Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 12:36 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times

Advertisements

More Americans are now obese and/or overweight than ever; with the percentages increasing yearly. Our children are becoming overweight at a rate even faster than adults. This trend is leading to more premature deaths; higher rates of disease(think diabetes) and escalating health care costs. These overall costs to society are now estimated to be 147 BILLION dollars in the United States according to Scientific American magazine.

Most researchers are blaming our food and/or eating habits, which I'm sure is a large part of the problem. But I personally feel that a lack of exercise and a sedate lifestyle is equally IF not even a bigger part of this accelerating trend.

With children for instance I seldom see them playing outdoors and walking or bicycling. These activities were the norm in the 1960's and earlier; before this health problem became more prevalent.

Here is a link with more information; with a state by state breakdown.....with Mississippi having the highest obesity rates and Hawaii the least.

Obesity in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a Pictoral Graphic of obesity and overweight people in the United States from Scientific American magazine.....it is very informative.

Giving rates in 1980 versus 2008 for both children and adults; the numbers are both astounding and frightening. Also a breakdown of various diseases associated with obesity by gender. Follow this link for the "Graphic Science">>>>>
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...62898-001.html .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 08:55 PM

I must say I'm very disappointed noone has responded to this thread; nor has it had many reads. Perhaps I should have posted the thread in the Health Forum as this is a very serious problem in all Industrialized countries but even worse here in the United States.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,138,632 times
You would think with so much organized sports~soccer, baseball, softball, basketball...That our kids would be in shape...

Old 10-05-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
You would think with so much organized sports~soccer, baseball, softball, basketball...That our kids would be in shape...
I understand what you mean. But parents usually drive their children to these activities and IMO...I think it is a minority of kids participating in these same activities. When I was a kid we all played sports and outdoor games with the other kids within our neighborhood. We walked to the parks etc...to play without the adults hovering over us...it was unorganized; but very effective judging by the percentages of obese and overweight youth that we have today. I don't think it's the foods we eat...I think it's the drive a block, rather than walk mentality; coupled with very sedate lifestyles.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:09 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,350,760 times
I'd concur with this. I see countless persons who have the audacity to drive a block to the store for only one item. There are those who even 'drive' to the mailbox! It brings to mind the show 'Too Fat For 15 - Fighting Back.' Pretty soon , we will die by the millions yearly. Not all , but at least 50% can be attributed to laziness.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:34 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
PITTS

Times have changed for sure as kids/teens now days have tons of electronic entertainment to keep them occupied as i remember as a kid back in the 70's we had no computers, video games, cell phones etc..etc.. as all of our fun was playing outdoors and i remember that i was always stoked when my dad took me to K-Mart and bought me a new Spalding basketball as my friends and i would play basketball for hours upon hours on the weekends and also during the summer season not to mention participating in Little League Baseball and other school sporting leagues back then.

Hell i'm still mad that the ''Bad News Bears'' lost to the Yankees in the Championship Game in that classic 70's movie (1976) starring Tatum O'Neal

Old 10-07-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
I'd concur with this. I see countless persons who have the audacity to drive a block to the store for only one item. There are those who even 'drive' to the mailbox! It brings to mind the show 'Too Fat For 15 - Fighting Back.' Pretty soon , we will die by the millions yearly. Not all , but at least 50% can be attributed to laziness.
I agree...and I have seen teenagers drive a half block to go to a neighborhood convenience store. Part of the problem is attitudes....some people look down upon those who walk or bicycle. I've had insults yelled at me while bicycling and walking; as well as bottles and cans thrown at me here in Sarasota and this is not an isolated incident...it happens at least a few times every year to me here.....what's wrong with people!.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:57 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,350,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
PITTS

Times have changed for sure as kids/teens now days have tons of electronic entertainment to keep them occupied as i remember as a kid back in the 70's we had no computers, video games, cell phones etc..etc.. as all of our fun was playing outdoors and i remember that i was always stoked when my dad took me to K-Mart and bought me a new Spalding basketball as my friends and i would play basketball for hours upon hours on the weekends and also during the summer season not to mention participating in Little League Baseball and other school sporting leagues back then.

Hell i'm still mad that the ''Bad News Bears'' lost to the Yankees in the Championship Game in that classic 70's movie (1976) starring Tatum O'Neal
Did they find out where the beef was? I heard a GPK left it covered in mucous. His name - Lem Phlegm!!

No offense , but I , too am stuck in the 80's.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:29 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,337 times
I'm only 31 and I can already sadly say my niece and nephew's generation is already sedentary. When I was a kid I rode my bike EVERYWHERE! And I mean everywhere! All over my town/suburbs. I also played several sports per year, hiked, camped etc. My fondest childhood memories were spending my days and nights exploring the woods, wilderness, and creek by my house. My friends and I did everything in that creek from catching snapping turtles, finding indian arrowheads, playing army, riding motorcycles, etc. It was an amazing experience. Kids nowadays grow up in an artificial environment filled with crap food, crap entertainment, and just overall crap experiences.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:17 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Kids nowadays grow up in an artificial environment filled with crap food, crap entertainment, and just overall crap experiences.
So friggin true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness