U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 08:31 PM

31,323 posts, read 13,796,107 times

Advertisements

I had such bad osteoarthritis in my thumb joint that I would wake up crying in the middle of the night if I rolled over on it. I had several cortisone injections and they 'sort of helped' but they always hurt awful for a few days afterwards and never worked for more than a month or two.

I finally had surgery on it, they did what's called an 'anchovy procedure'. They make two tiny incisions in your forearm and cut out a piece of tendon. They then open up your thumb and roll up the tendon and put it in your thumb joint where the cartilage would be. I had this done 30 years ago and my thumb has not hurt me since. The hand I had the surgery done on is somewhat weaker than my other hand but not to the extent that it keeps me from doing anything.

I strongly suggest that if you have that condition you ask your doctor about doing an anchovy procedure. It's same day surgery and I was given the option to be put out or remain awake so I stayed awake and watched them do the procedure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursegoes View Post
I've had steroid shots to both thumbs for arthritis. Dr said as long as it helps, I could continue. But one day it won't help. Surgery is the only option then. I've watched you tube for various surgeries and am informed now on recovery process. Yes, shots hurt but for a brief period only and well worth the discomfort. I've only had one flare, which I'm having right now. Only use Dr that uses flouroscopy to guide needle. I'm headed for a future surgery but will have to plan backup for the recovery can take 3 months. Good successful rate. I am too busy to give up now....love to crochet, take care of invalid, clean my own house.
I went back to work a few days after I had surgery on my thumb with a cast on my hand, if I remember correctly they took the cast off about 5 or 6 weeks later and I had to have physical therapy for a few weeks in order to regain the use of my thumb.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:57 PM

5,008 posts, read 11,106,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I went back to work a few days after I had surgery on my thumb with a cast on my hand, if I remember correctly they took the cast off about 5 or 6 weeks later and I had to have physical therapy for a few weeks in order to regain the use of my thumb.
You are exactly right, and the 30 years later the procedure remains almost exactly the same right down to the 5-6 weeks in cast or splint followed by hand therapy.

There is one new wrinkle in that instead of the "anchovy" of tendon you describe which is exactly right, we are doing more now with the "mini tight rope" which doesn't require the tendon graft.

https://www.arthrex.com/hand-wrist/m...-cmc-technique

Slightly quicker recovery with this procedure, still very effective for CMC arthritis

Old 08-29-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
You are exactly right, and the 30 years later the procedure remains almost exactly the same right down to the 5-6 weeks in cast or splint followed by hand therapy.

There is one new wrinkle in that instead of the "anchovy" of tendon you describe which is exactly right, we are doing more now with the "mini tight rope" which doesn't require the tendon graft.

https://www.arthrex.com/hand-wrist/m...-cmc-technique

Slightly quicker recovery with this procedure, still very effective for CMC arthritis
I was amazed at how well it worked, at the time I was thinking that if I had a 50-60% improvement I would be happy, but after the surgery I had zero pain and I still don't. I wish they could fix my knees by stuffing some tendon in them

Old 10-06-2017, 10:37 PM

1,042 posts, read 1,452,849 times
I have significant arthritis in my left thumb, with pain like nothing I've ever experienced. I'm left handed and can't use that hand to write any more. Can't even sign my name.

So...my hand doctor gave me an injection a couple of days ago, not right in the joint but close. The injection hurt and burned like hell but that's OK if it helps. So far I'm getting some relief, so I might be lucky. He said that in the long run I'll eventually need surgery, which I'll gladly have. He said surgery means no more pain once you get through recovery and PT.

My other thumb is starting to have the same problem now.

My hand doctor had me go to a lab for a blood draw today to check for things that could cause me to have so many joint problems all over. One thing they're checking for is rheumatoid arthritis. I don't know what else is being checked.

As for pain relief, I take ibuprofen during the day and a low dose of Tramadol in the evening. I would like to get to the point where I don't have to take anything at all.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
I have significant arthritis in my left thumb, with pain like nothing I've ever experienced. I'm left handed and can't use that hand to write any more. Can't even sign my name.

So...my hand doctor gave me an injection a couple of days ago, not right in the joint but close. The injection hurt and burned like hell but that's OK if it helps. So far I'm getting some relief, so I might be lucky. He said that in the long run I'll eventually need surgery, which I'll gladly have. He said surgery means no more pain once you get through recovery and PT.

My other thumb is starting to have the same problem now.

My hand doctor had me go to a lab for a blood draw today to check for things that could cause me to have so many joint problems all over. One thing they're checking for is rheumatoid arthritis. I don't know what else is being checked.

As for pain relief, I take ibuprofen during the day and a low dose of Tramadol in the evening. I would like to get to the point where I don't have to take anything at all.
Oh I know what that pain is like and it's really terrible. I didn't get relief from anything except surgery.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:19 AM

1,705 posts, read 3,185,032 times
I had the CMC surgery on my right hand 6 months ago and was amazed at how great my hand felt (I also have RA and my fingers are still painful). So great in fact that before my cast was off I was planning surgery n my left hand.

My Dr. was talking to his intern(fellow?) as he was pulling up my X-rays o my left hand and said "Wow! I haven't seen one this bad in a long time).

I had the surgery on 9-12 and again my hand feels great even in the cast.

I went the cortisone shot route on my shoulders and it made no difference. So, when I could no longer live with the pain in my thumbs I went straight to the surgical option. Seriously, the CMC surgeries were a couple of the best decisions I have ever made.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:28 AM

6,462 posts, read 4,416,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I had the CMC surgery on my right hand 6 months ago and was amazed at how great my hand felt (I also have RA and my fingers are still painful). So great in fact that before my cast was off I was planning surgery n my left hand.

My Dr. was talking to his intern(fellow?) as he was pulling up my X-rays o my left hand and said "Wow! I haven't seen one this bad in a long time).

I had the surgery on 9-12 and again my hand feels great even in the cast.

I went the cortisone shot route on my shoulders and it made no difference. So, when I could no longer live with the pain in my thumbs I went straight to the surgical option. Seriously, the CMC surgeries were a couple of the best decisions I have ever made.
I'm very happy for your surgical successes! Nothing like getting immediate relief!! GOD Bless!

I just had done on 10-13-17 (Friday the 13th lol) a minimally invasive trigger finger "procedure" which involves NO stitches and it's an outpatient in his office!

Could drive right afterwards and NO pain!

I had to go to Lakeland, FL for this to a doctor who invented a tool coupled with ultrasound fixed my finger in 3 minutes (yes 3 minutes) after prep.

Normally to fix this it's surgery which the affected hand gets gets a long cut with stitches and a long recovery.

I now have some swelling which is normal and when that subsides that finger will bend entirely to my palm which it did right after the doctor did his thing, now it goes about 85-90 percent to that point.

Here's today's photo of that small incision:
Attached Thumbnails
cortisone shot in hand still painful-20171020_122552.jpg  

Old 10-20-2017, 01:09 PM

1,705 posts, read 3,185,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
I'm very happy for your surgical successes! Nothing like getting immediate relief!! GOD Bless!

I just had done on 10-13-17 (Friday the 13th lol) a minimally invasive trigger finger "procedure" which involves NO stitches and it's an outpatient in his office!

Could drive right afterwards and NO pain!

I had to go to Lakeland, FL for this to a doctor who invented a tool coupled with ultrasound fixed my finger in 3 minutes (yes 3 minutes) after prep.

Normally to fix this it's surgery which the affected hand gets gets a long cut with stitches and a long recovery.

I now have some swelling which is normal and when that subsides that finger will bend entirely to my palm which it did right after the doctor did his thing, now it goes about 85-90 percent to that point.

Here's today's photo of that small incision:
Wow! That sounds great and I'm pleased for you. It is simply amazing what Dr.s can do for things these days; it is lucky that your Dr. was in the vicinity.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:09 PM

6,462 posts, read 4,416,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Wow! That sounds great and I'm pleased for you. It is simply amazing what Dr.s can do for things these days; it is lucky that your Dr. was in the vicinity.
Thanks but I wished he was in the vicinity.

However I flew from NJ to Florida and back quite cheaply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness