through different "lenses" while I am looking from just a regular dude's perspective of "holy cow, she's got a smoking hot body."
I don't see much of a difference between the two. They both look "normal" to me.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:28 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Maybe I am wrong on this one, but I think it is an internal issue, "at what point do you consider yourself fat?", for example, when I am over 180, that is fat for me. That is time to stop eating everything, and working out alot more. That being said, some women would go crazy if the scale tips 130. I have often wondered about seriously obese people, do they not percieve themselves as "fat"?

Old 11-27-2010, 12:49 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Maybe I am wrong on this one, but I think it is an internal issue, "at what point do you consider yourself fat?", for example, when I am over 180, that is fat for me. That is time to stop eating everything, and working out alot more. That being said, some women would go crazy if the scale tips 130. I have often wondered about seriously obese people, do they not percieve themselves as "fat"?
I agree with you on this. It depends on the woman. I have a friend who called for massive celebration when she tipped the scales at 190 pounds. Her entire life she was over 200+ pounds so when she lost it was cause for celebration. My wife feels like she needs to lose weight if she's more than 125 pounds.

I think the OP wants to know what WE feel is fat in another person, not what each person feels for themselves if they are fat or not.

Rosie O'Donnell - FAT
Jessica Simpson in those horrible momma pants - FAT
Margaret Cho - FAT
Jessica Simpson before she got married - NOT FAT
Jessica Beil - NOT FAT
Serena Williams - NOT FAT (Hot and slightly big, but NOT fat. But she's HOT)
Most women over 160 pounds - FAT

Old 11-27-2010, 01:15 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
thats it Lao, thats actually what i was looking for and your list is a big help as to what appears fat to you...

personally i woudlnt call simpson in those jeans fat as much as id say WOW what was she thinking...those jeans do not suite her even one iota and make her look like shes got no waist...the braless look isnt working for her either lol.

the feedback im getting from this thread however is refreshing, its obvious everyone has a different idea of fat and thin BUT the folks on this threat also seem very accepting that not everyone can nautrlaly be a size 4 and its more about the individual (and not disrespecting people based on size)
whihc is hugely refreshing compared to some of the threads ive seen.

thank you all

Old 11-27-2010, 02:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Years ago, a wife of a business acquaintenance told me she wore a size 18. I could NOT believe it. I was a 14 at the time and she looked skinnier than me. She was also about 5'10" and I was 5'4". Height and bone structure play a big part in "fat appearance" - you can't just go by clothes size or weight. 160 lbs on a 5'10" woman might look quite good if she were in shape. The one I knew was stunning.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:05 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post

If I woke up tomorrow looking like either, it would be too fat for my tastes. I'd up my workout regime pronto.

That said, if I came across either in my day to day life, I would not be thinking "fat chick." They just have too much body fat for my own personal tastes.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:05 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
It depends upon what size you are to start with. I am 5'11" and I am a size 10 at my very thinnest, which is about 150. If I go up to an 18 I am fat, but a person who is thin at size 2 is probably fat at size 10. I think every 10 lbs is a size up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness