U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:56 PM

50 posts, read 151,122 times

Advertisements

SO I have been experiencing, this for a like four months, first time, when i was home visiting, my mom in GA. It was the scariest thing ever, I felt like i was dying, I thought at first i had a anxiety attack, the ambulance came and i went to the hospital, well all checked out, as far as a heart attack,however the heart palpitations, came and went since then, so Im going to the cardiologist, and Im really scared. Im 34 years old, and Im just hoping, its stress related. Its so scary!!!! has anyone experienced this??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 10:09 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,302,934 times
Yes I have been having palps since about 1997. They started when I had a panic attack back then and now I have them randomly. When I am tired or stressed they are worse. I'm 40 now and they started when I was 27. The cardio Doc said everything was fine and suggested I take a mag and potassium supplement.

It's good to get a cardio workup to be safe and if you get cleared, you can take a magnesium supplement to help a bit. Try natural calm magnesium.

It is scary and sometimes I have clusters and it has the sensation of my heart sort of flipping although it isn't. I also get the feeling of being unable to get air for a brief moment.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:41 PM

7,632 posts, read 13,546,791 times
I've had them all my life and nothing was ever found to be causing them. I can go a long time without having any. Then all of a sudden I will get them. For me just changing a position can trigger one. Such as stepping off of a curve or making a sudden turn. For awhile I was having them almost immediately when I got into a swimming pool. For me it definitely seems to be movement causes them. I never have had an anxiety attack and that was ruled out also. I am not a coffee drinker or soda drinker so caffiene was ruled out long long ago. They can be scary and I have had some at the gym, again usually movement like lifting up to get off a weight bench. At times I have wondered if what triggers them is a rapid rise in blood pressure, but then I have never had high blood pressure.

What I have done all my life when I have one is to stoop down and hold my breath for a moment and they stop. I don't recommend what any other person should do, but that is what I instinctively seemed to learn to do to stop the palpitations years ago. Evidently it has worked and Im not dead yet from these palpitations.

I would definitely see a cardiologist or at least your primary care doctor for this. It will definitely help your peace of mind to know whats going on. Sometimes meds we take can trigger palpitations and yes for many it is stress or caffeine.

Im sure everything will work out just fine, but to rest your mind do make an appt.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
Yes I have been having palps since about 1997. They started when I had a panic attack back then and now I have them randomly. When I am tired or stressed they are worse. I'm 40 now and they started when I was 27. The cardio Doc said everything was fine and suggested I take a mag and potassium supplement.

It's good to get a cardio workup to be safe and if you get cleared, you can take a magnesium supplement to help a bit. Try natural calm magnesium.

It is scary and sometimes I have clusters and it has the sensation of my heart sort of flipping although it isn't. I also get the feeling of being unable to get air for a brief moment.
WOW this is awesome to find someone who understands, it is very scary!!! I was diagnosed with anxiety when i was 17, im 34 now but , it was like 3 months ago when i experienced my first heart palpitations, really scary, thanks so much for your post, yes i am going to follow up with the cardio DR. I just pray it comes back normal, I am Glad for you that it did thanks again

Old 12-03-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I've had them all my life and nothing was ever found to be causing them. I can go a long time without having any. Then all of a sudden I will get them. For me just changing a position can trigger one. Such as stepping off of a curve or making a sudden turn. For awhile I was having them almost immediately when I got into a swimming pool. For me it definitely seems to be movement causes them. I never have had an anxiety attack and that was ruled out also. I am not a coffee drinker or soda drinker so caffiene was ruled out long long ago. They can be scary and I have had some at the gym, again usually movement like lifting up to get off a weight bench. At times I have wondered if what triggers them is a rapid rise in blood pressure, but then I have never had high blood pressure.

What I have done all my life when I have one is to stoop down and hold my breath for a moment and they stop. I don't recommend what any other person should do, but that is what I instinctively seemed to learn to do to stop the palpitations years ago. Evidently it has worked and Im not dead yet from these palpitations.

I would definitely see a cardiologist or at least your primary care doctor for this. It will definitely help your peace of mind to know whats going on. Sometimes meds we take can trigger palpitations and yes for many it is stress or caffeine.

Im sure everything will work out just fine, but to rest your mind do make an appt.
wow I sure am sorry you have had to live your whole life like this, I know how it can effect you, I will make a appointment tomorrow, I am thankful for your time, explaining, this to me, it sure helps to know there are others, out there, who understands, )))

Old 12-03-2010, 09:05 AM

15,927 posts, read 33,591,063 times
I have had them off and on my whole life, I can go for months without any, and then be plagued almost daily for weeks. Mine seems related to allergies and/or food sensitivities. I seem to be in good health, nothing was ever diagnosed as out of the ordinary for me. I do think maybe diet plays a role and someone mentioned magnesium, which does help.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:05 AM

4,152 posts, read 10,248,391 times
I had them on and off for the past few years. It prompted me to get a physical, turns out I was hyperthyroid and heart palpitations are very common with hyperthyroid disease.
Also, I was told to stop taking my allergy medication (ClaritinD) due to the pseudoephephrine in it that could have sent me into cardiac arrest.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:50 AM

914 posts, read 4,158,277 times
I had a very similar thing happen to me. It was so scary! For me, my potassium levels drop too low sometimes. For the most part, I can correct it with diet, but it still is a little freaky when it crops up from time to time.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:40 AM

10,140 posts, read 18,546,841 times
I started to have them about 3 years ago and they were very bad at first--seemed like my heart was skipping every 3-5 beats--yes, I would lay there and count them. I had it checked out and they told me it wasn't serious. Then I started to take olive leaf extract for something else, and they stopped within days--the effect was very dramatic. It's worth a try and OLE is good for many other things--just google it.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 12,198 times
Yes, this is more common than ever. Nutrition counts for so much. Today people are complaining of a fluttering heart, a sense of fullness in the chest, a pounding heart or skipped heartbeats. These sensations, also called "heart palpitations," occur when the electrical system in the heart malfunctions. This malfunction disrupts the natural rhythm of the heart (arrhythmia).

I have a friend who was sure his palpitations signaled heart failure. I referred him to a cardiologist for a stress test and an ultrasound of his heart. Both tests revealed good heart function. I also told him to ask for thorough blood tests, which showed no problems.

The blood tests are key to finding nutritional imbalance. I evaluated his daily activities, food and drink. Right away, I suspected that his high consumption of caffeine might be causing his problem, and he followed my suggestion to eliminate it from his diet. Sure enough, after a week or so, his palpitations disappeared.

The same can be true when over-processed foods dominate the diet. This is common in America. We are "tired" and also wired to find a "quick fix" to every symptom or problem, but the "problem" is that the pill or quick-rememdy will often lead to further danger and on-going problems and disorder.

When we drink too much alcohol our body starts to shake. When we drink too much synthetic caffeine and processed sugars our body starts to shake but we label this as "energy." Energy drinks and anything besides natural soda is foreign or poison to the human body. Remember, we are made up of cells not our Ego!

Further, electrolyte imbalance might play a roll in the bodies "elctrical system." The kind of water we drink can be a problem too! Electrolytes in your body-particularly potassium, calcium, and magnesium-keep the electrical signals in your heart firing regularly. An imbalance can cause irregular beats and simple supplementation may correct them.

Most of us do not think we are a sensitive, living, breathing organism. Remember High School Chemistry? Our bodies need all of the elements found on the Periodic Table. When we are deficient in any area, that is where disorder and disease slips in. Today, we can receive nutrients and supplements from all over the world, so the truth is that we should have no disease or disorder. But there is no money in that.

Now, Caffeine, tobacco and alcohol. Too much stimulation from ingested chemicals may affect your heart. If you have recurring palpitations, you may find that reducing or perhaps eliminating one or more of these stimulants will solve the problem.

Medications. Many prescription and over-the-counter drugs can cause heart palpitations, particularly cold medications which contain pseudoephedrine. It's a good idea for anyone to avoid these. Opt for natural and homeopathic remedies when you have a cold.

Finally, there are fantastic lines of liquid supplements and even drinks we can put onto our daily menu that properly fuel the human body. The reason I know so much about this is because I study and lecture on nutrition having helped people beat diabetes, heart disease and obesity simply by slightly or drastically altering what they consume. With that, remember that it's not the Calories or the Carbohydrates that matter...it's the quality and quantity of nutrition found in each calorie or carb.

Food does matter.

To learn more about my experience helping others, and to maybe get involved, please take the Five Minute Tour: Easy.5minutetour.com

I highly recommend cutting out all soda and synthetic caffeine!!!

Facebook: -Peter Dean Bouloukos- & -Xowii Ventura-

Have a great day!!!

PDB

Last edited by Peter Dean Bouloukos; 12-04-2010 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: mistake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness