U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-31-2007, 07:25 PM

217 posts, read 657,209 times
azloafer,how are you doing? You really have a plate full. May I ask your age and where you live? I turned 60 6 days ago, and live in Mountain View, CA. We have some really fine doctors in this area. I can check around with my docs. They are top notch. My hangup is I WON'T let them do a fusion. It is not the butcher who put me in this condition. If you wan't a corrective surgery for your back, I'll turn over every stone to try to get you help. I promise on my word I won't mislead you. Take care,skitow.(Patrick)
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 08:31 AM

693 posts, read 2,121,492 times
Default Reply with X-ray...

I have a fusion that was done with tubes and a cage in my lower back, that's why no one will touch my back anymore. I am not looking for another surgery attempt, I will live with it. I am 66 and live in Green Valley, AZ. Here is one of the X-rays:
Chronic Back Pain: Help, Advice, Treatment Options?-photos-921-reduced.jpeg Click on it to enlarge.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:01 PM

Hi azloafer. I've seen a lot of fusions and a lot of LIVE back operations on the medical channel on tv where I live, yours just doesn't look right to me. I am not a doctor by any means, but I can see why you are in such misery. Damn that's a lot of hardware!. I wouldn't feel ashamed to use a cane, I use one all the time. I was in a wheel chair for some time. Haven't used that piece of crap for many years now. If you ever go to a chair, make sure you have it fitted to you. I didn't so it is extremely uncomfortable. I take FLEXERIL. That is a med that is a muscle relaxer and a pain reliever. You could ask your doc if that might work for you. It no longer helps my pain but does relax your back. Iv'e been on it for 15 years or so. That's why it no longer helps my pain. My body has gotten used to it. I am so sorry for your condition. I wish I could help you. At least you live in a warm climate. If you lived in snow country, you would be worse off. I can't take cold weather at all. I stiffen up like a piano wire. Change subject for a sec. My antivirus has trashed my computer. It took me near an hour working on it to let me sign on line. Could be messed up now for a few days. I hope you can find a med that will work better for you and give you a better quality of life. My best to you,skitow.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:15 PM

Hi azloafer. You still watching? I called my doc and went on SOMA for 3 days. Can't handle it. Nothing but little sleep and horrible nightmares. Soma really upsets my stomach, so I went back to my old useless junk. At least FLEXERIL stops the nerves from jumping around. skitow

Old 08-07-2007, 07:21 PM

Default statefan

Hi. How are you coping with your back now? You've had a hard time. So many surgeries at such a young age. With all the new things I read about back ops I sure there is nothing but good in you're future. Hang in there,skitow.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:35 PM

693 posts, read 2,121,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitow View Post
Hi azloafer. You still watching? I called my doc and went on SOMA for 3 days. Can't handle it. Nothing but little sleep and horrible nightmares. Soma really upsets my stomach, so I went back to my old useless junk. At least FLEXERIL stops the nerves from jumping around. skitow
That's too bad. I take one tablet every 6 hours when my back is acting up. I sleep just fine with it. I know everyone reacts differently to medications. Two aspirin every 6 hours also helps. I make sure that I don't take them on an empty stomach. That's one of my other problems...my stomach is never empty! Ha

Old 08-07-2007, 08:22 PM

That's funny. Really! I am just the opposite. I have absolutely no appetite at all. I'm 5/11 and weigh about 160. Most of that weight is in my wide shoulders. My doc is all over me to eat properly. I'm getting close to being a diabetic. Not yet though. The ******** pain just controls me. I haven't found the answer yet. That's why I tried soma. My body just rejects most drugs. It's time for me to start some kind of (movement) plan. Like you, it is so damn painful to exercise. Take care.skitow.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:14 PM

9 posts, read 14,861 times
Default False TUBE MRI Scans and the CAUSE of BACK PAIN

From Independent UCLA Spine Studies (FONAR NEWS-111507 (http://tinyurl.com/2x4rkg - broken link)) From Aberdeen Medical University (FONAR NEWS-050707 (http://tinyurl.com/2k7cB8 - broken link)) more info (upright_mri : Messages : 2-50 of 1501 (http://tinyurl.com/8zemf - broken link)) Spine Measurements for Spine Drs. and Ortthopedic Surgeons (FONAR NEWS (http://tinyurl.com/fqb67 - broken link))

Old 01-14-2008, 04:43 PM

379 posts, read 31,223 times
So this article is saying that everyone who continues to have back pain(after being told they were fine) needs to have a new mri? Nice.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:18 AM

8 posts, read 29,012 times
Default Are Beanbags Good for BAckpain?

Hi,

I am not sure is this is the right forum for this question but I spent ages looking for an appropriate forum and I think this is the best match.

I have a bit of a bad back, it gets stiff if I haven't been exercising regularly, it tends to be at it's work after a long session watching TV on the couch. I was thinking of getting a large beanbags as they are very comfortable but mainly because the seem to offer great support for the back when sitting on them.

Does anyone have any ideas about this bean bag chairs? would they actually offer good support for my back or is there a likelyhood they are just going to make things worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness