Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 01:11 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times

Advertisements

I have a close friend who is a DO with 30+ years experience. He tells me that 20, 30 years ago there was a significant difference in DOs and MDs, but now there is not, especially among the younger physicians. MD curriculums have adopted a certain amount of the holistic philosophies that DOs are known for, and DO curriculums are not as focused on this as they used to be. He told me there are a few states that are licensing both types of physicians as MDs to simplify things, since the differences are minor. He also talked about OMT techniques, which he enjoyed doing during the 80s, but insurance-wise the reimbursement is not so great and it's not really encouraged by the big hospitals and organizations that own most clinics. It's quicker and makes more money to just write a prescription and go on to the next patient, unfortunately. Based on this, IMO if you are looking for a DO that can do OMT-type techniques, I would look for an older physician, and specifically ask him or her about it.

I have seen both DOs and MDs and IMO I don't see a big difference. I prefer a physician who is straight-forward with me, explains things to me, and has a good bedside manner, and I have not noticed that one kind do this better than the other. But that's just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 01:19 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I am seeing a DO now as is my daughter, neighbor and my daughter will be taking her 15 yr old son. She does the bodywork and my daughter is HIGH on her work...I've only had 1 session and was HIGH for about the evening after the work. She helps seniors and so accepts medicare so it will be interesting to see how medicare pays her. I hope I can continue with her. She is in her late 30's I think.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:32 PM

The D.O. that worked with my back for some 30 yrs also is a doctor that helped me with thyroid support. I had been working to get what I believed a sluggish thyroid from 1991 to 2002 and the other MD's I was seeing all went by the numbers and I was always in the "normal mantra" range to them...so one day I called my D.O. and asked him what he knew about thyroid etc...and we talked about what I was dealing with and he knew immediately I needed help with thyroid, so called in for a script of Armour and in 4 days 10 years of depression lifted...then I went to work with talking on thyroid support groups, reading books, etc. etc. and I continue with desiccated thyroid support since 2002. No more depression. I had a slight lowness in 2006 and found how Vit D deficient I was.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:38 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Thanks again!

I'm trying to understand how an osteopath would benefit me, as someone who is totally not into drugs, maintains a wholistic diet. I'm 62 and really hate going to regular physicians, they don't seem to understand my preference to avoid prescription drugs (they don't have any treatments other than that). If your DO does not do spinal manipulation on you, how does he help you more than a regular doctor could?
He is more naturally inclined. He might have a clue about the natural modes of care and probably won't lose his license if he talks about them. Plus he has an understanding of the musculoskeletal system which the M.D. lacks.

This article talks about the main differences. Should I go DO or MD? - Osteopathic Med Student

Old 05-10-2016, 06:46 PM

My daughter just had her 6th session and she feels LIGHT elevated all over. My neighbor just had her 3rd session and she says the same. These workers, if you find a D.O. who does bodywork, get blood moving. My daughter is standing taller.

Now my daughter has a collapsed tendon in her foot and this work is helping with that pain, but she still may need surgery on that foot. Bodywork can just do so much. It can't rebuild feet etc. There is a list of "traditional" D.O.s in a thread here.

I had to miss my 2nd appt as she didn't have an opening and was willing to work at 7:15PM for me, but I did not want to go out that late, it's late for me. So I see her next 3 weeks at a decent time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness