U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:43 PM

221 posts, read 185,526 times
Default Are there more deaths at Christmas-New Year time of year, or is it a myth?

Todaymy neighbor died after drinking herself unconscious, at home, and ended up face down in a basin of water. She was discovered at 6 am this morning. It wasn't a surprise, as the lady was seriously psychotic and in the process of being evicted from her apartment.

My mother died, in the early hours of New Year's Day, many years ago, from terminal cancer. When I think about it, a higher percentage of people I've known that have passed away, mostly from natural causes, at this time of the year.

Has anyone else noticed from his/her life experience that deaths are greater at this time of year, or is my observation just random chance? I looked on Internet, and answers I got were that there are no definitive stats to show a sudden peak at this time of year, but in other areas, domestic violence, auto accidents, suicides, and even some evidence of greater homicides, there are sudden peaks from a couple of weeks before Christmas until a few days after New Year's Day.

Thank you for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 01:58 PM

8,729 posts, read 5,802,816 times
I don't know, but one of my friends just passed over the weekend...

Old 12-21-2010, 02:39 PM

562 posts, read 598,949 times
I think there are more deaths following black friday and into the first days/weeks of the new year.

Reasons:

Weather - Road conditions and such make it more dangerous to be out and about.

Drinking - With all the holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years) a lot of people get drunk. There's drinking and driving, or alcohol poisoning, or...

Heart Attacks/Illness - Thanksgiving and Christmas, a meal tends to go along with it. Lets be honest, Americans don't eat healthy to begin with, and these meals tend to be salty and fatty which in some people can trigger a heart attack. As far as other illnesses, I think some people feel like "I'll enjoy this last holiday season with my family and then I'll pass on". A lot of people in despair do similar things, but don't wait until the end of the year. They feel sad and lonely and unloved and give up. The holidays are depressing for some.

That's my 2 cents.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:06 PM

525 posts, read 596,474 times
Noone I was close to passed on between Thanksgiving and New Year's but then I don't kinow many people nowdays

Old 12-21-2010, 07:56 PM

914 posts, read 2,218,913 times
High fat food, plus cold, plus stress can be major triggers for a heart attack. Heart attack deaths to climb this time of year. I don't know about other causes of death, though, other than that suicide is more common than usual.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:24 PM

55 posts, read 73,291 times
my uncle passed away this morning from kidney disease at age 53.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:53 AM

15,942 posts, read 27,826,091 times
Apparently it's true! A minor spike, but a spike nevertheless. Why the day after Christmas is hazardous to your heart - CNN.com

Old 12-22-2010, 09:54 AM

15,942 posts, read 27,826,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE2015 View Post
My condolences on your loss.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:27 PM

48 posts, read 72,804 times
As a paramedic, I can definately tell you that yes, there are more deaths around the holidays- especially suicides. Money issues, people missing their families, domestic arguements increase over the holidays. This is worsened by shorter days, dreary weather.. the list goes on & on (and that's JUST the suicides). It's so sad, but it happens.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:35 PM

29,990 posts, read 18,697,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE2015 View Post
So sorry for your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness