U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 02:36 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,010,253 times

Advertisements

How to help a torn ortator cuff?

My dh went to the doctor today, he has been having should pain for about 3 weeks, increasing in severity. They did an x-ray, said probably toorn rotator cuff, he has an MRI scheduled Tuesday. meanwhile, all they told him to do is take Motrin, didn't even prescribe any pain pills.

What can we do in the meantime to help with the pain? He came home from work today, he never takes off work. He can barely move his arm, and carries it in his other arm. a sling seems to make it worse.

Heat, cold? anything to help? Just the look on his face, he's almost gray with pain. If this continues over the weekend, we might go to one of those emergency clinics. Suggestions appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 03:29 PM

2,222 posts, read 9,137,109 times
Call his doctor. Get some anti-inflammatory pain medication for him. I have never had this condition, but I believe rest and and/or physical therapy would be the first possible treatment. However, if the MRI shows a severe tear, he may need surgery.

But no matter what, call the doctor. There is no reason for him to suffer like this.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Call his doctor. Get some anti-inflammatory pain medication for him. I have never had this condition, but I believe rest and and/or physical therapy would be the first possible treatment. However, if the MRI shows a severe tear, he may need surgery.

But no matter what, call the doctor. There is no reason for him to suffer like this.
I did call the doctor, they prescribed some lortab, seems to be helping.

As usual, it was a case of mis communication, mainly because doctors don't listen.

DS wet to his primary care physician today, they sent him to an orthopedic surgeon, who did see him right away. They did an x-ray, then scheduled an MRI for next Tuesday---soonest available. DH kept telling them he was in pain, that's why he was there. he also told them he was using OTC pain meds, like Motrin. so, they told him,---take Motrin for pain.

I called back and said this man is in tears from pain, and OTC Motrin simply doesn't work!

Somehow something slipped in the communication!

Old 12-11-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I did call the doctor, they prescribed some lortab, seems to be helping.

As usual, it was a case of mis communication, mainly because doctors don't listen.

DS wet to his primary care physician today, they sent him to an orthopedic surgeon, who did see him right away. They did an x-ray, then scheduled an MRI for next Tuesday---soonest available. DH kept telling them he was in pain, that's why he was there. he also told them he was using OTC pain meds, like Motrin. so, they told him,---take Motrin for pain.

I called back and said this man is in tears from pain, and OTC Motrin simply doesn't work!

Somehow something slipped in the communication!
I'm glad it's helping. Tuesday seems so far off when you are in pain.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:39 PM

55 posts, read 222,537 times
2 years ago I tore my rotator cuff BAD. It hurt so bad I went to the emergency ward, they took xrays and 2 days later had an MRI taken. I went into surgery 1 week later and had it repaired, went home from surgery in 3 hours. For the next 6 weeks my left arm was in a sling and I slept in my recliner for 6 weeks.
I went to pt for 4 months 3 times a week, it does'nt hurt but its not like it used to be. I can't lift my arm over my shoulder the doctors said thats the best it will ever be.
Its been 2 years now and there is no pain at all, BUT I can't change a lite bulb in the garage or touch the top of my head. Other then that, I'm ok.
Good luck.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:16 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,842,224 times
Ice & immobilize with a sling.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Ice & immobilize with a sling.
He says a sling makes it worse, puts pressure on it.

I like the idea of a recliner, he has difficulty sleeping, when he lays down it creates pressure.

Just perhaps it might get better on its own, I've had things seem really bad, then they just go away, lets hope this is one of them.

We still don't know for sure what we're dealing with, the MRI will tell us, but that's next Tuesday, a long time to wait.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 12-12-2010, 05:43 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,698,087 times
Quote:

I got hurt at work, they started me on a course of physical therapy without knowing what was wrong with the shoulder. I had torn the rotator cuff, pulled two tendons off of the bone and the P.T. made matters worse because it exaggerated the injury. The surgery was horrible, well..........OK, I was out for the surgery, didn't hurt a bit, the recovery from the surgery was horrible. I, and others can still hear parts of the shoulder grinding against each other, interesting sensation, hurts like hell. Physical therapy without full knowledge of the extent of the injury is both foolhearty and dangerous.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I got hurt at work, they started me on a course of physical therapy without knowing what was wrong with the shoulder. I had torn the rotator cuff, pulled two tendons off of the bone and the P.T. made matters worse because it exaggerated the injury. The surgery was horrible, well..........OK, I was out for the surgery, didn't hurt a bit, the recovery from the surgery was horrible. I, and others can still hear parts of the shoulder grinding against each other, interesting sensation, hurts like hell. Physical therapy without full knowledge of the extent of the injury is both foolhearty and dangerous.
I agree. That's why it is important to see what the MRI shows. If it wasn't clear in my post, hopefully it is now.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I agree. That's why it is important to see what the MRI shows. If it wasn't clear in my post, hopefully it is now.

The MRI is tomorrow monging, we are awaiting the results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness